Author Topic: rail gun video  (Read 5091 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: rail gun video
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 03:12:50 PM »
Ooooh!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 04:39:00 PM »
Both customers of mine.

Makes what I do for them in a very removed third-hand sort of way seem a teeny bit more exciting.
I promise not to duck.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 05:58:26 PM »
What caused the fire?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 06:16:10 PM »
What caused the fire?

A guess?  Molten metal arcing off.  Maybe ionized air (plasma) resulting from the arc.  Assuming this is a true "rail gun", and not a coil gun.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 06:38:55 PM »
We need to acquire one after we buy and populate APStown.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 06:47:35 PM »
What caused the fire?
Overdose of Awesome.
I like that thing. Bit too big to conceal carry it though. When are they releasing the compact version? Will it have the shoulder thing that goes up and a gonkulator? Most importantly, will this railgun have accessory rails?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 07:34:54 PM »
Our class never got to take a tour of the place, :'( You could here it on base when it went off though. Pretty cool stuff.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 07:59:14 PM »
A guess?  Molten metal arcing off.  Maybe ionized air (plasma) resulting from the arc.  Assuming this is a true "rail gun", and not a coil gun.

I promise not to duck.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 08:56:32 PM »
What caused the fire?

Hot air.

The projectile takes roughly 100 liters of air and shock compresses it as it travels down the barrel, heating it substantially, the air becomes incandescent as it leaves.

It is a true railgun, not a coil-gun.

The plasma is too hot to be visible, the "fire" is just plain old hot air :)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 09:33:08 PM »
Was the projectile wobbling before or after it went through the target? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 10:28:23 PM »
Was the projectile wobbling before or after it went through the target? 

I was trying to figure that out too.

The projectile/armature looks like it's just a test payload and not too aerodynamic Hard to say, but it looks like it might be yawing a bit. I think in a deployable system, the armature that bridges the rails would be a two piece sabot that falls away, with a dart similar to an APDS in the center.
I promise not to duck.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 01:11:54 AM »
>The plasma is too hot to be visible, the "fire" is just plain old hot air<

Wait... they loaded it with Fistful?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 01:36:21 AM »
I'm gonna start buying me some big-assed capacitors.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 01:57:56 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 09:50:27 AM »
I'm gonna start buying me some big-assed capacitors.

Better off with a compulsator...for low impedance loads like a railgun, it's a better (and cheaper/more effective) match...see the Texas center for electromagnetics web page to learn more.

A vacuum core superconducting inductor is actually the best choice, but opening switches are an issue....(a new version of which I am in the process of patenting)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 09:50:49 AM »
>The plasma is too hot to be visible, the "fire" is just plain old hot air<

Wait... they loaded it with Fistful?

How else do you get an:

Overdose of Awesome.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 09:54:35 AM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 10:35:22 AM »
Better off with a compulsator...for low impedance loads like a railgun, it's a better (and cheaper/more effective) match...see the Texas center for electromagnetics web page to learn more.

A vacuum core superconducting inductor is actually the best choice, but opening switches are an issue....(a new version of which I am in the process of patenting)

Seems to me that while compacting the power supply and handling of the electricity is a "very good thing" for railgun applications, the first applications are going to be naval vessels where space and power limitations are lessened somewhat.

I'm wondering where they stand in terms of disintegration/ablation of the rails themselves.
I promise not to duck.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 12:34:53 PM »
Seems to me that while compacting the power supply and handling of the electricity is a "very good thing" for railgun applications, the first applications are going to be naval vessels where space and power limitations are lessened somewhat.

I'm wondering where they stand in terms of disintegration/ablation of the rails themselves.

Rail life is still a major issue...but I'm in the process of finalizing a design that deals with that as well.

The issue of power is still an issue on a ship, even with a future "all electric" ship--that railgun needs peak powers in the 10-20GW range (or higher), or 200-400x what an all-electric destroyer could output in steady-state (and 50-100x what a carrier could do).

The main idea with a compulsator would be to have it mechanically driven off the same shaft as the main generator (gas turbine generator normally used to power propulsion motors)--allowing energy storage and peaking generation in the same device.

Brings new meaning to "divert power to weapon systems"...now all we need are shields!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 12:43:58 PM »
I knew when i read the thread title that birdman would end up in here.

Hey birdman... when we gonna get together for beers and consumption of seared meat?

Wifey and I were just talking recently about missing our breakfasts.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 01:11:03 PM »
Rail life is still a major issue...but I'm in the process of finalizing a design that deals with that as well.

The issue of power is still an issue on a ship, even with a future "all electric" ship--that railgun needs peak powers in the 10-20GW range (or higher), or 200-400x what an all-electric destroyer could output in steady-state (and 50-100x what a carrier could do).

The main idea with a compulsator would be to have it mechanically driven off the same shaft as the main generator (gas turbine generator normally used to power propulsion motors)--allowing energy storage and peaking generation in the same device.

Brings new meaning to "divert power to weapon systems"...now all we need are shields!

I'm wondering if twin counter-rotating sets of rails, arrayed like two side-by side Gatling guns, and the two aligned rails firing, then rotating out of the way would work to distribute wear on the rails, just like a traditional Gatling gun distributes wear and heat on it's barrels. There's  nothing about a railgun that requires the rails be enclosed in a "barrel", other than structural, to contain the extreme forces.

Although I'd think such a system is probably too complex, heavy, and costly to be worth it.
I promise not to duck.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 02:52:10 PM »
A vacuum core superconducting inductor is actually the best choice, but opening switches are an issue....(a new version of which I am in the process of patenting).

Do you mean closing the switches?  Or opening them as the missile passes given points in the fields?

I designed, but never built, a tiny one for throwing a 3/8" section of 1/4 inch aluminum dowel, using braided "solder wick" for contacts instead of rails.  But my son borrowed my big caps and I haven't seen them since. I also intended to use the big neo magnets from a voice-coil driven hard drive for the mag field.

If I had got the thing to even eject the aluminum rod, I would have considered it a great triumph.

I was pretty sure I got the right-hand-left-hand motor and generator rules mixed up, as well as "north-seeking" versus "true north" poles of the magnet mixed up, but I figured there were only four combinations to try in order to get it right.

Might have shot backwards on one combination, though.  :facepalm:

Still, a micro-triumph.  Yay, Terry!

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 03:24:48 PM by 230RN »

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 03:06:33 PM »
I love to see the effect of such a projectile that had a clustering/self-fragmenting charge go off some set number of meters before it hit the target.  Yeah, less penetration for heavily armored targets, but most naval gunfire targets are not of that sort.

MV for comparison:
Rail gun `~3000+m/s
LOSAT     ~1800m/s
TOW       ~260m/s
5.56NATO ~940m/s

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2012, 03:26:32 PM »
^ Thanks.  I was going to look those up.

By the way, I dug out my original sketch of mine --more of a schematic than a "design."  The projectile itself was its own "rails" in this case, and current would be cut off as the slug passed the braided conductors (see inset at upper right):

It was supposed to be enclosed in a tube for guidance and to prevent tipping (flipping over) of the Al slug.

Like I say, I probably got the RH and LH motor and generator rules mixed up, as well as "north-seeking" versus "true north" poles of the magets.  And I'd have been happy just to see it eject the slug in one combination.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 03:39:43 PM by 230RN »

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 03:40:59 PM »
The answer for fleet electricity generation: nukes, nukes, and more nukes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_class_cruiser
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_class_cruiser

"You can never have enough nukes."
----John Derbyshire

He has shown us the way...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyman_G._Rickover
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 03:45:57 PM by roo_ster »
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 03:47:18 PM »
I was trying to figure that out too.

The projectile/armature looks like it's just a test payload and not too aerodynamic Hard to say, but it looks like it might be yawing a bit. I think in a deployable system, the armature that bridges the rails would be a two piece sabot that falls away, with a dart similar to an APDS in the center.

This one shows what is more likely to be close to some of the final production kinetic projectiles: http://youtu.be/1ix62_oBGtg