Author Topic: Sunglasses  (Read 6092 times)

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
Re: Sunglasses
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2012, 07:57:35 AM »
Count me in as another who always gets a headache when wearing cheap sunglasses.  I can't say if expensive ones fix the problem as I've never tried. I can't bring myself to spend that much on a pair of sunglasses I will inevitably break or lose.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2012, 12:09:54 PM »
You really want to get good lenses that actually filter out UV and don't just make things look dark-er. Cheap tinted plastic just doesn't cut it once you have tried the real deal. Quality sunglasses should give a nitid, artifact free view with improved contrast.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2012, 03:10:47 PM »
I like the way brown-tinged ones enhance colors and contrasts.  Look at a cloud pattern someday with and without brown lenses. It's just like a Wratten 3A filter with panchromatic film.  Really brings out the clouds and colors of foliage.

3A?  I wonder if I got that filter number right.  Been a while.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2012, 03:38:17 PM »
You really want to get good lenses that actually filter out UV and don't just make things look dark-er. Cheap tinted plastic just doesn't cut it once you have tried the real deal. Quality sunglasses should give a nitid, artifact free view with improved contrast.

My eyes can be light sensative at times so I wear quality sunglasses, more so in the winter time than in the summer. My current set is a pair of Vaurnet I got 6 years ago and I'm about due for another pair. I've been thinking about a pair of Raybans.

I love polarized and it makes the image clear in my eye.

Cheap sunglasses to me always scratch, make things blurry and break easily. I would probably spent $200 a year on cheap sunglasses until I finally broke down and got the Vaurnet glasses. I also have a pair of Suncoast sunglasses that were pretty good until the coating started to peel from insect repellant overspray. They have a lifetime warranty but I haven't the heart to use it since it was my own fault.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2012, 04:22:22 PM »
Prescription polarized.  Polycarbonate has proven worth the cost, resisting scratching well enough that my primary cause for replacement is prescription failure, not the beach glass effect.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2012, 10:17:24 PM »
As soon as I finished the next day follow up appointment for my Lasik surgery, I stopped at Bass Pro Shops and got some polarized fishing glasses, Sea Shark or something like that for about $20 or $30.  They work great IMO and fit decent enough though the polarization makes it hard to read the in-dash navigation sometimes.  

Having worn glasses for years, I find I really hate the idea of wearing sunglasses that look or fit like regular glasses and I find I really like them to wrap around the sides a bit.

Not the deciding factor but one of the reasons I had LASIK done was so I could wear the "cool" shades.

I have several pair of the higher end wrap around safety glasses in different tints with polycarbonate lenses. Good for riding the bike and shooting. And of course they look cool.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

220_SWIFT

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2012, 10:30:41 PM »
I wear polarized Oakley Flak Jacket XLJ's, every single day.  Hands down the best sunglasses I have ever owned.  I used to buy the cheap $20 polarized sunglasses, and these blow them out of the water.  Eye fatigue is non-existent, and they are incredibly comfortable for all day wear in any activity I do.  I used to average 5 pairs of the cheap ones per year.  They either broke, or got scratched up.  These are now 3 years old, and are still like new.  So, as of right now, I am money ahead.  My wife has had her regular Flak Jackets for just as long, and hers are like new as well.  I did have to replace the ear socks for her, but that was still cheaper than a cheap pair of sunglasses.  I'll never go back.   

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2012, 10:43:24 PM »
The cheapest sunglasses I ever had were ones I bought in 1969. They were so cheap they starting getting soft on my dashboard from the sun and heat.