Author Topic: Medical ethicists: newborns are not actual people, can be killed ethically  (Read 13859 times)

CNYCacher

• friend
Cny, think about this for a second - why is there no debate possible!  That would be because you defined "new organism" the way you did.  You're mistaking a tautology for a proof.

"New" or "organism", which word doesn't fit?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Conception is the point at which half of the dna from the father bonds with half the dna from the mother.  There is no debate possible about whether or not this is the point at which a new organism is created.  If you want to debate about the morality of killing this organism based on where it is in its journey to eventually becoming an adult person of value, then go right ahead, but to attempt to prop up your debate by disagreeing that a new organism is created at conception just exposes your ignorance.

No, it's not ignorance at all. It's refusal to admit facts which are inconvenient. The next step in the pattern is to claim that the facts presented by the scary social conservative are actually religious dicta, or a moral judgment. Plain, prosaic words like "life," "human," "individual," or "child" will then be accused of having some religious intent, or of being packed with philosophical assumptions.

And the game goes on. So does the holocaust, of course. 

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
How did I not find this thread until now?  Anyway, http://youtu.be/t4gXVXVXzqg   ;)
"It's good, though..."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
What is man?

Ultimately the question is really, what is a human being?

The question of what we are has not been answered by science. Our culture is just drifting in the direction of holding the presupposition that the materialist assumption is the truth. Faith in science and scientists to lead the way have taken the place of religion.

The hubris of exterminating millions of unborn under the guise of "human" rights is Orwellian in the extreme.

Redefining words and terms to mean the opposite of their historical meaning seems to be the tactic that is undermining our society culture.

The two sides of the culture divide are hardly speaking the same language.  
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 08:29:18 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

longeyes

• friend
Save your time: the human being is a consumer, a profit center, a government beneficiary. 

It's not the human beings who matter, it's the gods, and we have an entire class, on a global scale, of those now.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.