Author Topic: Guided Bullet Tested  (Read 4118 times)

Waitone

• friend
Guided Bullet Tested
« on: January 30, 2012, 08:36:59 PM »
Interesting technical article.  Seems Sandia is working on a guided bullet for the military.  No so much a bullet as it is a miniature rocket.  Anyway, the picture is impressive.
http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/01/self-guided-bulle/
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Re: Guided Bullet Tested
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 10:18:21 PM »
Kind of like the failed Gyrojet?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrojet
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 06:09:14 AM »
Not really a rocket - it sounds like it's functionally a miniaturized M712 Copperhead projectile, without the explosive payload. At 4" in length, one wonders what kind of "rifle" it's going to be fired from.

Article isn't very accurate about the capabilities of ace marksmen either - at a half mile (880 yards) I wouldn't expect expect a good shooter to miss his target by something in the neighborhood of thirty feet.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 09:37:12 AM »
a 30 foot miss at a 1/2 mile would be pretty extreme conditions, or very poor trigger control.  i wonder where that stat came from?  i have never shot more than 300 yards, but even in gusty conditions it is hard to miss by more than a foot.  i don't care for the "technology overcomes lack of discipline" mentality.  i wonder what the cost per shot will be?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 10:27:17 AM »
Not really a rocket - it sounds like it's functionally a miniaturized M712 Copperhead projectile, without the explosive payload. At 4" in length, one wonders what kind of "rifle" it's going to be fired from.

Article isn't very accurate about the capabilities of ace marksmen either - at a half mile (880 yards) I wouldn't expect expect a good shooter to miss his target by something in the neighborhood of thirty feet.

I remember reading that this caught the attention of military brass after those SEALs popped those pirates in their heads from the deck of one bobbing ship to another.

So, I think that's what the gun-illiterate authors are referring to:  ship to ship marksmanship.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 10:56:48 AM »
They've had guided artillery projecticles for quite a while.  I never worked on them personally, but they had a group dedicated to such weapons when I worked at Raytheon Missiles in Tucson 10 years ago.
Formerly sumpnz

CypherNinja

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 02:09:06 PM »
At 4" in length, one wonders what kind of "rifle" it's going to be fired from.

Guessing from what's briefly visible of the bullet 4 seconds into that video, a .50 cal could probably handle it. You would have to accommodate either a longer OAL, meaning semi-auto's are out unless custom, or a a large(ish) amount of projectile protrusion into the case. Probably not too bad overall, though. Absolute worst case scenario would probably be a reworked something or other akin to Barrett's 25mm prototype.

Remember, the bullet's are probably going to get smaller as well. ;)
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 03:24:58 PM »
Wake me up when we can just roll over in bed and tell the gun to "Sic Hippie!" and then resume relaxing.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 07:06:00 PM »
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 09:06:38 PM »
As much as I love that film, this one has you beat by a few years:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCZY9Z6WvSY
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

zahc

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 10:20:57 PM »
The article says it uses an 8 bit microcontroller. I'm trying to calculate if such a processing plant could be fast enough.

I know you can run an AVR at 20MHz. That's 1/20th of a microsecond per cycle. Most instructions take only one or two cycles. Call it 10us to run a tight guidance loop. 3000fps / 10us = 3cm. So yeah, a common microcontroller is fast enough. Wow, I forget how fast common electronics are.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 07:57:57 AM »
As much as I love that film, this one has you beat by a few years:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCZY9Z6WvSY

Ha! Gene Simmons.  :lol:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 12:37:17 PM »

I imagine something like a NTW-20 if it's going to be larger than .50 caliber. Any bolt action really with a long enough magazine (or just a single shot) and a barrel chambered with a long enough throat will accommodate cartridges with overly long projectiles.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 12:39:07 PM »
They've had guided artillery projecticles for quite a while.  I never worked on them personally, but they had a group dedicated to such weapons when I worked at Raytheon Missiles in Tucson 10 years ago.

Like the projectiles for the Palladin at $100,000 a pop?
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 12:45:40 PM »
Scratch my previous statement about barrel design. It seems these are made for smoothbore, and are essentially an FSDS with moving fins unlike the copper-head and excalibur projectiles.

I could see first use of these being applied to IFV's and MBT's in order to ensure first-shot hits. Take the 25mm off the M3 Bradley, replace it with a smoothbore version with a laser designator, and now every single shot hits the target no matter if the target suddenly jinks throwing off your lead, or the wind sudden gusts hard, etc. This wound also significantly extend the accurate range of the Rheinmetall 120mm.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 04:51:05 PM »
Interesting.  Fiction meets fact.

Vernor Vinge in his novel The Peace War, has as a minor plot device a self guided bullet, cheap enough to use in an AK.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 10:03:54 PM »
I read The Peace War recently, and I don't remember guided bullets.

Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 10:40:24 PM »
Like the projectiles for the Palladin at $100,000 a pop?

Note sure if they were for the Palladin specifically but that price range sounds about right.
Formerly sumpnz

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 08:44:02 AM »
I read The Peace War recently, and I don't remember guided bullets.

My recollection is, minor plot point, kids in Cali woods encounter a party of Peace Authority somebody or other.  Gunfire is exchanged.  Kid shoots wildly, but all shots hit.  Peacers later analyze the encounter, note that a disposable bullet has as much computing power as an expensive something or other they'd fit in a suitcase, and begin to realize they're outclassed technologically.

My recollection is from the Analog serial.  Perhaps the book version is different.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 09:13:09 AM »
Oh yeah. I remember that part now.
--Tallpine