Author Topic: Civil libertarians slam McCain cybersecurity bill  (Read 1640 times)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Civil libertarians slam McCain cybersecurity bill
« on: March 06, 2012, 05:05:06 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/civil-libertarians-slam-mccain-cybersecurity-bill-202619424.html

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - A cybersecurity bill introduced by Republican Senator John McCain could dramatically expand the domestic reach of U.S. intelligence agencies and potentially give them massive troves of emails, civil liberties advocates said.

Unlike the Democratic-led alternative supported by Majority Leader Harry Reid, the McCain bill stresses voluntary information sharing instead of regulation of critical industries by the Department of Homeland Security. McCain's bill was introduced last week.
Oh, it's just voluntary information sharing.

Where can that go wrong with our governmental officials being involved?

No need for personal security when our government's security is at risk.....
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Civil libertarians slam McCain cybersecurity bill
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 08:10:13 PM »
Kinda like the voluntarily 55MPH speed limit..... ;/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 08:55:26 PM »

Republicans eagerly expanding intrusive government.  Shocking.  Of course, Democrats will eagerly make it even worse when it's their turn.

Dem, Repub.  All tend to suck.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 10:33:43 PM »
Republicans eagerly expanding intrusive government.  Shocking.  Of course, Democrats will eagerly make it even worse when it's their turn.

Not really.  McCain doesn't represent all Republicans
A Senate aide, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the Senate is unlikely to pass either the McCain bill or the Democratic version and that talks on a possible compromise could begin in the coming weeks.
Just another thing that underscores why McCain couldn't beat Obama.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 11:41:11 AM »
Not really.  McCain doesn't represent all Republicans.

How many Republicans voted against the Patriot Act?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 02:30:33 PM »

One....Ron Paul.....probably why the GOP is campaigning against him....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 10:08:11 PM »

So if they did that, they love McCain and vote for any bill he proposes? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 07:08:22 AM »

Our political system has become a gypsy game.

Heads they win tails we lose.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.