Author Topic: Job training decreasing due to the economy  (Read 890 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Job training decreasing due to the economy
« on: March 02, 2012, 01:28:40 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/02/business/dealbook/state-cutbacks-curb-training-in-jobs-critical-to-economy.html?_r=1&hp

My stepdaughter has been trying for over a year now to get into nursing school in the Puget Sound area.  She has applied to about 15 public and private institutions and her number has not yet come up.  Most of the schools are so oversubscribed that they have a lottery to choose from the qualified candidates.  Some of her colleagues have been waiting for 2-3 years to get in.  My son is currently waiting for an open slot at a local community college for a CAM/machining program. 

I continue to believe that an educated workforce is vital to a strong economy.  Part of getting that workforce is private and local, state and governmental investment in the educational infrastructure.  My wife and I donate money to our alma maters, and we are happy to pay taxes that help support education. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

longeyes

• friend
Re: Job training decreasing due to the economy
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 05:17:56 PM »
Maybe if The State were not hostile to business, we'd have a stronger economy and those businesses would be training the workers they really need?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Job training decreasing due to the economy
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 06:17:35 PM »
Maybe if The State were not hostile to business, we'd have a stronger economy and those businesses would be training the workers they really need?

That's crazy talk.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton