Author Topic: I hate non-moving escalators!  (Read 3876 times)

freakazoid

• friend
I hate non-moving escalators!
« on: March 15, 2012, 10:47:24 PM »
Every time I come up to one that isn't on and step on it, it's like my body thinks it's still on and tries to balance itself as if the escalator is going to pull me forward. It doesn't matter how much I tell myself it's not on, when I come up to one I still get that off balance feeling. Does this ever happen to anyone else?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: I hate non-moving escalators!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 10:49:52 PM »
No I usually walk up or down them.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 10:55:17 PM »
You mean stairs?  ;) >:D
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 10:06:39 AM »
My problem w/ escalators that aren't moving is that the tread is different from regular stairs.  So it throws me off kilter as I try to walk up/down them.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 05:26:13 PM »
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 05:26:25 PM »
Who knew that the past perfect tense of wearing a skirt was "kilter"?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 10:20:25 PM »
Are you the blonde who got stuck on an escalator ?   =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 10:04:21 AM »
Avoid the DC metro, there's a broken escalator in every station
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 11:01:18 AM »
IIRC escalators in their original intent were made to have people continue walking up them as if they were using  regular stairs, the idea being a very fast ascent. The same idea behind motorized belt walkers in airports. You are not supposed to just stand there, but continue walking, moving forward at an increased speed. The just-stand-there while texting is just the end-user application. I am sure that the end-user application of most inventions is the source of many a mechanical engineers' facepalm.  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 11:27:46 AM »
non moving escalators never bothered me, i was born in a house with one. =D
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 04:08:33 PM »
IIRC escalators in their original intent were made to have people continue walking up them as if they were using  regular stairs, the idea being a very fast ascent. The same idea behind motorized belt walkers in airports. You are not supposed to just stand there, but continue walking, moving forward at an increased speed. The just-stand-there while texting is just the end-user application. I am sure that the end-user application of most inventions is the source of many a mechanical engineers' facepalm.  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Considering that the escalator was first invented in 1859 and the first commercial escalators date to about 1900, nearly a century before the advent of text messaging, I doubt very much that this was ever the intent. In reading about the history of escalators, I have found nothing to suggest that the originators cared one way or another if the users walked while riding or stood while riding.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 04:57:41 PM »
I suppose you could replace "texting" with any banal activity that does not include walking. Twidling your thumbs? Just used texting as an activity everyone can relate to.

I still contend that you are supposed to walk up them.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 05:09:03 PM by Blakenzy »
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 07:29:20 PM »
I like walking on them. It's kinda hard to do when idiots are in your way.

I will admit, I do get a little weirded out about getting clothes or shoes pinched in the moving parts though. I always hop on and off to avoid the edge.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 09:56:02 PM »
Considering most escalators I have ever seen have elevators and stairs nearby or close, I really doubt the intent was to walk up them.  Also, they normally make the height of the steps a bit higher than normal stairs.  They wouldn't do that if it was intended to move on them. 

I have heard that motorized sidewalks were intended to walk on and I agree they should be used that way as it is much faster with little or no extra effort.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 10:04:57 PM »
I like walking on them. It's kinda hard to do when idiots are in your way.

True.

It's much more regimented in Russia. Riders are expected to stay strictly to the right, leaving the left side clear for those who want to walk up (or down) the moving stairway.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2012, 09:46:35 AM »
I always walk up escalators, unless someone is standing in the way. :mad:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2012, 10:35:27 AM »
I guess if you really want some exercise, you could walk up the down escalator  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 01:20:26 PM »
I guess if you really want some exercise, you could walk up the down escalator

I've seen flight attendants use the conveyor belt walkways at airports for treadmills.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 01:20:33 PM »
I've seen flight attendants use the conveyor belt walkways at airports for treadmills.

blondes?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2