Author Topic: Homeland/Interior Snake Subjugation  (Read 21625 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Homeland/Interior Snake Subjugation
« on: January 31, 2012, 12:19:47 PM »
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/289718/first-kill-all-burmese-pythons-jonah-goldberg

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/environment/story/2012-01-30/pythons-florida-everglades/52893342/1

http://mediagallery.usatoday.com/Pythons+strangling+the+Everglades/G3288,A11365

Invasive Burmese pythons are eating the Everglades free of other wild animals:

Some lefty dipshinola will likely propose "constrictor condom" program, but the author proposes a bounty system.

Do read the comments to the post.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• friend
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Re: Homeland/Interior Snake Subjugation
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 12:55:29 PM »
Acouple o years ago, they found a 12 foot python under a deck in Gaitherburg Maryland

They think it was holing up for the winter under a house in a crawlspace, and spending the summers eating pets.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 12:57:39 PM »
how many snaken nuggets can you mechanically separate from a 20 foot python?
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 12:59:10 PM »
What caliber for a twelve foot python?

Where do you aim? The head?

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 01:01:59 PM »
Good question because some people value the head for certain items.

But also think of the amount of food in a 150# snake.  Not a lot of extra crap.  Mainly all muscle to begin with.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 01:53:23 PM »
Transplant them to DC  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 02:10:46 PM »
Transplant them to DC  =D

Thank you but we have plenty of snakes in this area already.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 02:20:47 PM »
How effective would flir and nightvision optics be in hunting them down at night?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 02:23:41 PM »
How effective would flir and nightvision optics be in hunting them down at night?

Cold-blooded animal and infrared? I'm betting very poor. Other forms of night vision would obvioulsy be more useful.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 02:29:51 PM »
That's what I was wondering.

Short of baiting them with live tethered critters I'm not sure what the options are for tracking them.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 02:30:16 PM »
Cold-blooded animal and infrared? I'm betting very poor. Other forms of night vision would obvioulsy be more useful.

I2 sensitive to the near-IR, along with big, honking near-IR spot & flood lights FTW.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 02:33:21 PM »
I lol'd at this:
I don’t know what the right number is but for the sake of argument if we had a hunting season in which you could bring in unlimited number of Burmese pythons for $50 per pound, my hunch is Burmese pythons would be erecting memorials to the great snake genocide of 2012.

As for using nightvision/FLIR - would snakes be colder than the surrounding area?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 02:59:16 PM »
Are we going to need more snake recipes?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 03:05:43 PM »
gonna need a bigger boat

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 03:18:04 PM »
need a yuppie snake cookbook
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2012, 03:51:19 PM »
need a yuppie snake cookbook

With "artisan" recipes for snakeys.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 04:01:02 PM »

I'm sure the snake would be lower contrast on FLIR than a mammal, but I'd think they'd still show up. Being "cold blooded" does not automatically make a reptile "cold", just that they don't expend metabolic energy on maintaining a particular body temperature. They still curl up, find shade, sun themselves, open their mouths and get in/out of the water to manage their temperature.

I promise not to duck.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 04:12:30 PM »
I'm sure the snake would be lower contrast on FLIR than a mammal, but I'd think they'd still show up. Being "cold blooded" does not automatically make a reptile "cold", just that they don't expend metabolic energy on maintaining a particular body temperature. They still curl up, find shade, sun themselves, open their mouths and get in/out of the water to manage their temperature.

the everglades would be a "hot" environment, though. How would you know that its a curled up python and not just a pile of rotting swamp junk?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2012, 04:14:53 PM »
That's what I was wondering.

Short of baiting them with live tethered critters I'm not sure what the options are for tracking them.

I would suggest politicians but I'm sure there are things that even snakes won't eat  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2012, 05:13:21 PM »
I have Casull and will travel.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2012, 05:16:37 PM »
I have Casull and will travel.

APS snake hunting expedition?

I'm down with that.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2012, 05:22:23 PM »
What's the minimum caliber for snakes that big? ???
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2012, 05:25:41 PM »

12 gauge buckshot to the head ?  =|

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2012, 05:26:49 PM »

.45 to the base of the head. Or an axe.

America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe