Author Topic: The Rise and Fall of Stockton, CA.  (Read 18146 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: The Rise and Fall of Stockton, CA.
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2012, 09:32:23 AM »

Police to ignore California impound law amid concern of fairness to illegal immigrantsI

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/03/22/police-to-ignore-california-law-requiring-authorities-to-impound-vehicles/

The Los Angeles Police Department will soon start ignoring California state law, which requires police to impound the vehicles of unlicensed drivers for 30 days.

The majority of unlicensed motorists in Los Angeles are immigrants who are in the country illegally and have low-income jobs. The LAPD says the state's impound law is unfair because it limits their ability to get to their jobs and imposes a steep fine to get their car....

Opponents of Beck's decision are furious and refer to studies showing unlicensed drivers are among the most dangerous on the road. Indeed, a 2011 AAA study titled "Unlicensed to Kill" finds they are five times more likely to be involved in fatal crashes and more likely to flee the scene of a crime.

Did someone mention rule of law or equal treatment under the law upthread?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2012, 11:32:38 AM »
wait  re they only releasing the cars of "undocumented" unlicensed drivers? or all unlicensed drivers?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2012, 11:42:29 AM »
Stockton is "only" 42 per Hispanic.  Yeah, who knew?   Of course these are the official stats, aren't they?

You're barking up the wrong tree with this crap, and hijacking the original thread to showboat your racisit tendencies. 
If you've got hard data to post that proves the demographics of california are to blame for its demise, then put up or shut up.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2012, 01:33:02 PM »
You're barking up the wrong tree with this crap, and hijacking the original thread to showboat your racisit tendencies. 
If you've got hard data to post that proves the demographics of california are to blame for its demise, then put up or shut up.

That's an awfully nice straw man you've constructed there. 

OTOH, were you interested in discussion rather than misplaced indignation, it might be helpful to point out to us who has blamed California's woes solely on demographics.  Or provide a reason why an article addressing California's difficulties would legitimately ignore such a large factor as demographic change via illegal immigration, their anchor babies, and the costs they impose on the state & local polities. 

Heck, here are some close to your neck of the woods that indicate demographic change is an elephant in the room:
http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Illegal-immigrants-may-be-majority-at-Harris-1699591.php
http://www.portfolio.com/industry-news/health-care/2009/11/20/illegal-immigrants-cost-local-hospitals-while-feds-avoid-issue/

Also, nice cheapening of the word "racist." 
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2012, 03:05:08 PM »
That's an awfully nice straw man you've constructed there. 

OTOH, were you interested in discussion rather than misplaced indignation, it might be helpful to point out to us who has blamed California's woes solely on demographics.  Or provide a reason why an article addressing California's difficulties would legitimately ignore such a large factor as demographic change via illegal immigration, their anchor babies, and the costs they impose on the state & local polities. 

Heck, here are some close to your neck of the woods that indicate demographic change is an elephant in the room:
http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Illegal-immigrants-may-be-majority-at-Harris-1699591.php
http://www.portfolio.com/industry-news/health-care/2009/11/20/illegal-immigrants-cost-local-hospitals-while-feds-avoid-issue/

Also, nice cheapening of the word "racist."

It was directed at long eyes and his constant noise about "culture" and any other little buzz words he likes to toss around.
Your points about anchor babies and illegal immigrant expense isn't lost on me and is one I agree with.  Along with the liberal policies that pander to groups solely based upon their ethnicity and heritage. 
Long eyes doesn't bother making those points....he just jumps in with his double speak and round about ways of saying things.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Brrlgrrl

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2012, 05:58:08 PM »
As a resident of California, I am interested in seeing how this all plays out. 
Amid the city worker unions wanting to stop nearby Vallejo filing for bankruptcy in 2008, Vallejo finally became fiscally solvent in 2011. 
According to an article in the San Francisco Chronicle: "Declaring bankruptcy gave the city protection from creditors and allowed it to renegotiate its employee contracts. Among other changes, city staffers now contribute more to their health insurance, new firefighters have lower pension plans, and the fire department no longer has minimum staffing requirements."

