Author Topic: Inflation: Not as low as you think (or as they are telling us)  (Read 5128 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505144_162-57387655/inflation-not-as-low-as-you-think/

Surprising admission from the mainstream media

Forget the modest 3.1 percent rise in the Consumer Price Index, the government's widely used measure of inflation. Everyday prices are up some 8 percent over the past year, according to the American Institute for Economic Research.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

longeyes

• friend
Re: Inflation: Not as low as you think (or as they are telling us)
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 01:52:18 PM »
I don't think too many are really surprised.  You can't believe the Ministry of Truth.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 02:56:02 PM »
I don't think too many are really surprised.  You can't believe the Ministry of Truth.
The surprise isn't in the number, the surprise is in the network's admission that the real number is higher than claimed.

As anyone who regularly shops for themselves and their household already knows.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 06:11:41 PM »
Nothing is as you are told it is. Government takes its lying very seriously. If it isn't a lie, it isn't an Official Statement.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 07:10:28 PM »
Nothing is as you are told it is. Government takes its lying very seriously. If it isn't a lie, it isn't an Official Statement.

Wait wut?  What about our awesome "recovery"?

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 08:09:04 PM »
The surprise isn't in the number, the surprise is in the network's admission that the real number is higher than claimed.

As anyone who regularly shops for themselves and their household already knows.

If they say 8 you can bet it is more.  My numbers show gold up 17 per cent in the last year.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 03:00:49 AM »
I've lost track, is it still Bush's fault?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 06:53:05 AM »
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 12:23:43 PM »
Part of it is W.'s fault, yes, and Clinton's, and Bush the Elder's, and...follow it back to FDR and Wilson and beyond.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 12:27:45 PM »

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 08:15:40 AM »
The "Misery Index" is actually higher now than when Reagan was elected over Carter.

So what is the true inflation rate?

Fortunately, the folks at the American Institute of Economic Research have resurrected the idea. Their Everyday Price Index (EPI) strips away the cost of big-ticket items, like homes and cars, and looks at the cost of things that consumers encounter on a daily or monthly basis, such as groceries, prescription medicine, and telephone and cable bills. By that measure, the Everyday Price Index shows inflation galloping ahead at an 8.1 percent annual rate, a reading that would put the current Misery Index at a Carter-like 16.4 percent — not a good recipe for re-election.

Averaging the CPI and the EPI gives us a rate of 5.6 percent, a number most New Yorkers, and probably most Americans, would consider on the mark.

By that estimate, the Obama Misery Index comes in at 13.9 percent, higher than that of any president up for re-election since Carter in 1980, but not too far above the 12.4 percent misery reading when Ronald Reagan ran in 1984.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/price_clubbed_in_jRGGyS9wKfAKjxAs0bkVnO
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 08:26:12 AM »
When it comes to annual salary increases at my employer, inflation is low - average across the corporation this year is around 2%, which is up from last year's 1%. (Except for the executive conference, where the decision makers have to make do with a paltry 59%.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 09:46:13 AM »
The president alone does not shoulder the blame for inflation.

Poor economic policy and excessive spending at all levels of government have a part in this.

Congress especially share responsibility for not addressing issues other than by lip service.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 10:31:23 AM »
No, Jamie, presidents don't shoulder the blame for high inflation, recessions, or low/no inflation and economic recoveries. But the media and other voices would have us believe they do. So, if Bush I and II were blamed for the economic problems on their watch, then Obama deserves blame on his.

Also, while he does not legislate, a president does push legislation, and Obama has pushed for many measures that have adversely affected the economy. The spending and the prospect of higher taxes are two major factors affecting our economy, and both lie in Obama's lap.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 11:22:17 AM »
The president alone does not shoulder the blame for inflation.

Poor economic policy and excessive spending at all levels of government have a part in this.

Congress especially share responsibility for not addressing issues other than by lip service.

True, but the treasury IS controlled by the president, and when the treasury puts pressure on the fed to maintain treasury purchases, that can very easily affect money supply--which DOES cause inflation.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 11:47:18 AM »

Don't just blame Bush....the entire GOP is at fault for this..

Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 12:41:50 PM »
True, but the treasury IS controlled by the president, and when the treasury puts pressure on the fed to maintain treasury purchases, that can very easily affect money supply--which DOES cause inflation.

I don't believe that the interest rates have the effect on inflation that was once believed.

The FED recognized 2 years ago that further reductions in the discount rate had minimal impact on the economy, IIRC.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

birdman

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 01:44:47 PM »
I don't believe that the interest rates have the effect on inflation that was once believed.

The FED recognized 2 years ago that further reductions in the discount rate had minimal impact on the economy, IIRC.

I didnt say interest rates (meaning in this case the fed discount rate) I meant the treasury purchases.  In order to keep treasury rates low (to prevent exploding debt) the fed buys them from commercial banks at low rates, crediting the sellers with dollars.  This increases the money supply.  While not the primary supply tool (that's the discount and reserve rates), this directly effets the base money amount.  This quantitative easing causes inflation, regardless of discount rate or reserve rate.  So it artificially keeps federal debt interest low (without the fed buying, the free market rate for the treasuries would be higher, and thus interest payments and associated debt would be much greater) to make govt debt more affordable, but effectively is inflating away the debt.

While the fed is "technically" independent, the treasury does put significant pressure on it, and can influence these types of decisions.  Continuous money expansion is good for banks (which do control the fed) especially when coupled with low discount rates, but has negative effects on consumers.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2012, 01:46:57 PM »
I didnt say interest rates (meaning in this case the fed discount rate) I meant the treasury purchases.  In order to keep treasury rates low (to prevent exploding debt) the fed buys them from commercial banks at low rates, crediting the sellers with dollars.  This increases the money supply.  While not the primary supply tool (that's the discount and reserve rates), this directly effets the base money amount.  This quantitative easing causes inflation, regardless of discount rate or reserve rate.  So it artificially keeps federal debt interest low (without the fed buying, the free market rate for the treasuries would be higher, and thus interest payments and associated debt would be much greater) to make govt debt more affordable, but effectively is inflating away the debt.

While the fed is "technically" independent, the treasury does put significant pressure on it, and can influence these types of decisions.  Continuous money expansion is good for banks (which do control the fed) especially when coupled with low discount rates, but has negative effects on consumers.

All of that was correct except that open market purchases (buying treasury debt) IS the primary tool for affecting the money supply.

Discount rate is mostly ineffective and the reserve rates are rarely used because they are SO effective on the money supply.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2012, 03:46:34 PM »

Somehow the brain reading and the fingers typing had some kind of disconnect.
Your assertions are correct.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2012, 04:21:40 PM »
All of that was correct except that open market purchases (buying treasury debt) IS the primary tool for affecting the money supply.

Discount rate is mostly ineffective and the reserve rates are rarely used because they are SO effective on the money supply.

What I meant by primary I meant by fractional change yielding effects.  If one buys 10% more treasuries, the money supply increases by 10% of that auctioned amount (given deficits about equal to 10-15% of money supply this would be about a 1% change).  If one decreased the reserve rate by 10% (for instance, from 10 to 9 percentage points, the money supply would increase by 10% of the money supply--or nearly a ten times larger effect for a similar percentage delta in action.

Now, there are issues with that calculation, as it is much easier to change the treasury purchase by 10-50% while very difficult to change the reserve or discount rate by a similar fraction.
I did not mean primary as in "the most direct way".

Note, in the above, % refers to a relative change, percentage points to an absolute value.