Author Topic: Oak Ridge officers won't be charged in road-rage incident  (Read 32384 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Oak Ridge officers won't be charged in road-rage incident
« on: January 25, 2012, 09:45:03 AM »
This is getting old. 

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/jan/24/knox-county-das-office-oak-ridge-officers-wont/

"Knox County prosecutors will not file charges against two off-duty Oak Ridge police officers accused of pulling a handgun on a motorist during an alleged road-rage incident last month."

Compare & contrast:
"Brock Estep, 31, of Knoxville, alleged that two men in a Toyota Avalon attempted to cut him off in traffic as they pulled out of the Waffle House parking lot at the corner of Weisgarber Road and Papermill Drive on Dec. 15."

"The officers' names have not been released."

"We determined they acted reasonably," Gill said.

Maybe it was mutual hostility, maybe they met some threshold of perceived danger.  Thing is, anyone here expect to not have to spend big bucks defending such actions, were they to pull guns on an off-duty cop?

As instapundit writes, "Laws are for the little people."
http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/135931/

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
Re: Oak Ridge officers won't be charged in road-rage incident
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 10:00:30 AM »
In terms of public opinion / public perception, the effect of one isolated incident is trivial . . . but when people become aware of many such incidents of LEOs behaving badly, the cumulative effects become significant. In some places, even regular, normally law abiding citizens are starting to regard the police as adversaries.

Which is sad . . .  =(
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 10:12:30 AM »
There was one here in the DC area recently regarding a motorcyclist and an off duty MD cop. The video was awful. Friggin jerks.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 10:20:36 AM »
It makes sense from an authoritarian POV. In order for Police to be able to control the population through force, there has to be some form of distinct separation between them and the general population. If police were treated under the same law as the rest of the citizenry, they would be very cautious at using violence to subdue and keep people in check. This would make them less effective as tools of government control over the populace. It is therefore in the best interest of those who govern us that the police remain relatively unaccountable for aggression against "civilians". They are more likely to enforce government's will if they are not held responsible for any "damages" they cause.

On a side note, NEVER exit your vehicle in a road-rage incident to tell the other driver "what is what".
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 10:33:24 AM »
I'm fortunate... most of the cops i know personally are very much pro-citizens rights.

I have never personally KNOWN the stereotypical JBT-type "officer."

In fact, in a recent conversation with one of my cop friends, he identified the moment he's asked to confiscate weapons from people a'la New Orleans will be the moment he takes off the uniform
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 10:58:07 AM »
I'm fortunate... most of the cops i know personally are very much pro-citizens rights.

In fact, in a recent conversation with one of my cop friends, he identified the moment he's asked to confiscate weapons from people a'la New Orleans will be the moment he takes off the uniform

Most I know are like that, but a few are going to follow orders, whatever they may be.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 11:09:20 AM »
As a side note... When I was a drill sergeant, my troops EVERY cycle got a long block of instruction on where their loyalties should lie (i.e. the constitution) and some Situational brainstorming regarding what they should do if they're ever ordered to do  unconstitutional things.

Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 11:46:38 AM »

Me too, mostly...

The cops I know personally or that are in my family are the former type.
I have a feeling that the JBT-types mainly keep to their own JBT-cliques.

I have had experience with some of these types a decade or so ago when I was in a billiards league. There were about 20 taverns in the league, we played a couple of times a week with all different kinds of people in different environments- outlaw bikers, punk rockers, Western bars, upper middle class types, emo/goths, old farts, and everyone got along really well. There was a 'cop bar' in the league that noone like to play at- the clientele there were a bunch of meatheads- rude, obnoxious, tried to intimidate everyone who came into the place, just all around high speed-low drag jackoffs.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

griz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 01:00:00 PM »
It makes sense from an authoritarian POV. In order for Police to be able to control the population through force, there has to be some form of distinct separation between them and the general population. If police were treated under the same law as the rest of the citizenry, they would be very cautious at using violence to subdue and keep people in check. This would make them less effective as tools of government control over the populace. It is therefore in the best interest of those who govern us that the police remain relatively unaccountable for aggression against "civilians". They are more likely to enforce government's will if they are not held responsible for any "damages" they cause.

On a side note, NEVER exit your vehicle in a road-rage incident to tell the other driver "what is what".

That is so over the top that I can't tell if it is sarcasm or not.  Just to start, only in a police state do the police control the population through force.  Big difference between using force to subdue an individual and using force as a policy on an entire population. 
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 01:06:11 PM »
This is getting old. 

