Author Topic: Outrage After School Tells Mom Her Child’s Lunch Is Unhealthy and Unacceptable  (Read 12894 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
http://foxnewsinsider.com/2012/02/14/outrage-after-school-tells-mom-her-child%E2%80%99s-lunch-is-unacceptable/

a lunch inspector at the school told the girl she couldn’t eat her turkey sandwich, banana, potato chips and apple juice. Instead providing the girl with a USDA-approved lunch with the following guidelines: one serving of meat, one serving of grains, and two servings of fruit or vegetables.

This is bullshit.  To top it off the school sent a bill for $1.25 for the lunch they provided.  I would have done a lot more than wrote an anonymous letter to the paper.  So glad my son is now in a private school and my daughter has graduated high school.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
They have a lunch inspector?  ???

Also, I was expecting like a lunch full of nothing but candy or something. A sandwich with a banana and chips? Really?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
This is an odd story. My first wife is a dietitian and has been the head of a local school district's food services program for about 20 years now.  She is aware of no Federal regulations requiring any sort of monitoring what kids bring in their lunch bags and she says that her staff do not monitor lunches brought in by kids.  She thinks this issue is unique to this school or the staff member involved.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zxcvbob

• friend
According the Atlanta Journal Constitution (who quoted it from the Carolina Journal but that link doesn't work) the school's replacement lunch was fried chicken nuggets.
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Boy, if only I had known schools were supposed to have lunch inspectors, I would have volunteered for it. I could have confiscated all kinds of unhealthy stuff.

We're so far beyond the looking glass I don't know what I look like anymore.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
According the Atlanta Journal Constitution (who quoted it from the Carolina Journal but that link doesn't work) the school's replacement lunch was fried chicken nuggets.

Yeah, I heard that, too. Yah, government!

HankB

• friend
A lunch inspector?    :facepalm:

Yet more confirmation that schools have gone off the rails. Besides, with the unacceptable lunch being a "turkey sandwich, banana, potato chips and apple juice" the only thing that was the least bit questionable was the chips. (It's not clear if the lunch was taken away or the 4-year old just stopped from eating it. If the former . . . a strongarm robbery occured.)

The parents of that child need to have a meeting with the "lunch inspector" and compel an apology to their little girl.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
The article said they sent the lunch home with the girl, she was just prevented from eating it.

When the girl returned home from school, her unopened lunch contained a note from the school saying that her lunch didn’t meet the guidelines and a $1.25 bill for the replacement lunch
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 04:52:55 PM by 41magsnub »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Also, I was expecting like a lunch full of nothing but candy or something. A sandwich with a banana and chips? Really?

That's what I was thinking too.

Also, this seems somehow apropos:

http://vimeo.com/23912176
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
FYI - do not read the comments in the article if you still have, and want to retain, any remaining shred of respect for the intelligence of the human race.

wmenorr67

• friend
Thing is her lunch had one serving of meat, two servings of grain and two fruits.  Glad the mother stood up but I think the stink could have been bigger.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

zahc

• friend
That's a gourmet lunch by the standard of my day. Which was PBJ, and maybe some chips.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Regolith

• friend
That's a gourmet lunch by the standard of my day. Which was PBJ, and maybe some chips.

I stopped eating lunch at school around 6th grade; the school was close enough that I could walk home and make my own during lunch hour, and thankfully we didn't have a closed campus (which is another BS move schools often pull...).  Before then I used to get a PBJ on white bread sandwich, a Capri Sun pouch or a small bottle of SunnyD for a drink, and some other sundry item as a snack.

Nowhere near as healthy as this girl's lunch. :facepalm:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Public schools delenda est.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

geronimotwo

• friend
i'm all for kids eating healthier, and it sounds like the better lunch was taken home.   we pack our kids lunches due to the crap they serve at the school.   of course as a kid i can remember being envious of the twinkies in other's lunches.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

longeyes

• friend

+1

They own us.  (Or they believe they do.)
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend

Sic semper tyrannis.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

longeyes

• friend
Good metaphor for the entire society.  For this admin we are all in the third grade.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MechAg94

• friend
I don't know if this is an old story or not, but I have heard this story mentioned on a couple radio shows now.  I wonder if it will get any TV play.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

wmenorr67

• friend
Saw a blurb on one of the 24 hour "news" channels while in the chow hall yesterday morning.  Not sure what was said, just saw a stock photo and headline.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

wmenorr67

• friend
Even still, what ever the "truth" the school is still in the wrong here.

MechAg94

• friend
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bettina-elias-siegel/did-a-state-inspector-rea_b_1282207.html?ref=food

Could Rush, Fox News, etc, possibly be wrong?
Doesn't really make it right and sort of white washes the idea of "inspecting" kids lunches to "protect the children". 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bettina-elias-siegel/did-a-state-inspector-rea_b_1282207.html?ref=food

Could Rush, Fox News, etc, possibly be wrong?

I'm not sure that clears anything up. After all, the Huffington Post is no more credible than Rush Limbaugh or Fox News, and they only claim to be throwing out some additional theories, based on not much.  =|

MicroBalrog

• friend
There are almost zero additional facts provided in that article.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner