Author Topic: NYT article on pre-emptive strike against Iran  (Read 12346 times)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: NYT article on pre-emptive strike against Iran
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2012, 09:52:27 PM »
Not really - by some counts, illegal aliens - mostly Mexican - kill over a dozen people a day in the USA. And we're not dropping bombs south of the Rio Grande yet.

Good point....Mexico First......
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2012, 10:01:48 PM »
If they close the Straight...that's a whole new ballgame.  I don't think they are that stupid.

Sadly, Iranian leadership has proved it can be profoundly stupid in the past.  They have... disadvantages.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2012, 06:55:49 AM »
It's an amazing propaganda feat to have the populations of the most powerful nations in the world convinced that a third world country like Iran is menacing them.

Yep.

It is also amazing how we are led to believe that if we call our bombs "humanitarian" and our military actions "Just Freedom" or some such, then the people of other countries won't mind us violating their sovereignty, ending the rule of law, wrecking their infrastructure and filling their morgues with collateral damage. Hell, they might even rally behind us! Basically, our world view has somehow become so twisted that we expect gratitude for thrusting a TEOTWAWKI situation on other people.  :laugh:
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

HankB

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2012, 08:36:38 AM »
. . . The Iranian people can't help it if the Iranian equivalent of Pat Roberts and Richard Daley are running their country . . .
I'm no fan of Pat Robertson, but I think Louis Farrakhan would be a more apt comparison in this context.

As a former Chicagoan, I'd say the Richard Daley comparison stands . . . for either the father or son.

Oh, and if the Iranians did somehow manage to have free elections . . . based on what's happening in the Arab world, I'm not at all convinced the Persians would choose more wisely.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2012, 08:51:54 AM »
I think the recent arab revolts prove that in most cases, they'll replace one group of dipsticks with another group of dipsticks

In most of the Arab revolts the next leadership hasn't yet been chosen. We've got a liberal ruler in one country, and moderate Islamists in another.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2012, 09:32:29 AM »
Yep.

It is also amazing how we are led to believe that if we call our bombs "humanitarian" and our military actions "Just Freedom" or some such, then the people of other countries won't mind us violating their sovereignty, ending the rule of law, wrecking their infrastructure and filling their morgues with collateral damage. Hell, they might even rally behind us! Basically, our world view has somehow become so twisted that we expect gratitude for thrusting a TEOTWAWKI situation on other people.  :laugh:

Ok, I won't ask why you believe that America goes about "ending the rule of law," but who called our bombs humanitarian? Molotov wasn't one of our guys, so...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2012, 10:19:57 AM »
In the later half of my lifetime the US has had at least two opportunities to support regime change in Iran.  First was with Bush 43 and the second is with Obama the Only.  In both cases elements in Iran rose up and in both cases the US failed to back up its rhetoric.  Why would any sane homo sapien believe believe anything coming out of the US.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2012, 11:31:52 AM »
Well, we were sold on Libya as a supposed humanitarian mission. If you use bombs to pursue said mission then I assume those bombs must be humanitarian?

As for ending the rule of law... that is just an observation of the state of anarchy that usually ensues post-US intervention. I don't think it is an actual mission objective, it is just a side effect of a stupid mission.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2012, 11:47:56 AM »
In most of the Arab revolts the next leadership hasn't yet been chosen. We've got a liberal ruler in one country, and moderate Islamists in another.

Is the latter a reference to Egypt, where the Muslim B-hood in alliance with Salafists control, what, 70-80% of the legislature?

If so, "moderate" is used in the Kissengerian sense?
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2012, 11:48:48 AM »
Is the latter a reference to Egypt, where the Muslim B-hood in alliance with Salafists control, what, 70-80% of the legislature?

If so, "moderate" is used in the Kissengerian sense?

In the "not actually raving HARVEST THE SKULLS OF THE JEWS type Jihadis" sense. That sense.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2012, 11:52:54 AM »
Moderate by comparison to raving lunatics isn't always moderate.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2012, 11:56:40 AM »
Well, we were sold on Libya as a supposed humanitarian mission. If you use bombs to pursue said mission then I assume those bombs must be humanitarian?

So is it you making assumptions, or is someone urging us to call our bombs humanitarian? Because you said the latter, and now you're saying the former. ???

As for ending the rule of law... that is just an observation of the state of anarchy that usually ensues post-US intervention. I don't think it is an actual mission objective, it is just a side effect of a stupid mission.

I guess that depends on whether the previous government was more or less acceptable than the instability of a regime change. You remember what Thomas Jefferson said, right?

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2012, 12:01:32 PM »

It is if you are always working towards synthesis of divergent opinions.

Personally I'm pleased there are more elections taking place regardless of the outcomes. If they vote for lunatics who choose to be our enemy it makes taking up arms against them morally defensible.

Saddam's military was often seen as a victim being made to go up against us in the first two conflicts.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2012, 12:04:34 PM »

It's a different country. I think it's a bit of a stretch to judge their effort at democracy a failure if their first parliament's lower chamber is not instantly staffed by Western politicians.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2012, 02:10:45 PM »
So is it you making assumptions, or is someone urging us to call our bombs humanitarian? Because you said the latter, and now you're saying the former. Huh?

We were without doubt urged to call the bomb[ings]/airstrikes humanitarian by Obama and most media outlets, it is not hard to see how (laughably) the bombs themselves would be called humanitarian in that same line of thought. I have no doubt that it was their intent for the public to view bombs as humanitarian, which is as much a paradox as the expectation of thankfulness from people who have just been bombed. In short, no, I was not quoting someone directly, it was an extrapolation of mine.

I guess that depends on whether the previous government was more or less acceptable than the instability of a regime change. You remember what Thomas Jefferson said, right?

True, but whether or not one is more or less acceptable than the other depends entirely on who you are asking... so when we go ahead and make that change for other people regardless of the reality on the ground, we shouldn't automatically expect them to coincide or be eager to pay the price.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 02:21:46 PM by Blakenzy »

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2012, 02:26:42 PM »
It was a humanitarian exercise, we call it "Bombing them into the 21st Century".

Think of all the jobs we created for them by breaking all their stuff!
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2012, 02:43:39 PM »
It's a different country. I think it's a bit of a stretch to judge their effort at democracy a failure if their first parliament's lower chamber is not instantly staffed by Western politicians.

I'd say their "effort at democracy" is a smashing success, given that democratic gov't reflects the will of the majority.  It is just that the majority are a bunch of bat-shinola nutty rabble. 

Used to be, in places like Mubarak's Egypt, that the "Arab Street" was all drama of no import.  Well, now that violent and ignorant mass of the Arab Street will get a say in governance.  I think this is not an improvement for Egypt's neighbors or hte rest of the world.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2012, 02:44:53 PM »

True, but whether or not one is more or less acceptable than the other depends entirely on who you are asking... so when we go ahead and make that change for other people regardless of the reality on the ground, we shouldn't automatically expect them to coincide or be eager to pay the price.

Unless, of course, we're right.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2012, 02:46:00 PM »
I'd say their "effort at democracy" is a smashing success, given that democratic gov't reflects the will of the majority.  It is just that the majority are a bunch of bat-shinola nutty rabble. 

Used to be, in places like Mubarak's Egypt, that the "Arab Street" was all drama of no import.  Well, now that violent and ignorant mass of the Arab Street will get a say in governance.  I think this is not an improvement for Egypt's neighbors or hte rest of the world.

I am going to watch and see the alarmists proved wrong, again, as Egypt will proceed not to declare war on Israel.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2012, 02:48:49 PM »
I am going to watch and see the alarmists proved wrong, again, as Egypt will proceed not to declare war on Israel.

Yes, because a declaration of war is necessary to cause trouble in that neighborhood.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2012, 02:59:27 PM »
Freedom, even limited freedom does look somewhat more chaotic than despotism.

Elections put the reality right out there in our faces. This is who we are dealing with.

Are not all people born with inalienable rights? They have every right to form a government that reflects their society and culture just as we do.

I'll take the prospect of chaos over propping up tyrants and despots.

Once again, I'm sick and tired of giving my assent to *expletive deleted* I just flat out disagree with.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2012, 03:12:21 PM »

I'll take the prospect of chaos over propping up tyrants and despots.

This, this, and a thousand times this.

There is nothing in the Middle-East worth backing a scumbag like Mubarak for.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2012, 05:50:17 PM »
The problem is that anarchy really has a very short historical shelf-life.  It is always replaced by despotism of some form in relatively short order.

We've had our opportunities to intervene in Iran's evolution, and "we" chose not to.  Accidental?  Or deliberate?  Someone needs to ask the brain trust at Foggy Bottom (and the people who make them hop to).
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2012, 04:48:47 AM »
The problem is that anarchy really has a very short historical shelf-life.  It is always replaced by despotism of some form in relatively short order.

We've not really known anything about anarchy historically, Iceland being the exception.

Let's not confuse anarchy with "riots in the streets".

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2012, 08:31:05 AM »

And its not our problem until it becomes our problem.  This has been the fallacy of US policy in the ME especially, where grudges are held for centuries.  We stick our fingers in the cookie jar and wonder why our hand gets slapped.   :facepalm:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”