Author Topic: McDonald's with record sales  (Read 11007 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
McDonald's with record sales
« on: January 24, 2012, 04:39:09 PM »
Or, inferior goods beautifully illustrated.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/9035768/McDonalds-hits-record-27bn-turnover.html

McDonald's has done very well in the past few years. Why? Because people are suffering.

McDonald's represents cheap, quick food. As people have less cash, they substitute away from "good" food (sit down restaurants and the like) to cheaper alternatives. So, when people have less money, they buy more McDonald's. As a result, McDonald's does better in down times.

(The article also notes McDonald's have improved their coffee, but I would argue that's also a matter of the downturn. $1 coffee versus $4 coffee at Starbucks is another easy choice in downturns. This aspect may not represent inferior goods, merely a substitute.)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 02:48:49 PM by mtnbkr »
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

brimic

• friends
Re: McDonald's with record sales
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 05:00:04 PM »
Their dollar menu is pure genius.
I stop and get a $1 coffee (most of the time decaf) every morning on the way to work, as do a lot of people I know.
Their coffee is actually pretty good- better than most gas station fare.
When you order, it isn't much to throw in a $1 Sausage McMuffin or two- it ain't easy to resist.
The stores that run efficiently, tend to draw a lot of customers, regular customers.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 05:42:01 PM »
I stop and get a $1 coffee (most of the time decaf) every morning on the way to work, as do a lot of people I know.
When you order, it isn't much to throw in a $1 Sausage McMuffin or two- it ain't easy to resist.
The stores that run efficiently, tend to draw a lot of customers, regular customers.

I actually prefer McDonald's coffee to Starbucks. The fact that it's a lot cheaper is a bonus. And I LOVE the Dollar Menu. When I'm running around and really busy, I like being able to get two McDoubles and only spend $2.12 (around here) for a fast lunch. Even a six inch sub at Subway is almost $4 otherwise, never mind Cousin's or Jimmy John's. Qdoba is insanely expensive, IMO. I rarely eat there. And McDonald's Mcdouble seems more like food to me then whatever dollar burrito thing Taco Bell sells with mostly squeeze cheese and corn chips as the filling.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 05:45:24 PM by cosine »
Andy

Lee

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 07:52:33 PM »
I don't eat there every morning...but quite a bit. A senior coffee and a sausage biscuit runs ~$1.50.  I don't eat there because I have less money...but because I want to keep more of it
( it's Scottish after all).  And truthfully, I think their breakfast stuff is really good.

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 08:14:07 PM »
I can't justify spending $7 at McDonald's.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 11:26:47 PM »
Breakfast burrito.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 12:08:25 AM »
When I got seriously broke, I started taking the kids to McD's PlayPlaces around town.  Cheap, decent food, fun time for the kiddos, etc. 

Now?  Applie pie, a hash brown, and a coke.  Breakfast of champion doc reviewers.  =D

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 07:33:12 AM »
Free wi-fi and food! I am on a 70% fast food diet, staying pretty healthy, lots of salad, lots of gym time. I am in McDs or Chick-Fil-A everyday now.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 08:24:37 AM »
I'm not a huge fan of their food, but I hit the drive through in the mornings quite often.  A caramel mocha for my wife and a large diet coke for me on the commute in works nicely. 
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 08:35:11 AM »
McD's is my first choice for cheap food, Taco Bell would be but once in awhile to appease the spawn we will hit up McD's.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 09:09:56 AM »
Unsweetened ice tea for me, please.  Otherwise, their offerings make me  [barf]
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 10:25:43 AM »
Qdoba is insanely expensive, IMO. I rarely eat there.
I'd eat at Qdoba a lot more if they cut the size of their entrees in half and also halved the prices.
If I go their for lunch and get a burrito or nachos, I get real sluggish the rest of the day.

Barack Obama

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 11:46:36 AM »
I'd eat at Qdoba a lot more if they cut the size of their entrees in half and also halved the prices.
If I go their for lunch and get a burrito or nachos, I get real sluggish the rest of the day.

Chipotle, Freebird, and Moe's all follow the same model.  2 pounds of food thats not that good for you, costs $8.  And people wonder why they're so damn fat.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 12:47:49 PM »

2 pounds of food thats not that good for you, costs $8.  And people wonder why they're so damn fat.
Also cut out about 95% of the salt. After eating there, I feel like I've been gut shot and have an insatiable thirst. =|

Barack Obama

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 01:08:30 PM »

Yes the $1 menu is a good marketing tool.
I still crack up @ Arby's trying to market their ridiculously priced food in commercials.
They ain't even close to a buck.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 01:29:22 PM »
Yes the $1 menu is a good marketing tool.
I still crack up @ Arby's trying to market their ridiculously priced food in commercials.
They ain't even close to a buck.

Well you do get what you pay for.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 02:01:49 PM »
Also cut out about 95% of the salt. After eating there, I feel like I've been gut shot and have an insatiable thirst. =|

Amen, I'd be a more inclined to eat at restaurants more if the salt content were dropped at a lot of places.

Sort of thread jack, it does make me happy that in the canned vegetable aisle now there are no salt added versions of most items that do not cost any more than the normal stuff.  It sure makes it easier to cook healthy now that I've mostly used up my frozen stock from the garden.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 02:10:26 PM by 41magsnub »

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 03:10:43 PM »

A senior coffee and a sausage biscuit runs ~$1.50. 

The senior special.  The first time they gave that to me, I was kind of insulted.  The girl at the counter said, "You deserve it for dealing with that many years of crap."  Made me feel better and I kind of agree with her on that.  :laugh:

erictank

• friends
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 04:50:37 PM »
I don't eat there every morning...but quite a bit. A senior coffee and a sausage biscuit runs ~$1.50.  I don't eat there because I have less money...but because I want to keep more of it
( it's Scottish after all).  And truthfully, I think their breakfast stuff is really good.

This.  Except the senior part does not yet apply to me.

McD's breakfast stuff is GOOD.  Not great, but head and shoulders above any other fast food breakfast in my area.  I probably hit them up about 1-2 times a month, I'd guess. Haven't had their coffee in a long, long time - since before people started saying it had gotten good.  I do the large soda substitution when I get a McD's breakfast meal (and I drink Diet Coke by choice, so while I get the chemical and acid loading from it, I don't get the sugar). I should try the coffee one of these days.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 05:06:22 PM »
I can't stand most of McD's breakfast stuff. I do Hardee's for breakfast. But I can't go a month without McD's fries and a greesy ? beef patty, with waxy cheese, and the pickles.

Yum.

And also, their angus burgers arn't half bad. Equal to Hardee's five doller burgers.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 08:45:52 PM »
But I can't go a month without McD's fries and a greesy ? beef patty, with waxy cheese, and the pickles.

I'm kinda the same. I just have to have a sack of McD's hockey-puck burgers every so often.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 09:09:04 PM »
I'll take chick fil a or bojangles over mcdonalds breakfast ty.

Still though no one beats their fries
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012, 10:37:19 PM »
Bo-what-les? 

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2012, 10:41:00 PM »
I'll stop at McDonalds occasionally when I'm desiring a food substitute....otherwise, I'll stick with Sonic or the local greasy spoons....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2012, 07:20:37 AM »
Bo-what-les? 
Bojangles

It's like KFC but actually tastes like fried chicken. And open for breakfast too.

Course, I say this as I munch on a Chick fil a breakfast burrito
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.