Author Topic: Ann Coulter's push for Romney; care to critique?  (Read 25854 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Ann Coulter's push for Romney; care to critique?
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2012, 08:45:17 AM »
Are you saying that Paul would make for a worse leader than Romney or Santorum?.....

As a leader? Yes. There's a difference between having good policy and leading others in the execution of said policy.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2012, 09:46:39 AM »
As a leader? Yes. There's a difference between having good policy and leading others in the execution of said policy.

Point for Fistful on that one. I do have to agree with it. As far as I know, we've never seen how RP functions in an executive capacity. And to merely say "I think his policies and positions are right, and we need those positions/policies badly" does not answer the question.

I do sort of have this gut suspicion a Paul presidency could be a corrupt mess, where Paul has no ability to reign in folks running rough-shod over everything.  A Paul presidency, poorly executed, could discredit Libertarian thought for a hundred years. Yes, I understand the "if we never try" counter argument that's inherent in that.

To which I reply with the "Ground up, run for dog-catcher first"-argument about the LP.

To which you reply with the "Free State Project, they already are"-argument

To which I reply, "Good, they should keep on doing that."

However, I'd still be willing to take a chance on a RP presidency. But I understand people's honest reservations, and it's not just some anti-Libertarian phobia.
I promise not to duck.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2012, 09:52:37 AM »
My upcoming vote for Paul is every bit a negative vote against the status quo as it is a vote for him.

I refuse to give my consent to the cast of statist clowns running.

Since the Bush vs Clinton race I've sold out my vote choosing the lesser of two evils.

If a candidate doesn't promote liberty I'm not voting for them.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2012, 10:08:27 AM »
Leadership in and of itself is overrated. Good leaders (people who easily get people to follow) can take a nation of a cliff or into a World War and subsequent destruction if they don't have sound plans. Say what you will about his actions, Hitler was a gifted leader.

And Rand doesn't strike me as having the backbone Ron does, despite the relation. You will most likely never again get a more uncompromising and stalwart Constitutionalist. If you want to see real hacks and slashes to the Federal Government Ron Paul is pretty much the last viable chance. Someone needs to have the balls to hit the reset button because the system has clearly crashed.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2012, 11:27:02 AM »
You don't like Diet Coke? It strikes me like everything Coke isn't.

Meh. Rand may fail the libertarian ideological purity test, but he strikes me as far more likely to actually get something accomplished. How long has Ron Paul been in .gov, and what has he accomplished in that role? He's done a tremendous job popularizing libertarian thought, but in terms of actually changing laws etc he doesn't have a track record.

I'll take mostly right, and can get things done over %100 in line and ineffectual. Of course, I'm not an ideologically pure libertarian myself so it's even less of an issue...
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2012, 01:22:30 PM »
If it came out tomorrow that he was actually a cultist who ritually sacrificed children to the Great Old Ones she'd try to spin that as proof he wouldn't scare away the folks with devout religious beliefs.

That'd get my vote. 

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2012, 08:42:12 PM »
Meh. Rand may fail the libertarian ideological purity test, but he strikes me as far more likely to actually get something accomplished. How long has Ron Paul been in .gov, and what has he accomplished in that role? He's done a tremendous job popularizing libertarian thought, but in terms of actually changing laws etc he doesn't have a track record.

I'll take mostly right, and can get things done over %100 in line and ineffectual. Of course, I'm not an ideologically pure libertarian myself so it's even less of an issue...

It has nothing to do with ideological purity - have you known me to be ideologically pure ? - but, as Blackenzy said correctly, about backbone.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2012, 09:43:13 PM »
It has nothing to do with ideological purity - have you known me to be ideologically pure ? - but, as Blackenzy said correctly, about backbone.

I'd love to know what in his record you find so cowardly and lacking in moral fibre. Links would be appreciated.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2012, 09:50:41 PM »
I'd love to know what in his record you find so cowardly and lacking in moral fibre. Links would be appreciated.

I don't find his record cowardly.

[I have questions about his support of NAGR, but that's not cowardly].

I don't think he'd be bad as President. He would probably be good.

But good is not AWESOME.

He's not yet demonstrated the sort of AWESOME Ron Paul has demonstrated, for years.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #84 on: March 02, 2012, 11:23:15 AM »
Awesomely ineffectual, you mean? I'm about at the point where losing on principle is less attracctive than getting things done incrementally.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2012, 12:22:26 PM »
It is easy to be "awesome" when you are marginal and not taken seriously and you hang on to your nice job.  Paul is a gadfly, but the elephant is still there.