I certainly do not think bankruptcy is the answer to all of Stockton and Vallejo's financial problems, merely the result of the bigger problem of Keynesian economics.  Vallejo blamed the "housing boom" for all their financial woes which is simply another example of failed Keynesian economics. 

Stockton and Vallejo should be allowed to fail.  Bailing them out only prolongs the inevitable.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2012, 09:24:10 AM »
And speaking of Stockton, CA:

Hello,

This letter will definitely be surprise to you but be rest assured that it’s not SCAM of any kind… rather we urge you to STOP sending MONEY to Africa in other to receive your Payment. In case if anybody ask you to do so, please kindly report the person to the appropriate authority (www.fbi.gov).

Meanwhile, my name is Mr. Frank M Cook from Bank Of America Stockton, CA- USA, I wish to notify you that we have actually been authorized by the World Bank, and the governing body of the monetary unit of IMF to effect your overdue compensation payment though ATM CARD without delay.

As instructed by the aforementioned authorities, we are to pay 100 Nigerian Scam victims $1,000, 000 .00 ( One Million United States Dollars) each. You are listed and approved in the payment schedule for this payment as one of the beneficiaries to be paid this amount as compensation. As a result of this laudable recommendations, it is imperative to bring to your notice that during the official meetings held at Washington DC, it was alarmed so much by the rest of the world in the meetings on the lose of funds by various foreigners to the scams artists syndicates operating in all over the world today. In other to redeem the good image our relationship with African Countries, the New President of Economic Community of West African States has agreed with United States Government, World Bank and International Financial Bodies to ordered the payment of $1,000,000 .00 each to the affected victims in pursuance with the U.N. recommendations.

This was resolved in a meeting held between World Bank , United Nations , Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Authorities and Officials of United States Government in Washington DC last week, as a condition from the International Monetary Fund to support Asia Countries , Canada , European Union (EU) and United States of America in receiving total debt cancellation or forgiveness from the International Financial Bodies.

However, as per the instruction given by the authorities, recipients are to visit Bank Of America Stockton, CA- USA and sign for the documents and pick up your card with all the documents that covered it.

Alternatively, if for any reason, you cannot travel down to our office here in California, then you are advise to pay $74.99 and our delivery agent can come along with the documents for you to sign and hand over your ATM Card to you safely.

Please If this option is suitable for you then get back to me as soon as possible so that I will email you the account details which you will use to transfer the $74.99.00 so that our agent will move immediately to meet with you and hand over your package Card to you.

*Mind you this is the ONLY payment you have to make to receive your ATM Card, please kindly report immediately if anyone should ask you to pay more than $74.99 or extra fees...And this fee is refundable, should incase your Card is not delivered within 2 business days, then kindly report to this office asap, so that your fund would be refunded.

Please inform us of your decision, ASAP .

To avoid impostors, we hereby issued you our code of conduct, which is (Atm-660) so you have to indicate this code when contacting the Card Center by using it as your subject.

Please note that a copy of this letter has been sent to above authorities as proof that you have been notified for immediate delivery of your ATM Card and if you fail to respond on time then this institution will not be held responsible for your ATM Card anymore because your payment file would be canceled and returned back to World Bank as unclaimed Card.

Thanks for banking with the Bank of America, while we look forward to serving you better.

Mr. Frank M Cook,
ATM Master Card Delivering Department.
Bank Of America Stockton, CA- USA
Office Line: 209-227-0347 (9Am - 5Pm)
 Fax : 209-644-7697

frankfharacelis100@bankofamerica.com
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2012, 04:42:55 PM »
It was directed at long eyes and his constant noise about "culture" and any other little buzz words he likes to toss around.
Your points about anchor babies and illegal immigrant expense isn't lost on me and is one I agree with.  Along with the liberal policies that pander to groups solely based upon their ethnicity and heritage. 
Long eyes doesn't bother making those points....he just jumps in with his double speak and round about ways of saying things.

[gilda_radner]Never mind.[/gilda_radner]
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2012, 07:21:47 PM »
Y'all can make pissant comments about VDH all you want, but he writes about changes that I have seen my own self, i
You summed it up pretty well here.  You chose a reference that agrees totally with your quaint perspective.

The truth is that people like you, long eyes, and VDH are taking the easy way out. You rage against imaginary forces (communists, illegals from whatever nation is trendy at the moment.)
At the end of the day, all of your hurr-durring  won't have done an ounce of good.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2012, 09:52:52 PM »
Yeah, stockton is worse than some other parts of california and always has been.  It's not seen as a great place to live (a lot like Modesto).

Like I said, it's still better than when I was a kid in the 80s.  Not sure how the "cultural" change is bad in that respect.  

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2012, 11:21:39 PM »
You summed it up pretty well here.  You chose a reference that agrees totally with your quaint perspective.

The truth is that people like you, long eyes, and VDH are taking the easy way out. You rage against imaginary forces (communists, illegals from whatever nation is trendy at the moment.)
At the end of the day, all of your hurr-durring  won't have done an ounce of good.

Ah, wisdom from the ivory tower, where complete unfamiliarity with reality on the ground is waved away as easily as any other inconvenient facts.  "Well, first I'll assume I have a can opener..."

My wife works at a hospital where "imaginary forces" grunt out nigh on 10,000 anchor babies per year on the backs of local taxpayers.  The same hospital spends millions saving them after these imaginary forces shoot each other up, drive drunk into bridge abutments, of don't strap their kiddo down in a car seat and the tyke goes ballistic head-first out the windshield and into a persistent vegetative state.  Approximately 35%+ of the local metro gov't school district is filled up with illegals and those same anchor babies. 

These "imaginary forces" have a real effect on the cost of gov't and the burden taxpayers must lift.  I would be one of those taxpayers and I am not going to shut up because some twits living a clue-free existence outside the southwest can't see past their nose.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2012, 12:18:40 AM »
Yeah, stockton is worse than some other parts of california and always has been.  It's not seen as a great place to live (a lot like Modesto).

Like I said, it's still better than when I was a kid in the 80s.  Not sure how the "cultural" change is bad in that respect. 

Do you have data supporting your claim of "historically low crime levels"?
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2012, 01:54:27 AM »
[relevant post]    
So, what actually happens happens when a city declares bankruptcy?

[/relevant post
Ah, wisdom from the ivory tower, where complete unfamiliarity with reality on the ground is waved away as easily as any other inconvenient facts.  "Well, first I'll assume I have a can opener..."My wife works at a hospital where "imaginary forces" grunt out nigh on 10,00 anchor babies per year on the backs of local taxpayers.  The same hospital spends millions saving them after these imaginary forces shoot each other up, drive drunk into bridge abutments, of don't strap their kiddo down in a car seat and the tyke goes ballistic head-first out the windshield and into a persistent vegetative state.  Approximately 35%+ of the local metro gov't school district is filled up with illegals and those same anchor babies.  
These "imaginary forces" have a real effect on the cost of gov't and the burden taxpayers must lift.  I would be one of those taxpayers and I am not going to shut up because some twits living a clue-free existence outside the southwest can't see past their nose.
OK, let me get this straight. You're saying that illegals, that do undoubtedly cause a burden on taxpayers, were a major contributing factor in a city of 292,000 getting to the point of declaring bankruptcy?
(Inb4 you call a strawman)
I'm sure Thomas Nast would agree with you, were he here.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2012, 11:55:15 AM »

It's there, find it yourself.  If you don't understand, YET, the impact of changing demographics on California--the amount budgeted for illegal aliens at all levels of California government might be one clue for you--I can't help you.  If you lived here you'd understand that California politics is controlled by a Mexicanist lobby in Sacramento and the public sector unions--which, by the way, are heavily minority-influenced--and that is why the GOP here has become impotent.

Anyone who calls it the way it is in America today is called a racist.  But, hey, sticks and stones, bro', sticks and stones...
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2012, 11:59:32 AM »
Your points about anchor babies and illegal immigrant expense isn't lost on me and is one I agree with.  Along with the liberal policies that pander to groups solely based upon their ethnicity and heritage.  

Please.  I'm either using double-speak and roundabout speech or, rather that, as I suspect, I'm instead being all too clear and blunt in ways you find uncomfortable?  Which is it?  I suspect you have a problem with the latter, which is why you call me--dishonoring the rules of this forum, by the way--a racist.  I am anything but, just a realist about what is going on culturally.  If you understand the significance of the term you understand that you can't understand these problems without examining a lot of different factors.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 12:42:21 PM by longeyes »
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2012, 12:04:32 PM »

Your self-description as a "Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism" is all too apt.  I imagine that's intended somehow to be funny.  I make EXACTLY the points you refer to here and have for years now.  That you don't like where I see the country heading unless we create a serious mass movement that unites those of us who care about our Founding values--and those indeed transcend race and ethnicity--is just another symptom of your intemperance.  You don't like me.  Who gives a damn, bro'?  I avoid responding personally unless personally attacked.  It's the classy way to comport oneself.  You should try applying these rules on this forum and stop calling names.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2012, 12:06:40 PM »

The easy way out is not to see things as they are.  Where we go from there is the hard way.  As for imaginary forces, I would not include hard leftist and illegal aliens in either of those groups.  You do? 
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2012, 12:09:13 PM »
[relevant post]    
So, what actually happens happens when a city declares bankruptcy?

[/relevant postOK, let me get this straight. You're saying that illegals, that do undoubtedly cause a burden on taxpayers, were a major contributing factor in a city of 292,000 getting to the point of declaring bankruptcy?
(Inb4 you call a strawman)
I'm sure Thomas Nast would agree with you, were he here.

I live in Los Angeles.  Why don't you check the amount this city and county pay out in toto to illegal aliens and their offspring--the numbers are available--and compare those numbers to our continuing city and country deficits.  Be sure to count education, welfare, and health services.  You may be in for a shock.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2012, 12:35:24 PM »
"I taught classics for one year as a visiting professor" now makes you "classics professor" for life?

I think you'd better re-visit his C.V., Micro.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2012, 01:44:04 PM »
Your self-description as a "Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism" is all too apt.  I imagine that's intended somehow to be funny.  I make EXACTLY the points you refer to here and have for years now.  That you don't like where I see the country heading unless we create a serious mass movement that unites those of us who care about our Founding values--and those indeed transcend race and ethnicity--is just another symptom of your intemperance.  You don't like me.  Who gives a damn, bro'?  I avoid responding personally unless personally attacked.  It's the classy way to comport oneself.  You should try applying these rules on this forum and stop calling names.

Maybe I'm not smart enough to get it, but your posts quite often come across as if your problem is people who are different from you based on ethnicity.  If I'm off base then say so....or, better yet, stop being so damn ambiguous all the time.
JD

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2012, 02:04:06 PM »
I'm not being ambiguous.  I personally have no problem with "ethnicity," but then I take people one at a time and don't view them as members of a "class."  I deal with race and ethnicity by seeing past it.  Unfortunately many do not.  And that is my point.  We've discussed tribalism many times on this forum.  My comments are aimed at group-think, which is all too often these days based on race and ethnicity.  Whites are guilty of it too, but they don't have the full force of the Federal government or the many special interest groups on the Left behind them.  In politics we are seeing our politics re-shaped by ethnic and racial interests, preferences, and enclaves where what counts is nothing more than "helping one's own and sticking with one's own."  This, unfortunately, is especially true in California.  You can witness what I'm talking about with the recent decisions about car impounding in Los Angeles; those decisions are rooted in creating a special legal class above and outside the law (illegal aliens, mostly from Mexico).  It's wrong and this kind of lawlessness, this kind of rogue governmental activity is going to sink what's left of the Republic.  We have a lot of politicians who care more about "their own" than anything else and certainly more than they care about the people at large, as a whole.  I lament the fact that the Left is determined to make everything in American politics about race, ethnicity, class, and gender and to utterly ignore individual liberties, but that is the way it is and we'd best understand it and try to combat it. 
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2012, 02:08:04 PM »
"I taught classics for one year as a visiting professor" now makes you "classics professor" for life?

from wikipedia:

Hanson, who is of Swedish descent, grew up on a family farm at Selma, in the San Joaquin Valley of California. His mother was a lawyer and judge, his father an educator and college administrator. Hanson's father and uncle played college football at the College of the Pacific under Amos Alonzo Stagg.[3] Along with his older brother Nils and fraternal twin Alfred, Hanson attended public schools and graduated from Selma High School. Hanson received his B.A. from the University of California, Santa Cruz in 1975[4] and his Ph.D. in classics from Stanford University in 1980. He is a Protestant Christian.[5]
Hanson is currently a Senior Fellow at the Hoover Institution and Fellow in California Studies at the Claremont Institute. Until recently,[when?] he was professor at California State University, Fresno, where he began teaching in 1984, having created the classics program at that institution.
In 1991 Hanson was awarded an American Philological Association's Excellence in Teaching Award, which is awarded to undergraduate teachers of Greek and Latin. He has been a visiting professor of classics at Stanford University (1991–92), National Endowment for the Humanities fellow at the Center for Advanced Studies in the Behavioral Sciences, Stanford, California (1992–93), as well as holding the visiting Shifrin Chair of Military History at the U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, Maryland (2002–03). He was a visiting professor at Hillsdale College in 2004, 2006, 2007, and 2012.[6]
Hanson writes two weekly columns, one for National Review and one syndicated by Tribune Media Services, and has been published in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Commentary, American Heritage, City Journal, The American Spectator, Policy Review, the Claremont Review of Books, The New Criterion, and The Weekly Standard, among other publications. In 2006, he started blogging at PJ Media. In 2007, he was awarded the National Humanities Medal by President George W. Bush.
Many of Hanson's readers refer to him by his initials, "VDH".
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2012, 02:10:36 PM »
I'm not being ambiguous.  I personally have no problem with "ethnicity," but then I take people one at a time and don't view them as members of a "class."  I deal with race and ethnicity by seeing past it.  Unfortunately many do not.  And that is my point.  We've discussed tribalism many times on this forum.  My comments are aimed at group-think, which is all too often these days based on race and ethnicity.  Whites are guilty of it too, but they don't have the full force of the Federal government or the many special interest groups on the Left behind them.  In politics we are seeing our politics re-shaped by ethnic and racial interests, preferences, and enclaves where what counts is nothing more than "helping one's own and sticking with one's own."  This, unfortunately, is especially true in California.  You can witness what I'm talking about with the recent decisions about car impounding in Los Angeles; those decisions are rooted in creating a special legal class above and outside the law (illegal aliens, mostly from Mexico).  It's wrong and this kind of lawlessness, this kind of rogue governmental activity is going to sink what's left of the Republic.  We have a lot of politicians who care more about "their own" than anything else and certainly more than they care about the people at large, as a whole.  I lament the fact that the Left is determined to make everything in American politics about race, ethnicity, class, and gender and to utterly ignore individual liberties, but that is the way it is and we'd best understand it and try to combat it. 

Thank you for breaking down your points on it and I apologize for the "racist tendencies" jab then. 
JD

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2012, 03:00:58 PM »
Appreciated, thanks. 

This is a excellent forum with a lot of valuable contributors, people of good faith and serious intelligence.  We should all take advantage of the opportunity to sharpen our thoughts and test our positions.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2012, 03:16:27 PM »

How does lawlessness and destruction of the republic translate to lower crime rates, which is what you have???

The worst things about California have nothing to do with illegals - the roads are crap, and the economy is in the tank.  Neither of those is controlled by illegal immigrants.

There's this fantasy that illegals are out there grabbing all the resources with government help.  There is not a shred of evidence to support it. 

Listening to Spanish on the street and looking at signs in Spanish doesn't violate anyone's rights.  Yet that seems to be what most of these gripes boil down to.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."