Author Topic: Interesting article on alimony  (Read 7429 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Interesting article on alimony
« on: March 09, 2012, 02:10:56 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/09/opinion/hitner-alimony-overhaul-pro/index.html?hpt=hp_bn9

Here in Washington, alimony is called 'maintenance' and it is usually time-limited for a few years at most.  My neighbor was married for 15 years, her husband divorced her, and she got maintenance for three years to enable her to go back to school and be trained as a radiology technician.  The child support continued until their son was 18.  I paid child support after my first divorce but paid no maintenance to either ex, since they were both trained professionals already working.

Interesting article about long-duration alimony regardless of the duration of the marriage. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Lee

• friend
Re: Interesting article on alimony
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 06:43:16 PM »
When I hear and read horror stories about divorce settlements, it easier to understand why some guys go off the deep end.

One of my best friends just finished paying alimony after ~18 years of it. He met his ex in college -they had three kids- she decided not to work (in spite of having far more earning potential than he did)- she spent many of her days drinking and screwing other guys, after dropping the kids off at her mom's house, or to her co-conspirator friend who was also a heaving drinking, sleaze.   She also took "girls" vacations to the Bahamas and had some dark meat (photo evidence found by friend). My friend worked two jobs and did not fool around at all, or drink much.  The court gave her full custody, their house, alimony, child support, etc.  He literally has been living in "a trailer down by the river" for most of that time. He went back to court multiple times, and the judges treated him like he was nuts, lectured him like a child, and nothing changed.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 09:39:18 PM »
The screwing you get for the screwing you got.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 11:08:58 PM »
Oregon has lifetime alimony for marriages that end after 20 years, although it is not mandatory.  Judges can use discretion in assigning it, and that is a good thing.  I cannot think of too many cases where lifetime alimony can be justified.
My first marriage ended in Oregon after 22 years, and the possibility of lifetime alimony was the first thing I asked my attorney about.  It was a huge concern for me.
I lucked out in having found a very good attorney, my ex- having an inexperienced attorney, and the judge not being of the 'men are always to blame' mindset.  Five years of alimony and done.
I have several acquaintances and co-workers who are paying lifetime alimony.  They were not so lucky.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 11:11:27 PM »
The screwing you get for the screwing you got.
Retail is cheaper in the long run.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 06:37:00 AM »
Here the courts call it spousal support.  The ex got it awarded based on the only decent thing she did - argue that because she was batsh*t nuts she could not get/hold a job.  (You have no idea how good it feels to get a judicial ruling that she was.)

Per the IRS spousal support is deductable for the payor and reportable for the payee.  I got a call from them about my itemized deduction as they claimed they could find no matching report of income on her returns. =D

Little did I know that just by sending them a copy of the final decree (they apparently cannot compel either of us to produce one and were too lazy/cheap to go get a copy at the courthouse for $1.00) I qualified for the 15% reward for "turning in" a tax cheat.  Even littler did she know that the value of the share of the spousal abode I gave up in the property settlement (quit-claim deed) to her was also income - unreported income! =D =D

Let me say one little word - karma.

Then she had the decency to wait seven months before telling me she had remarried.  The grand total of two hours I spent in court over that was well worth it. =D =D =D

stay safe
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 04:43:37 PM »
Anyone who demands or accepts such was not worth marrying in the first place. Kids sure. Pay money so you can do less while ruining a new guy's life? No thanks, I'll pass.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 06:55:56 PM »
Isn't it interesting that the overwhelming majority of divorces are initiated by women. Maybe because incentives work, even perverse ones.

If a state doesn't have alimony, they will always have child support/welfare... guess which side almost always gets the kids?
Guess which side gets child support regardless if they remarry?

So lets check the perverse incentives scoreboard:
Social stigma - nope, in fact women are often encouraged to divorce
Religious stigma - among fundamentalists sometimes, mainstream christian no
Kids - default expectation for women to get them
Money and assets - default expectation for women to get it
House - default expectation for women to get it

Add it up, and there is no reason for an American man to get married or have kids, except for religious/moral reasons.

If the man is really that committed to God or morality, then he should only marry a non-feminist virgin (and be the same) for the best chance to avoid the fallout from the perverse incentives. Even then, such a young man should carefully consider the risks of willfully participating in such a biased system and how badly the situation can turn years down the road. Then weigh that risk to the character quality of the woman he is considering. The unfortunate part is that this coldly logical view is nearly impossible when a man is enamored of a pretty girl.  :facepalm:
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 07:02:31 PM »
Then weigh that risk to the character quality of the woman he is considering.

And sanity.  But, that's not always easily discerned early on.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 07:15:55 PM »
This article is relevant to the discussion about marriage, alimony, why many men feel no urge of getting married, etc. And many of the comments are pure gold: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704409004576146321725889448.html?mod=WSJ_hp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsThird#articleTabs_article
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 10:20:10 PM »
This article is relevant to the discussion about marriage, alimony, why many men feel no urge of getting married, etc. And many of the comments are pure gold: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704409004576146321725889448.html?mod=WSJ_hp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsThird#articleTabs_article

Too bad that's behind the pay wall.
Formerly sumpnz

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 06:39:25 AM »
Huh, I can read it just fine. ???
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 07:29:50 AM »
Huh, I can read it just fine. ???

Well, that's because you have as subscription to the WSJ, or at least thery think you do.  Us plebes get three lines ans an invitation to subscribe so we can read the rest of it.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 08:17:54 AM »
Well, that's because you have as subscription to the WSJ, or at least thery think you do.  Us plebes get three lines ans an invitation to subscribe so we can read the rest of it.

stay safe.
Well, what do you know =D.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 11:07:20 AM »
Google the article's title plus wsj , and click on the first link.  Opens right up.

Read the article before. The journalist is a bit overly negative, but I've noticed a fair trend of guys being reluctant to marry. The journalist in question was very angry, and possibly made some very bad decisions in selecting her dating partners. Sure, there are men who are not very good people and are exactly as she described.The journalist could try the approach of dating better men, and also creating incentive for men to wish to marry her. It'd be more work, and time intensive. Everything comes with a tradeoff.

But there's also plenty of folks like Nick, myself, my brother, etc. We're happy not being in a rush to get married. There is less social pressure, the benefits aren't high financially/socially, and virtually every guy is familiar with absolute horror stories about divorces. The only reasons to get married is religious, deeply committed to a particular lady and she wants to get married, or fear of dying alone. If none of those apply...  Why get married?

I'm not as bitter as some of the posters here, even though I have been burned more than once myself. No point in being too cynical, bitter and whatnot. Just poisons you against future possibilities.

That said, I see no reason to settle. I'm not opposed to getting married. But a lady would have to prove herself worthy before I'd take that gamble. Came close once. Otherwise, I am quite happy with socializing, spending funds on things that interest me and generally enjoying life.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 01:15:48 AM »
The only reasons to get married is religious, deeply committed to a particular lady and she wants to get married, or fear of dying alone. If none of those apply...  Why get married?

Children can be a big item in that list.  Obviously not universal, but it's gotta be up there in the list somewhere. 

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 02:11:12 AM »
I was all set to be pissed off, but find that I'm not--although Drewtam does draw an eloquent and full of bs picture of how men purportedly get screwed in divorce. 

Lifetime alimony is stupid, and while the pro-alimony article linked to in the anti-alimony article is full of sad tales of woe, obviously lifetime alimony didn't help those women out at all.  In fact, their plights were caused by people breaking the rules; as in every other area of life, excess regulation does nothing to ameliorate problems cause by rule-breakers.  And most of the sad tales of woe on the female side are caused by plain old lack of money.  My jackass ex isn't too much of a jackass to pay child support, just too much of a jackass to hold down a decent job.

Can't help but notice that the pro-lifetime-alimony is has a couple of dramatic "It's just ridiculous!!!!" lines (ok, fewer exclamation points.  I think) with no actual connection to anything ridiculous.  Sorry, I'm not on board with proclaiming it so as proof of the ridiculousness of just about anything.  'Specially not when it comes to alimony being related to factors like, oh, ability to pay or being a temporary took for getting a spouse situated in a new life.  There just isn't anything absurd about measuring a person's need for support following a marriage to the amount of time they took out of their working life to devote to the marriage. 

