Author Topic: Homeless people turned into walking WIFI hotspots  (Read 1439 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Homeless people turned into walking WIFI hotspots
« on: March 13, 2012, 12:40:55 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/03/13/homeless-people-turned-into-walking-wifi-hotspots-in-charitable-experiment/

Marketing company giving free Novatel Wireless MiFi APs to homeless people.  They also get a tee shirt with their names and words "I'm a 4G hotspot".  Recommend donation of $2/15mins of use to the homeless person.  User must stay within 30' of hotspot homeless person.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Lee

• friend
Re: Homeless people turned into walking WIFI hotspots
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 08:23:42 PM »
Hmmm...nothing could go wrong there.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 02:18:15 AM »
User must stay within 30' of hotspot homeless person.

Find me a truely homeless person, as opposed to a professional schnorer, that bathes and washes their clothes regularly (without using black market Tide would be a plus) so that I do not have to continue shifting with the wind.

I know some that take advantage of every resource out there but cannot get into, or cannot maintain residence in, what is referred to as "stable housing".  I also know of some pros that retire to day-rate notel [sic] rooms every night after dining out at better than Chez Mickies.  The former are for the most part what used to be called ship-shape, while the latter might actually gag the proverbial buzzard.

And if they are only taking in $12/hr they need either a better location or lessons in schnoring.  Guy at the entrance to the K-Mart/Food Lion that serves the Latino community rakes in better than $25/hr weekdays, and closer to $50 on weekends.  Yes, that is per hour!  I've talked with him several times, and watched him (because I had nothing better to do), so those amounts are fairly honest.  He blows most of it on beer, but to his credit he makes sure his dog eats the best brands and sees the vet at least every 3 months.  And he is at the kaundramat every Monday mid-day.  I do suspect that he has a stash of cash somewhere, but he's much to smart/experienced to have it near the shack he put together in the woods.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 08:03:50 AM »
"User must stay within 30' of hotspot homeless person."

Uhm... pass.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 09:46:01 AM »
This was a stunt for sxsw this week
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 05:27:54 PM »
This was a stunt for sxsw this week

And if it gets them enough publicity they say they are going to do it in other places.

It's creative exploitation of the homeless.  In other words, The American Way.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 05:33:54 PM »
So help me here.

In America, the security guards at supermarkets earn $25/hour?

How does this occur?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 05:38:05 PM »
So help me here.

In America, the security guards at supermarkets earn $25/hour?

How does this occur?

Not security guard... homeless bum begging money from patrons of the store.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 07:43:45 AM »
Hmm....I wonder home much extra $ it will take to bribe them to carry additional hardware for exploiting the dumb people who use it, and steal their data/ID's/etc.   better yet, equip them with RFID readers as well....who notices homeless people?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 08:30:11 AM »
Oddly enough, various bleeding hearts from as far away as New York City have denounced this, saying that it was "demeaning" for the poor homeless people to earn some extra pocket money this way, and that they were being "exploited."    :facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 09:25:41 AM »
Were those the folks from NYC attending SXSW who are paying $700/night for a 2-star hotel room?

NPR Radio had a "feature" on housing for attendees and the number of folks who do not even blink at those prices or the lack of amenities for the cost was literally staggering.

Now, I've never been in a position to afford $700/night for any place to rest my weary head, but I honestly have to wonder at something akin to AmeriSuites (no, that chain was not mentioned - just an "all-suites motel") for what should be more than an all-nighter with a companion (OK, not top-end but with the lights off ....).

stay safe.