No "leader" is going to save or restore America, only a critical mass of good, strong citizens, and that will happen here...or somewhere else.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #86 on: March 02, 2012, 05:51:28 PM »
I think we can now say with confidence that, if either Romney or Obama is elected POTUS, it is fistful's fault....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2012, 06:34:17 PM »
Awesomely ineffectual, you mean? I'm about at the point where losing on principle is less attracctive than getting things done incrementally.

Except, Ron Paul is no running (anymore) for Congress. He's running for a job where wheeling-and-dealing is less required.

"Blah, blah, blah. You don't like me. I get it. Happily I don't need your liking to use the power of pardon. Enjoy the rest of your day."

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2012, 07:25:11 PM »
Except, Ron Paul is no running (anymore) for Congress. He's running for a job where wheeling-and-dealing is less required.

"Blah, blah, blah. You don't like me. I get it. Happily I don't need your liking to use the power of pardon. Enjoy the rest of your day."

I don't think Ron Paul believes he has a realistic shot at being nominated for potus. I think he's running to gain a stake for his ideas in the overall GOP. A plan which I fully endorse and support, btw.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2012, 07:35:35 PM »
I can't imagine this working if you don't make a good faith effort to get yourself nominated.

Running "just to make a point" basically just means nobody will care about your campaign.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2012, 02:57:50 AM »
I don't think Ron Paul believes he has a realistic shot at being nominated for potus. I think he's running to gain a stake for his ideas in the overall GOP. A plan which I fully endorse and support, btw.

I agree, seems like there is already a bit of horse trading going on too,
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2012, 01:12:50 PM »
I can't imagine this working if you don't make a good faith effort to get yourself nominated.

Running "just to make a point" basically just means nobody will care about your campaign.

It's politically naive to think a potus bid's only justifiable end goal is getting nominated. Running to spread a message, get a VP or other important spot, or just to tell the GOP that it needs the libertarians are all laudable goals.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2012, 11:34:02 PM »
Running to spread a message, get a VP or other important spot, or just to tell the GOP that it needs the libertarians are all laudable goals.

This, the good doctor has been a great influence on the GOP this yr.
I have high hopes for Rand, he seems like hes good on TV and quick witted-on fox news today he made a great argument against Santorum.

My first choice for pres is Sarah Palin, I plan on campaigning in every way I can for whomever is the GOP nod this yr though-I wish it was Paul ( because Sarah didn't run ) but its truly important we get any R in there so I can afford to buy some guns and ammo this yr
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2012, 01:34:24 AM »
It's politically naive to think a potus bid's only justifiable end goal is getting nominated. Running to spread a message, get a VP or other important spot, or just to tell the GOP that it needs the libertarians are all laudable goals.

On the contrary, it is politically naive to believe the media will pay any attention to a "bid" if the candidate will not at least make a good faith effort to win the race. The media - correctly - have paid nearly zero attention to the "run to make a point" libertarian party candidates over the years.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2012, 11:18:09 AM »
On the contrary, it is politically naive to believe the media will pay any attention to a "bid" if the candidate will not at least make a good faith effort to win the race. The media - correctly - have paid nearly zero attention to the "run to make a point" libertarian party candidates over the years.

That's funny. I seem to remember a lot of complaints about a "media blackout" of Ron Paul's candidacy. Why, it's almost as if he weren't making a good faith effort to win the race.

Yet even as the media has tried to downplay Ron Paul, his ideas have become more widespread.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2012, 01:38:42 PM »

Running as a pointless 3rd party candidate isn't effective. But in the primary of a major party? RP is gathering delegates, spreading his ideas, and pushing the GOP to the right even though everyone including Papa Ron know he won't get in. Losing the battle can still win the war.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #96 on: March 05, 2012, 03:47:04 PM »
Running as a pointless 3rd party candidate isn't effective. But in the primary of a major party? RP is gathering delegates, spreading his ideas, and pushing the GOP to the right even though everyone including Papa Ron know he won't get in. Losing the battle can still win the war.

This....Paul still has enough delagates to swing the nomination....and the GOP will ignore the number of voters in his influence at its peril....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #97 on: March 05, 2012, 06:28:22 PM »
You will most likely never again get a more uncompromising and stalwart Constitutionalist. If you want to see real hacks and slashes to the Federal Government Ron Paul is pretty much the last viable chance. Someone needs to have the balls to hit the reset button because the system has clearly crashed.

There are plenty of those out there; they just need the chance to emerge.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #98 on: March 05, 2012, 09:02:17 PM »
I would be willing to accept a Romney presidency if, and only if, we had a titanium-clad guarantee that Ron Paul, Rand Paul, and Herman Cain would be immediately appointed to the Supreme Court.....