I disagree with some provisions of the new law.  Cohabiting is often not the same thing as marriage, particularly not in the level of commitment.  Especially if there are little kids, it can be a matter of convenience more than anything else, and shouldn't automatically be assumed to mean the new couple is pooling financial resources or sharing financial responsibilities. But other than that, it looks mostly solid.

The third article is...meh.  Spin.  Talking about nothing much, and making it look especially goofy.  Marrying a bit later or not at all as a demographic trend is not new, it's just different from the mid-to-late twentieth century, a pretty small slice of time, really.  I liked being married because I don't like being particularly interactive or social, and it's kind of hard for a single person to have another adult hovering in the background, doing their thing, not demanding much, very often.  One can always have friends over, but then you've gotta spend the whole time doing stuff, or talking about stuff, or generally interacting with them.  And that gets old pretty fast.  Guess I dislike living alone more than I fear dying alone.  Dying is a moment in time you can waste your whole life worrying about, and then half the time it sneaks up on you anyway.  Living is all the rest of the moments.

But living how one wants instead of seeking out of a model that is fraught with cultural and familial baggage all over the place?  I have a hard time seeing that as immaturity, in and of itself.  She's assuming some objective good in being married, and I don't know that that's the case.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 07:08:12 AM »
You specifically call me out as full of BS, but that's ok, I got data on my side.
Perhaps you can try again without the personal attack?
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 07:16:38 AM »
But living how one wants instead of seeking out of a model that is fraught with cultural and familial baggage all over the place?  I have a hard time seeing that as immaturity, in and of itself.  She's assuming some objective good in being married, and I don't know that that's the case.

KA-CHING!
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 11:23:01 AM »

Elegantly put.

Some of us don't see kids, marriage and/or white picket fence "Leave It To Beaver" suburbia as an ideal. If you want any or all of those, go for it. If not, go with that as well.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 10:28:43 PM »
You specifically call me out as full of BS, but that's ok, I got data on my side.
Perhaps you can try again without the personal attack?

Well, not quite.  I said the picture you drew was full of bs.  Small but significant distinction. 

It is not possible to have data that unequivocally demonstrates that one sex or the other gets screwed more, more frequently in divorce.  Getting screwed can only be expressed as an index of factors, thus it comes down to the issue of "lies, damn lies, and statistics."

Women file first?  I'll buy that.  That is a combination of women wanting divorce because of real or perceived advantages; women wanting divorce because they've been abandoned by their spouses; women wanting divorce because they need to have custody clarified for school, travel, medical care, insurance, etc., for the kids; women wanting divorce because the spouse has moved out and is having a merry old time randomly doing cute things like having the phone or the water shut off with no warning or discussion (ok, so that one is probably not particularly common, I just know someone who had to deal with that crap); women wanting divorce because the spouse has cleaned out the bank accounts and left her with the kids but not the money to feed them or to buy gas to get them to school; women wanting divorce because the spouse has committed multiple acts of fraud, forgery, theft, etc., against them (again, maybe not the most common, but personal experience with that joy); women wanting divorce because the spouse beats the *expletive deleted*it out of them on a regular basis; women wanting divorce because the spouse beats the *expletive deleted*it out of the kids on a regular basis; women wanting divorce because the spouse has decided that cooking meth in the house while the kids sleep is a great plan; women wanting divorce because CPS heard about the meth plan, or other reckless and/or criminal and/or abusive behavior and has informed the woman that the kids will go to foster care if she doesn't divorce the spouse.  Oh yeah, or he could be sleeping with a couple of her co-workers.  That can inspire divorce in the most stubbornly determined to stay married spouse.

Of course, women can pull all that crap and more.  When it comes to the amount of misery a crappy spouse can inflict, the sky is a limit, regardless of sex.  But filing for divorce does not indicate a massive trend of women cleaning out their spouses for all they've got, up to and including ice trays.  It may indicate a lower tolerance for putting up with the bs, or it may indicate a tendency to be subject to more violent and potentially dangerous bs.  But ok, so women file first.  Of course, sometimes men announce they're done and she can feel free to serve him papers anytime.  Nothing like your ex dumping you in the same breathe he assigns more work. This means nothing wrt who gets screwed more, more often.

But ok, so women tend to get the kids, and the house, and the child support, and the alimony. 

