Author Topic: It's about time  (Read 4369 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
It's about time
« on: February 24, 2012, 11:11:29 PM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/24/cop-charged-raiding-refrigerator_n_1299002.html?ref=food&icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl7%7Csec3_lnk2%26pLid%3D138216

DEER PARK, Texas — A sting operation by a suburban Houston police department netted one of their own when surveillance cameras caught an officer repeatedly stealing colleagues' food and drinks from the refrigerator in the station's break room.
Deer Park police Officer Kevin Yang was charged with misdemeanor theft and suspended for 30 days without pay. Deer Park Police Chief Greg Griggs tells KTRK-TV of Houston that a class C misdemeanor conviction would not keep Yang from returning to duty.

Griggs says he authorized the video sting because the thefts have been going on for too long. Even though the items being stolen may be of trivial value, Griggs says theft is theft.

Yang tells KTRK that he was merely taking it upon himself to keep the shared refrigerator clean.

30 days suspension for swiping my Diet Coke.  Hardly just punishment!

Personally, I'd sentence him to eat everything left in there over 30 days.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Re: It's about time
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 08:23:50 AM »
When I had the misfortune of using a shared fridge at work, the boss took it upon himself to clean out the fridge once a week.  Unless your stuff was labeled and dated, or unless you happened to be standing there when he started, everything got tossed.  Everything.

Things rarely got stolen, but with only two or three people on shift at any given time, it was pretty easy to figure out who'd taken what.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 08:30:49 AM »
When I had the misfortune of using a shared fridge at work, the boss took it upon himself to clean out the fridge once a week.  Unless your stuff was labeled and dated, or unless you happened to be standing there when he started, everything got tossed.  Everything.

Things rarely got stolen, but with only two or three people on shift at any given time, it was pretty easy to figure out who'd taken what.

When I worked in salt lake it would get to the point you couldn't fit your own lunch in the fridge.  I started cleaning it out about every other week.  Pissed some people off, but at least I could squeeze my chow in there on second shift.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 11:18:10 PM »
Even if the crime doesn't prevent him from working as a cop, there should be some sort of employment policy or code of conduct that allows them to fire the guy.  Who would trust him at this point?  It would also get mentioned any time he was testifying in court. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 11:47:39 PM »
Repeat offender food thieves have got to be the dumbest of the dumb.
They are so easy to get even with it's ridiculous.
On my first boat I had left a can of beef jerky in my work area. The Quartermasters decided it was community property and cleaned me out. The next day I refilled the can and taped notes all over it - DO NOT EAT THIS- NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION
They said it wasn't as good as the day before. For some reason they got bent out of shape when I told them it was dog treat jerky that I had gotten for my dog hence the not for human consumption he Dept. head told them to suck it up, thieves get what they deserve.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 12:37:22 AM »
Repeat offender food thieves have got to be the dumbest of the dumb.
They are so easy to get even with it's ridiculous.
On my first boat I had left a can of beef jerky in my work area. The Quartermasters decided it was community property and cleaned me out. The next day I refilled the can and taped notes all over it - DO NOT EAT THIS- NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION
They said it wasn't as good as the day before. For some reason they got bent out of shape when I told them it was dog treat jerky that I had gotten for my dog hence the not for human consumption he Dept. head told them to suck it up, thieves get what they deserve.

If it's open and out in the open it's free game.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 01:24:20 AM »
Charge him with theft, enhance it to a felony for carrying a firearm. That's what would have happened to a non badge wearing citizen.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 02:45:20 AM »
Y'know, this is one area where I have been pleasantly surprised of late.  Just don't have this problem at my office.  Not at all.  I'm talking unlabeled cans of soda or Redbull left for sometimes days--nothing has gone missing.  Didn't at my last office either.  Must be lawyers are just especially honest and upstanding.  =D

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 09:56:24 AM »
Or they're just scared of getting sued...  :D
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 11:43:43 AM »
I'm the only one who uses the fridge in the back for human stuff. I'm the only one who cleans it too.

At least I finally broke katie of putting raw chicken in there and then forgetting about it.  [barf]

Usually, it's just my soda and bird food.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 02:08:04 PM »
Was warned that anything I put in the fridge at the alarm company would likely be consumed by my male co-workers, but my caramel creamer has to be kept cold so I taped a piece of paper to it:

Contains estrogen supplement

Never had a single problem with anyone using my creamer.

America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 12:11:41 PM »

I used to number the caps of my Mountain Dew and put up a note: "One or more of these bottles is poisoned. Feel free to take one." No one did.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 12:28:17 PM »
Had a guy like that at my old job. Everyone knew it was him, but management wouldn't do much about it, and he wouldn't stop.

Until I made a nice, big bowl of Exlax chocolate pudding.

He was out for 3 days.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 01:57:27 PM »
Had a guy like that in high school - if you set anything down on the lunch table for an instant - candy bar, stick of gum, whatever - he'd snatch it.

One day he grabbed my box of Chiclets and poured the whole thing in his mouth. Thing is, it was Feen-A-Mint laxative chewing gum.

He was only out for one day . . . but it cured him of stealing other people's snacks. >:D

My Dad once told me that lunches were disappearing where he worked . . . until one day a woman screamed when she bit into a habanero sandwich that wasn't hers.  =D

I've heard of people doing things that are considerably more harmful to the lunch bandits . . . but, fortunately, never at a place where I went to school or work.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 02:05:55 PM »
I've never had that happen to me.  I have rarely packed my own lunch I guess.  However, stealing other people's lunches has always struck me as one of the lowest things a person can do.  I think if I were on a jury and someone was up on charges for beating the crap out of a lunch bandit, I would be very tempted to aquit.  

IMO, anyone guilty of it should be fired and managers who fail to take action on it should be fired as well.  It is one of those basic employee morale issues that are really important.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 02:38:01 PM »
I've never had that happen to me.  I have rarely packed my own lunch I guess.  However, stealing other people's lunches has always struck me as one of the lowest things a person can do.  I think if I were on a jury and someone was up on charges for beating the crap out of a lunch bandit, I would be very tempted to aquit.  

IMO, anyone guilty of it should be fired and managers who fail to take action on it should be fired as well.  It is one of those basic employee morale issues that are really important.

It's more fun to teach the lunch bandits better behavior with fun suprises.

Dad sent a guy to the hospital with the exlax fake out once. I think, of all the crazy things he has done to people, that's the only one he feels a bit guilty for.
The extra strong Gold Bond in some dudes undershorts, though, he has no remorse.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 06:06:12 PM »
I made a "peanut butter" and jelly sandwich out of dog feces at one place where my lunch was frequently stolen.

That cured the sumbitch. 

I got another "good talkin' to" though.   It didn't go well.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 06:59:03 PM »
Had a guy like that at my old job. Everyone knew it was him, but management wouldn't do much about it, and he wouldn't stop.

Until I made a nice, big bowl of Exlax chocolate pudding.

He was out for 3 days.

Beautiful, just beautiful.

I made a "peanut butter" and jelly sandwich out of dog feces at one place where my lunch was frequently stolen.

That cured the sumbitch. 

I got another "good talkin' to" though.   It didn't go well.

A freaking work of art.

"good talkin' to?"  As in, "Atta-boy!  Way to ferret out the buddy-humping oxygen thief!" I would hope.  Anything else would likely get my back up.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

erictank

• friends
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 12:57:38 PM »
While I've had the odd thing disappear from the fridge every now and then here, we're generally talking about stuff that I'd left in the work fridge for a week or so, and only about once a year, if that.  Not a major issue, although it's certainly annoying when it does occur.

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
HankB --

Habaneros go well in salads as well.  =D
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 01:06:49 PM »
Speaking of people who steal your stuff out da fridge:

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=33492.0
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 02:16:10 AM »
Battle Monkey of Zardoz  said,

Charge him with theft, enhance it to a felony for carrying a firearm. That's what would have happened to a non badge wearing citizen.

Too true to be funny.   (But I laughed anyhow.)

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 04:34:34 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.