Author Topic: Off road lights on pickup?  (Read 3873 times)

Hutch

• friend
Off road lights on pickup?
« on: February 11, 2012, 07:58:40 PM »
I want to mount some additional lights on my F250.  I have in mind a bar above the cab, basically from gutter to gutter, with ~ 5 lights, trained as follows.  2 outboard lights ~ 30 degrees off axis, l/r inboard pair straight ahead, like super high-beams, and center light dead aft, for backing at night, illuminating the bed, etc.  my google-fu only finds front-bumper mounts, some sort of "roll bar"looking rig that would interfere with the tool box, or a flashy-light bar of a sort found on a wrecker or service vehicle.  Can anyone tell me:  what to look for, and: suggest vendors or improvements on my plan?
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Off road lights on pickup?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 08:03:51 PM »
KC is an old standby.  Rugged with metal housings.  PIAA makes good lights, too.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 08:13:37 PM »

erictank

• friends
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 08:27:06 PM »
Don't have 'em myself, but on pickups so equipped that I've seen, the lights/light covers almost always say KC.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 08:41:19 PM »
Ain't the lights that's the puzzle.  It's the bar to mount 'em on, and the mounting of that bar on ol' Truggly.  The lights themselves are the easy part.  Next is switching and power.  The hardestest part is that bar and mount.  Don't want 'em on the bumper or a faux roll-bar.  Any ideas?
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 08:47:21 PM »
Alternate option, I did HIR headlights in my rig instead of fancy offroad lights.  Cheaper, and I've seen light bars with less output than my high beams.  They draw enough juice I had to replace the wiring harnesses and run a separate fusible link for them.  I also cheated, the bulbs are keyed so you can't put them in a rig that doesn't have the right reflector housing.  A little work with some diagonal cutters made them pop right in.  The low beams are the correct bulbs for the rig.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/122662-john-deere-hir-bulbs.html

Between those and the LED backup lights I'm not feeling the need for a light bar.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 09:10:03 PM by 41magsnub »

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 08:52:21 PM »
If you wanted to go really hardcore...  http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/products_lights_led.htm

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 09:00:50 PM »

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 09:03:13 PM »
can you mock up temp mounts?  try em in the dark?  i've suffered from glare issues on some vehicle mounts can be surprising from what.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 09:05:05 PM »
Back in my poor days I did something similar on my full size Bronco.  I picked up a Yakima canoe rack at a yard sale, dumped the cradle, mounted the lights to the bar and ran the wiring internally.  Just have to ground the bar to the truck.  Craigslist/garagesale should find you one in the $25 range, or a new one is about $60.

http://www.prolineracks.com/item/Roof-Rack-Rain-Gutter-Mount-179

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 10:42:32 PM »
I've got something similar for my baja bug: Light bar and 116mm lights
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 06:52:25 AM »
Dingdingdingding! Winnah!  Thanks guys.  All great follow ups.  I will report back when the project is under way.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 08:24:06 AM »
Here is a rail kit:

http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Carr/Light_bars/carr_light_bars.htm

You can order right from rigid as well.  I have their Dually's on my raptor (two pair amber food "fog", white spot "driving"...going to do the 40" behind the grill for offroading...I can't afford the height increase of a light bar

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 09:32:36 AM »
Get enough expensive stuff on your off road vehicle and you will never want to take it off road for fear of damaging something  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

birdman

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 09:52:10 AM »
Get enough expensive stuff on your off road vehicle and you will never want to take it off road for fear of damaging something  :P

That's why the expensive lights remain behind guards :)
I wish I had the overhead clearance for a lightbar, but the parking garage at work is height compromised, and the raptor only has about 3" the way it stands.

Regarding the OP, I heartily recommend the rigid lights, they were a breeze to install, last forever, and are built (so far) really rugged.  Also, they are lower profile than conventional lights, use less power than HID's, and because of the many emitters, can be purchased for the pattern you want--for instance the 40+" bars have spots in the middle, floods on the outer zones--giving you an optimum foot print.

If I had the overall clearance, i would do a 40" front, a 20" rear, and a 10" to each side, plus a pair of white flood dually's for bed illumination.  I'd keep my front double-pair of Dually's as I don't get any hassle with those being on, while most LEO's will pull you over if you are using big aux lights, especially if roof mounted.  The "fog light" location for my current ones is stock appearing enough to not get noticed (and usually I keep to the VA law of only having 4 total lights on at a time).

Which brings up a good point...check your local laws re: aux lights...some states will cut the wires of unapproved lights!  And another point...regarding LEDs, does the number of lights equal the number of emitters? (if so Audi owners are doomed) Or the number of contiguous blocks? (so the 14,000+ lumen bar counts as one, and everyone but me is doomed?) or...is it police discretion like everything else? (and I'm doomed)