Ok, see, I dunno about you, but I personally do not enjoy having sole custody over and responsibility for my kids.  It is not awesome and wonderful being everybody's least favorite friend/co-worker/relative because you always need to leave early/take the day off because a kid is sick/have help picking up a kid from school because you have to get to work early because you couldn't stay late, etc.  I did not enjoy last winter, when I left for the daycare at 6:45 am, picked them up from the daycare at 6 pm, and then had the joy of trying to obtain groceries with two worn-out, cranky, miserable, exhausted kids.  Now I have help, but only because I'm significantly knuckling under to family wishes and living kind of the opposite of the lifestyle I'd like.  It is not a great thing to try desperately to convince your 2 y.o. that watered-down yogurt is milk because you are too tired to drag everyone out--a half hour+ ordeal--to buy actual milk.  It kind of sucks to not be able to get a haircuts for weeks or months because there is just no time when you don't have to take care of the kiddos. 

I would really like to have a social life someplace other than the internet.  But I can't leave the house.  This is not awesome. 

A whole lot of men don't have custody because they don't want custody.  Yes, courts are biased towards giving custody to the person who has demonstrated more having created a home for the child in various ways.  Yes, this usually means mom, and sometimes, that's a really, really bad call.  But women having custody more often is not just because courts hate men.  It also has something to do with men being far more likely than women to walk away from their kids, or to regard a night or two a week as sufficient time to be a parent.  Much as I never, ever, ever wanted to have sole responsibility for a couple kids, and much as I'm a crappy mom because I work too many hours, they are more upset and unsettled when I'm not around than when Dad isn't.  This is common.  And in my case it sure as hell isn't because dad was slaving away to provide a nice life for us.  In many cases it is.  But there is no general rule about these things.  In many cases the roles are completely reversed, and the courts are dumb and may not catch on to that.  But those are a small minority of cases.  Still sucks, but it's not nearly as one-sided as you make it out to be.

Ditto the house.  Can you say "white elephant"?  I know several woman who got stuck with the house.  In MI, houses are worth next to nothing and are hard to sell.  Even if the property settlement considers the sale of the house, she's still got to deal with it.  I don't recall the deals of how the marital property value of a house is set in MI, recall there's some funky rule--in any case, being stuck with the financial burden of the house is often not ideal.  But one spouse tends to move out first, and it's usually the man.  Call me a crazy sexist if you must, but I'm gonna chalk that up to basic male tendencies.  Going out prowling in a bar or apartment complex to fix a problem is the primitive hunter-gatherer dude trapped in suburbia.  Hunkering down in the house with the kids to weather the storm in a more typically female act.  Biology isn't destiny wrt behavior, most of the time, but it sure does have a humongous effect on statistics. 

And for the woman who keeps the house long-term?  Yeah, maybe some women are into that.  I personally find that while I miss having a workbench, not to mention a washing machine, a two bedroom apartment even is more housework than I can handle on top of the 45-50 hour/week job, the endless dropping off and picking up of kids, and my special "I'm too *expletive deleted*ing exhausted to move" internet time.  But unless there's serious money involved, which makes everything easier, it utterly sucks to intensify one's efforts to earn a living while moving from most (not always, but very often) of the housework to all of it, to prepare and serve every meal, to parent the kids.  In between homework and working late days and and generalized exhaustion at the end of the day, I never seem to get more than five minutes or so actually just be with my kids, instead of herding them from one thing to another to another.

Child support?  Yeah, goes with the kids.  Sometimes it's too high.  More often there just isn't any.  I don't get any; I could get a very small amount, but it would be insignificant to me, and is vital for him, so I don't expect any at this point.   Friend of mine doesn't get any.  Some men do end up paying too much, and that sucks.  But a whole lot more single parents need to receive a whole lot more child support before paying too much because a bigger problem than paying way, way, way too little or not at all.   

Alimony?  See above. In the rapidly dwindling minority of jurisdictions with way outdated statutes, yeah, alimony sucks.  Most states have re-written those laws and tend to award alimony in relatively few cases, a reasonable amount, and for just about long enough to get some education and get started on a path.  If you think that it is screwing men over to require that they pay for a little while to enable some education and employment prospects for a woman who has put her academic and career life on hold for the sake of washing your socks and bearing your children, well, then, you're wrong. 

Yes, marital property is divided.  In MI, I don't know well the laws of the few community property states.  Yeah, the guy earned that money.  What the heck was she doing the whole time she was scrubbing floors and bearing children and washing socks, if not earning that money?  Pretty much when a partnership dissolves, partnership property is divvied up.  Marriage is a partnership.  Basically, if you want every buck you ever made and everything that it paid for to belong to you and you alone, then either marriage is not for you, or marry someone with equal or better earning power.  But don't be too surprised when she's not too enthused about earning just as much money as you while she's bearing your children and washing your socks. 

I don't buy into statistics, but most single, divorced women I know certainly to struggle to keep up a comfortable-ish standard of living. Allegedly women tend to end up impoverished after divorce at a far greater rate than men.  Well, yeah.  Personally, the limits placed on working by being a single parent combined with bearing all the ordinary kid costs, combined with pay through through nose for every minute and then some I have to be working or otherwise away tends to limit one's financial health.  This applies to single dads as much as single moms, but there are fewer single dads, and not just because the courts hate guys. 

I tend to think generalities in this case are more than a little ludicrous.  There are so many variables and so many deviations from them, and so often, so much of what you consider men being screwed turns out to screw the woman just as much, but in a more labor-intensive way.  Yeah, I got screwed in my marriage/break-up.  So did Nick.  So did Scout.  Etc. It happens.  We could've married smarter, but hindsight is 20/20, and you gotta live the life you got. Personally, I'm way, way nicer to my ex than he has earned, because I have a vested interest in not crushing my daughters' father like a bug.  So I let him watch the girls at my place, and I help him with transportation from time to time, and I won't ask for child support until he has a job. Wouldn't make much different to me, don't see the point.  And I hardly ever call him a jackass to his face  :angel:  I know women and men who are similarly going above and beyond to be decent to a wreck of an ex for the sake of the kids, or just for the sake of not being a jerk.  Thus, I dislike the bitterness of the generalities tossed out by both sides.  They do nothing but foster resentment and perpetuate bitterness and increase attorneys' billings.  And much as one can holler "well, I wasn't talking about YOU!!!!" sorry, no.  You foster unwarranted, unnecessary bitterness against divorced women, and well, as a divorced women, I reserve the right to call bs.

Marital dissolution screws most people to some degree or another and it just cannot be quantified as men/women get screwed more/more often.  When there's serious jackassery on the part of one spouse, it tends to screw the more innocent spouse more.  Taking a life and splitting in half pretty much sucks for everybody who loses half their life, and especially for those of us you've already lost most of it to spousal malfeasance.  Besides, I've lost my kids to daycare as surely as my ex has lost (well, given) them to me.  Parenting is a team sport, doing it alone is bad for all involved, especially the kids.   :'(

And that's all I have to say about that.  :laugh:

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2012, 11:07:44 PM »
PS: Are you seriously saying, at this moment in time, that there is no social stigma in getting divorced?  Seriously?  Sorry...with kids at least, the stigma is huge.  Huge. 

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2012, 01:08:50 AM »
Bridgy - You really shouldn't hold it all in.  It's not good for you.  Tell us how you really feel.   >:D
Formerly sumpnz

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2012, 01:32:45 AM »
Bridgy - You really shouldn't hold it all in.  It's not good for you.  Tell us how you really feel.   >:D

Dude.  'S like this.  I slept thirty minutes-ish last night.  Except I got up for ten minutes in the middle.  And then I worked for twelve hours.  And then I drank some wine to try to calm down.  I may regret it tomorrow, but there's no way I have anything remotely resembling restraint tonight.

Example: My first idea for a response was "*expletive deleted*ck you" but then I remembered at the last moment that it's hard to convey that one is attempting humor rather than to insult with the whole internet and all.  So, possibly marginal restraint.  Very marginal. 

I think everyone should stay away from pretty much 43 hours or so, and put in twenty-one of 'em on the clock, in between mommy-ing an housekeeping and spending ten minutes on hold with the IRS to straighten out yet another of the ex's lies.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2012, 01:39:32 AM »
*expletive deleted*ck you would have perfectly OK as a response.

But yes, that was an attempt at humor.  Hence the emoticon.
Formerly sumpnz