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/jan/24/knox-county-das-office-oak-ridge-officers-wont/

"Knox County prosecutors will not file charges against two off-duty Oak Ridge police officers accused of pulling a handgun on a motorist during an alleged road-rage incident last month."

They'll probably celebrate by going out and shooting someone's dog  (it's OK, it wasn't a police dog)
"It's good, though..."

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 01:20:24 PM »
Just to start, only in a police state do the police control the population through force.

So where exactly do you think we are headed?
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 01:52:04 PM »
There was one here in the DC area recently regarding a motorcyclist and an off duty MD cop. The video was awful. Friggin jerks.

yea the video was awful.  and awful edited. if the doofus on the bike hadn't tried that hack job editing he likely woulda walked with an 80 dollar ticket .  he beat the wiretap charge but hes still got some sweet traffic charges he richly deserved
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 01:54:14 PM »
This is getting old. 

Compare & contrast:
"Brock Estep, 31, of Knoxville, alleged that two men in a Toyota Avalon attempted to cut him off in traffic as they pulled out of the Waffle House parking lot at the corner of Weisgarber Road and Papermill Drive on Dec. 15."

"The officers' names have not been released."

"We determined they acted reasonably," Gill said.

Maybe it was mutual hostility, maybe they met some threshold of perceived danger.  Thing is, anyone here expect to not have to spend big bucks defending such actions, were they to pull guns on an off-duty cop?

As instapundit writes, "Laws are for the little people."
http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/135931/

what happened? is there evidence that causes you to believe they didn't act reasonably?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 01:55:45 PM »
yea the video was awful.  and awful edited. if the doofus on the bike hadn't tried that hack job editing he likely woulda walked with an 80 dollar ticket .  he beat the wiretap charge but hes still got some sweet traffic charges he richly deserved

Source?

Also, what does that have to do with anything?

FACT: Off duty cop got out of the car and DREW A *expletive deleted*ING GUN, without identifying himself immediately, on a dude.

A dude who was NOT, you know, raping, robbing, or killing anyone.

Also, i didn't see any edits. I saw continuous helmet cam footage.

And the kicker was: he wasn't even riding that recklessly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK5bMSyJCsg

I see one continuous vid.

Lemme guess. He's a bad guy cuz he's riding a motorcycle, right?

THey got him for 80 MPH.

EIGHTY.

YOu think that's worthy of getting a gun drawn on you?

I suppose you've never travelled 80MPH?

Everyone went nuts because his SPEEDO said a huge number. He also had gearing changes on the bike, and no speedo-healer.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 02:03:21 PM by Fitz »
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

• friends
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 02:11:36 PM »
Source?

Also, what does that have to do with anything?

FACT: Off duty cop got out of the car and DREW A *expletive deleted*ING GUN, without identifying himself immediately, on a dude.

A dude who was NOT, you know, raping, robbing, or killing anyone.

Also, i didn't see any edits. I saw continuous helmet cam footage.

And the kicker was: he wasn't even riding that recklessly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK5bMSyJCsg

I see one continuous vid.

Lemme guess. He's a bad guy cuz he's riding a motorcycle, right?

THey got him for 80 MPH.

EIGHTY.

YOu think that's worthy of getting a gun drawn on you?

I suppose you've never travelled 80MPH?

Everyone went nuts because his SPEEDO said a huge number. He also had gearing changes on the bike, and no speedo-healer.

you missed all the hoopla?  search is your friend  it was discussed here.  and he rode a wheelie at 110 as he passed a bus on the right.  he topped out at 130 in traffic and ironically?  his own hd vid is what nailed him. stupid should hurt. you imagine junior didn't know it was a cop?  is that the thin green line?  or just you deciding to back up a squid rider? cop wasn't outa control and never pointed the gun anywhere unsafe.

i bet that was a real career limiter for the boy. and i know if the grown son i let live in my basement got my house raided he and i would have a come to jesus moment.  you didn't hear the cop identify himself?  is that cause you saw the vid he edited the audio outa? or you believe the badge on his belt was invisible?

griz

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 02:12:48 PM »
So where exactly do you think we are headed?

Maybe I should have asked a simple question so I could understand your intent:  Are you in favor of an authoritarian police state?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 02:14:47 PM »
you missed all the hoopla?  search is your friend  it was discussed here.  and he rode a wheelie at 110 as he passed a bus on the right.  he topped out at 130 in traffic and ironically?  his own hd vid is what nailed him. stupid should hurt. you imagine junior didn't know it was a cop?  is that the thin green line?  or just you deciding to back up a squid rider? cop wasn't outa control and never pointed the gun anywhere unsafe.

i bet that was a real career limiter for the boy. and i know if the grown son i let live in my basement got my house raided he and i would have a come to jesus moment.  you didn't hear the cop identify himself?  is that cause you saw the vid he edited the audio outa? or you believe the badge on his belt was invisible?

Watch the full video. The identification came after "Get off the motorcycle, get off the motorcycle, get off the motorcycle"

I see no badge. Maybe this guy didn't either. Especially since he was likely focused on the GUN

I say again. The radar caught him going passed the unmarked at 80.

the guy didn't have a speedo healer after his gearing change. What is on the video is irrelevant, as the speedo was not accurate.

The radar caught him at 80.

Wheelie?

LOL

yeah, sure.

That's cause for drawing a weapon on someone.

They threw the bull*expletive deleted* wiretapping charge on because they were caught being pricks.

Thin green line? What is that supposed to mean?

Did you watch the video or are you just going off what people are saying on cop forums?

I've been 130+ on my motorcycle at the track. He was NOT going 130.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 02:19:14 PM by Fitz »
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

• friends
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 02:20:02 PM »
Watch the full video. The identification came after "Get off the motorcycle, get off the motorcycle, get off the motorcycle"

I say again. The radar caught him going passed the unmarked at 80.

the guy didn't have a speedo healer after his gearing change. What is on the video is irrelevant, as the speedo was not accurate.

The radar caught him at 80.

Wheelie?

LOL

yeah, sure.

That's cause for drawing a weapon on someone.

They threw the bull*expletive deleted* wiretapping charge on because they were caught being pricks.

Did you watch the video or are you just going off what people are saying on cop forums?

I've been 130+ on my motorcycle at the track. He was NOT going 130.

no radar  try again  i watched the long version of the video  the first one he posted before he decided to cast himself as a victim and started peddling the "the video wasn't working line"

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 02:21:30 PM »
Yes radar. I've seen the citation. They got him on radar doing 80.

But we'll just agree to disagree.

BTW: if they didn't have radar (or pacing,, and we know it wasn't that), the ticket wouldn't have stuck either. Just sayin.

With all the hoopla, don't you think if they could have gotten him for 130 they would have?

Trust me. dude was NOT doing 130. If you think so, your sense of speed is WAY off
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 02:24:36 PM by Fitz »
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 02:23:05 PM »

Means your CMYK printer is using yellow instead of magenta.   [popcorn]
"It's good, though..."

• friends
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 02:26:22 PM »
Yes radar. I've seen the citation. They got him on radar doing 80.

But we'll just agree to disagree.

BTW: if they didn't have radar (or pacing,, and we know it wasn't that), the ticket wouldn't have stuck either. Just sayin.

With all the hoopla, don't you think if they could have gotten him for 130 they would have?

Trust me. dude was NOT doing 130. If you think so, your sense of speed is WAY off

http://woofie2.pixiq.com/files/blog/carlosmiller/uploads/2010/04/AnthonyGraber_939x689.jpg

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 02:27:53 PM »
"visually estimated" above 100

Cited for 80

Radar said 80.

You still haven't addressed ANY of the rest of my post.

But fine. You win. Motorcyclist was wrong and deserved an armed encounter. Hell, the cop probably should have shot him, to keep dangerous criminals like him off the streets!

By the way, that paperwork's *expletive deleted*ed too. He didn't rev. I hear no revving on the with-audio vid. Trumped up bull*expletive deleted* from a jackass cop

The full vid showed NOTHING worthy of getting a gun drawn on him. NOTHING
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

• friends
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012, 02:30:37 PM »
can you show that citation?  i just looked and couldn't and there is no mention of radar there.  there is mention of the second trooper and he coulda shot radar . i think junior got off light.  got stupid and it bit him in the butt

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2012, 02:32:24 PM »
can you show that citation?  i just looked and couldn't and there is no mention of radar there.  there is mention of the second trooper and he coulda shot radar . i think junior got off light.  got stupid and it bit him in the butt

Again, answer my question: Was there ANYTHING on that stop worthy of getting a gun pulled?

Want me to ask the rider to scan a copy of the citation to post here?

Also, did you notice how the cop attempted to hide the gun when his pal showed up with the dashcam?

Yeah. He knew he was wrong

Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2012, 04:47:03 PM »
what happened? is there evidence that causes you to believe they didn't act reasonably?

Read my response/comment in the OP.

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton