Author Topic: Really huge toggle switch - does it exist?  (Read 2056 times)

White Horseradish

• friend
Really huge toggle switch - does it exist?
« on: January 30, 2012, 07:33:07 PM »
Is there something besides a giant knife switch a la Frankenstein's lab that can accomplish switching between two house breaker panels? And is such a thing allowed?

What I'm trying to do is to resolve a conflict. There is a duplex with a basement. Basement contains washer and dryer. All of basement electricity runs off of the downstairs panel. The people whose panel feeds the basement keep complaining about the electricity usage by the upstairs people doing laundry. There isn't a concrete way to figure the usage. Separating the basement onto it's own meter would run $1200 or so because of the need to pull a permit and use a licensed electrician. Using a plug-in meter like Kill-a-Watt isn't an option because they don't make them for 240V and the dryer is electric. There isn't really room for an extra washer/dryer. Switching between panels seems like a cheaper/easier way to go, if it can be done. Or maybe a completely different and better way to do things?
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Really huge toggle switch - does it exist?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 07:37:22 PM »
Put one of these between the main panel and the subpanel:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENERAL-ELECTRIC-WATTHOUR-METER-/180794312874
"It's good, though..."

dogmush

• friend

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 08:54:53 PM »
 Could you run another outlet off the upstairs panel? Or a transfer switch, each line fed from one of the panels with the dryer coming off the common.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 10:16:49 PM »
Do both tenants use the washer dryer?
If so could you just put both meters in you name, combine the usage and split it between them? By that I mean incorporate the utility into the lease price?
I both tenants use the washer dryer I don't think putting in a transfer switch will work. They will say that the other person is not flipping the switch.
What about putting in a second set of washer dryer hookups so each one pays there own usage. Let them supply there own washer dryer of course.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 12:45:14 AM »
Quote from: White Horseradish link=topic=33294.msg66Put i4944#msg664944 date=1327969987
Or maybe a completely different and better way to do things?

Put in a coin operated washer/dryer and 3/4 of the money collected goes to the tenant who power is hooked up there. The remaining money goes to the landlord.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 08:16:56 AM »
Electric into your name.  Look at the last 12 months, average it, and then raise the rent on both tennants to cover that average.
Done.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Daniel964

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 09:10:39 AM »
Get rid of the washer and dryer. Tell them both they have to start useing a laundrymat.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 09:21:15 AM »
Put in a coin operated washer/dryer and 3/4 of the money collected goes to the tenant who power is hooked up there. The remaining money goes to the landlord.

Get rid of the washer and dryer. Tell them both they have to start useing a laundrymat.

I like these.  You could also put in a gas dryer (you pay the gas bill, right?)  The downstairs tenants have a legitimate beef about the dryer, but the washing machine really doesn't use much electricity -- tell them to suck it up re the washer.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 09:24:36 AM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 09:25:43 AM »
in NY i would not recommend having the utilities in your name.  here (even though the utility companies will turn your utilities off for non-payment) the landlord must continue to pay for the utilities even if the tenant has not paid rent for months. i'm not sure of your laws.  the eisiest solution is to average the amount of electric per use (say 5000wx1hour=5.0kwh) which is likely less than a dollar, multiply that times the number of times used and give the downstairs tenant a rebate.  or fasten a can in the laundry and have the upstairs tenant put $1-2 in when they do the wash to cover electric and hot water usage.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 10:00:04 AM »
Heater runs about 5400 watt. Motor pulls about 500.

How much of the cycle the heater runs would depend on the amount of clothes, type of clothes, how well the washer spins out and how clean the vent and lint screen are.

You could get an amp clamp and check to see if your pulling more then you should be. One leg should be around 20 amps or a little lower and the one with the motor on it should be a few amps higher.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 10:48:26 PM »
Or maybe a completely different and better way to do things?

Coin operated washer and dryer ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 10:49:14 PM »
Coin operated washer and dryer ...

Get one that uses tokens for extra convenience.