Author Topic: Flare guns  (Read 47850 times)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Flare guns
« Reply #100 on: February 24, 2012, 09:46:39 AM »
Same here - but in my case, I just know I'd somehow manage to get myself into hot water by doing something easy, obvious, and straightforward, but without the official sanctioning paperwork . . .

(And besides, none of the local ranges would take kindly to my touching off the type of flare gun innovations under discussion here . . .  :'( )

That's why I'm going through the trouble to DD it.

I have to shoot buckshot or solids out of it for my range to let me use it. I've got leads on friends with some land who have 4th of July parties where I could probably try some of the pyro, smoke, and the actual Czech flares, but not at my club... And a member on another board who belongs to a very small club where "do what you want so long as you don't make a mess" is possible too.

But this won't be a regular thing.

It'll cost me more than the launcher in the shells, but I'm still holding fast to my dream of making a bunch of loads full of #8 birdshot and trying at least one round of trap at my club with them. 
I promise not to duck.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #101 on: February 24, 2012, 11:16:32 AM »
. . . I'm still holding fast to my dream of making a bunch of loads full of #8 birdshot and trying at least one round of trap at my club with them.
  One round of trap - this times 25:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uJouw9uh84
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2012, 12:51:23 PM »
  One round of trap - this times 25:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uJouw9uh84

Eh... back in the day, real men used 2 gauge. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&NR=1&v=e4L6Zpg9klw  =D

Although seriously, I might be able to make it bearable by using ultra slow smokeless powders, if I can find some reclaimed milsurp powder such as what's used in 20 and 30 automatic cannon shells.

I fully understand that F=MA... no matter what you do. However, certain tricks can spread that "A" out over time a bit.  =)
I promise not to duck.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #103 on: February 24, 2012, 02:44:37 PM »
i want to hunt chuckar with one of these:
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #104 on: February 24, 2012, 02:59:30 PM »
Which round? The .22 Beehive thing, or what?
I promise not to duck.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #105 on: February 24, 2012, 03:01:20 PM »
Wait until the dog is on point, then lay a string of grenades in that general direction?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #106 on: February 24, 2012, 03:26:12 PM »
Too much work. A metal trash can lid full of seeds, hooked up to some bare wires run off the 220V stove/dryer circuit in the basement would do.
I promise not to duck.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #107 on: February 24, 2012, 04:13:05 PM »
well, with the right heat you would not have to pluck the chuckar
but a DD registered havoc shooting #6 shot would be fun

not much barrel length for swinging though
It might be better for rock salting demons
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #108 on: February 25, 2012, 05:59:26 PM »
Woohoo! It is officially on its way. Scheduled delivery is the first. I hate having to wait so long,
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #109 on: February 26, 2012, 01:46:29 AM »
Punt gun for the win.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #110 on: February 26, 2012, 03:43:30 PM »
So any round that has over 1/4 oz of explosives in it would have to be registered as a DD? And the powder use to propel the round counts towards that?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

birdman

• friend
« Reply #111 on: February 26, 2012, 05:09:45 PM »
So any round that has over 1/4 oz of explosives in it would have to be registered as a DD? And the powder use to propel the round counts towards that?

The propellant charge is not counted, it is a -projectile- containing more than a quarter oz.  otherwise anything bigger than a 338LM/RUM would be a DD

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #112 on: February 26, 2012, 06:05:46 PM »
Too much work. A metal trash can lid full of seeds, hooked up to some bare wires run off the 220V stove/dryer circuit in the basement would do.

Overkill. I manage to take a dozen or so birds a year with my hotwire fence. I once got 4 hummingbirds in one morning. I'd go out and find them hanging upside down from the wire. I think the combination of the bright yellow insulators and the orange t-posts did it. birds would land on the hot wire and maybe thing the insulator was a flower and contact the grounded t-post.
I got a young rabbit with it last year as well, I think it put it's nose to the wire.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #113 on: February 27, 2012, 09:46:53 PM »
Ha! Mine and Mrs. Smith's shipped too! Will be here Friday.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #114 on: February 28, 2012, 05:33:35 AM »
And I have to wait two weeks to play with it? Dammit.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2012, 08:05:41 PM »
Mine showed up today.  It's purdy.

The hinge pin confounded me for a sec, it is knurled like it is threaded on one end.  I was spinning it and it wasn't coming out.  Tried to pull on it with what I considered to be reasonable force..  didn't come out.  Spun it some more and scratched my head.  Finally I really pulled on it hard and it finally popped loose so I could mate up the forend with the reciever.  Had to use a persuader to get the pin back in.  It hinges smooth as can be so I guess it is supposed to be that way (I'm ok with that, that would be a bad pin to have walk out).

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #116 on: March 01, 2012, 09:00:26 PM »
She's in. And she is beautiful. Tears of happiness, :'( Can't wait to try it out. One thing I wasn't expecting was when I opened the test target paper they used, in the center is a a giant rabbit and bird. :lol: [ar15]

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2012, 09:06:04 PM »
She's in. And she is beautiful. Tears of happiness, :'( Can't wait to try it out. One thing I wasn't expecting was when I opened the test target paper they used, in the center is a a giant rabbit and bird. :lol: [ar15]

Lol yeah, I had to check to see if those were added by hand there are so out of place!

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #118 on: March 01, 2012, 09:09:34 PM »
Here is a crappy pic.  This thing is long over all!  It is only a couple of inches shorter than a .gov profile AR-15

« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 09:19:37 PM by 41magsnub »

birdman

• friend
« Reply #119 on: March 02, 2012, 08:52:56 AM »
Mine arrived as well...talk about a robust design...
It appears on first inspection the design (barrel thickness, breech, latching, etc) is designed for some pretty substantial stresses, which bodes well for future loading.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #120 on: March 02, 2012, 09:08:38 AM »
Mine arrived as well...talk about a robust design...
It appears on first inspection the design (barrel thickness, breech, latching, etc) is designed for some pretty substantial stresses, which bodes well for future loading.

Noticed this as well.  I pondered the possibility of semi low velocity GyroJet ish munitions(1).

1. Dear ATF, AFTER I set up a trust and DD the launcher.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #121 on: March 02, 2012, 09:27:19 AM »
Noticed this as well.  I pondered the possibility of semi low velocity GyroJet ish munitions(1).

1. Dear ATF, AFTER I set up a trust and DD the launcher.

Well, I don't see a problem with rocket propelled signal/pyrotechnic loads right now if you care to experiment. And in terms of rockets from a technical standpoint, looking at the original Czech rockets the RV85 was meant to fire, that's exactly what it's for anyway.

I promise not to duck.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #122 on: March 02, 2012, 09:37:26 AM »
Make a breech plug and turn it into a muzzle loader!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #123 on: March 02, 2012, 10:00:47 AM »
Has anyone found chalk rounds for sale? 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #124 on: March 02, 2012, 10:02:55 AM »
And I have to wait two weeks to play with it? Dammit.

Two words, whale wars
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.