Author Topic: That sulphur smell in well water  (Read 7150 times)

Ukraine Train

• friend
    • http://ukrainetrain21.tripod.com
That sulphur smell in well water
« on: March 31, 2005, 08:27:29 AM »
The farm house I just moved into has a well and the water stinks. Are there any methods of getting rid of it?

P95Carry

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 08:51:17 AM »
It would be wise to get an analysis to find out what is the pollutant.  Chances are a purification system is only way to go, if potable water is needed.
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

theCZ

• friend
    • http://www.hunewill.com
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 08:52:59 AM »
You'd probably be best off if you got a purification system, like one that attaches directly to your water line, and an additional purifcation at the tap.  Our house has lots and lots of minerals and without a filter system it would be downright nasty.  Still have to change the filter every two weeks though.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 09:11:47 AM »
I agree on the filter system.  They can be expensive, but they are a huge help.  We installed one at my grandparents house to make the water a little more pleasant.  They didn't have a sulphur problem, but there is a significant mineral content to their water.  It tastes funny, it etches the glassware, it discolors laundry, and it leaves a pretty good scale on teeth.  We did exactly as CZ recommends.  A large scuba tank looking filter on the incoming line, and another countertop filter (this was before the ones that hook directly onto the faucet) in the kitchen.

I think they're a pretty good idea even if you have city water.  We use a line filter at home, as well as a filter pitcher for cooking and drinking.  Our water has a noticeable smell (it's not really bad, but it's there), but the filters take it out.  The pitchers run about $10, and the filter cartridges will cost you maybe $20 a year.  At the very least, get one of those to filter your drinking and cooking water.  I think you can even get the horizontal tanks with the spigot on the front.  They hold ~2 gallons, and you can put them in the fridge if you prefer chilled drinking water.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 09:32:08 AM »
Normally the sulphur smell is from hydrogen sulphide, and frequently occurrs when a well goes through a layer of coal or gas bearing rock, or the water comes from an aquifier with coal or gas.

An activated carbon filter can often provide a lot of relief.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 10:49:37 AM »
Agree with the above. Also know that the sulfur can be coming from bacteria in the well and system. A bottle of laundry bleach can temporarily decrease it. Be advised, it will also dislodge a lot of black sediment from the pipes, so you may have to flush that out following treatment.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 10:56:46 AM »
Like mike said, an activated charcoal filter can help is the sulphur smell is in the aquifer. It  can also be caused by otherwise harmless bacteria in the well, and for that you can try shock chlorinating the well, search online for directions, it's pretty easy.

I would suggest though that you have a complete analysis of the water done. Other than it smelling nasty you want to make sure that it's safe to drink as well. Contact the county board of health about testing, if they don't do it they will be able to refer you to a lab.

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 12:34:54 PM »
It means you're from Michigan.

Regardless of the cause, its not dangerous.

Is it only from your hot water? It could be your water heater.

If its your well, there's a way to get rid of it which I can't recall but which involves bleach. Contact a well company and they should be able to tell you.

Or you can filter it.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 04:39:58 PM »
You could install a water softener.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2005, 04:57:47 PM »
Interesting.  We are about to buy a house with a well.  Water tastes a little nasty.  We'll have to look into this filtration thing.

Love, James
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2005, 05:02:10 PM »
A water softener won't take care of the smell.

As far as I'm concerned, when buying a home served with a well, you should always have a full-spectrum series of tests done for bacterial and other types of contaminants.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Otherguy Overby

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2005, 12:54:22 PM »
My experience with sulpher smell in well water is it happens after an extended period of non use.  Running the water from several faucets gets rid of it.

The bleach down the wellhead method works, too, but you should run each faucet until you smell bleach and then let everything sit for 24 hours.

I have excellent tasting well water at my country property and also run all the house water through a filter and softener.  When I leave there, I always leave with a full water tank in the coach...  Smiley
Guns
Motorcycles
Jeeps
Never enough!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2005, 06:34:13 PM »
The water filtraion systems are well worth it.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama