Author Topic: Corned beef?  (Read 5695 times)

Jim147

• friends
Corned beef?
« on: March 21, 2012, 12:18:57 PM »
I had a couple guys stay in the cabin last week. They grabbed a brisket out of the deep freeze and then left it in my refrigerator.

I was wondering what to do with it, I love brisket but I'm not a corn beef and cabbage guy, when I noticed the best by date. 03-03-2009.  :O

It looks good in the bag with all the juices and spices in it but I'm not sure if I want to cook it.

What do you think? Anyone want to come over for some sammiches?

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

HankB

• friend
Re: Corned beef?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 12:51:13 PM »
The "best by" date probably was based on refrigeration, not freezing. Something solidly frozen a long time would still be safe to eat (I remember a story about people dining on mammoth or mastodon recovered from a glacier) but it might lose a bit of flavor and texture.

Still, I don't believe I've ever knowingly eaten something that was out of date by over 3 years . . . and I'm not interested in participating in the experiment now.

Be sure to report on how it turned out. (If you can.  ;) )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 12:59:41 PM »
Pressure cook it, then turn it into corned beef hash.

You'll never notice the toxins as they slowly dissolve your....

wait...

it will be fine.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 01:07:08 PM »
In soviet russia, scientists eat permafrost mastodon
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 01:29:10 PM »
I had a couple guys stay in the cabin last week. They grabbed a brisket out of the deep freeze and then left it in my refrigerator.

I was wondering what to do with it, I love brisket but I'm not a corn beef and cabbage guy, when I noticed the best by date. 03-03-2009.  :O

It looks good in the bag with all the juices and spices in it but I'm not sure if I want to cook it.

What do you think? Anyone want to come over for some sammiches?

jim

Rueben.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 02:09:27 PM »
In soviet russia, scientists eat permafrost mastodon
Best food in Gulag!
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 06:43:25 PM »
In soviet russia, permafrost mastodon eat scientists
FTFY  =D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 08:17:48 PM »
Corned beef hash.  The only contribution Yankees have made to the nutritional lexicon of breakfast.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 08:38:00 PM »
Corned beef (if it's really cured) would probably have been fine for three years in the fridge.  It should be fine after being hard frozen.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 08:58:27 PM »
I think I'll check the ingredient label and see if I want to cook it up.

jim

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 09:04:05 PM »
I like Mike Irwin's idea.

Hash with rough chopped Corned beef and potatoes cut about 3/8" cubed is awesome!!

Get a nice brown on the potatoes first, and dump in the CB.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 09:48:58 PM »
A REALLY good variation on corned beef hash that they used to make at my hunting camp was basic corned beef and potatos, but with lots of chopped sauerkraut thrown in with the potatoes.

I could go for some of that right now...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 09:59:49 PM »
A REALLY good variation on corned beef hash that they used to make at my hunting camp was basic corned beef and potatos, but with lots of chopped sauerkraut thrown in with the potatoes.

Oh god...I want this....

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 10:36:32 PM »
Oh god...I want this....

Too bad you don't live in an extremely German area.  Would it be rubbing it in to tell you I can't throw a rock without hitting three places that serve sauerkraut?  And fresh pretty much six out of seven days?

Mike's "variation" is pretty standard fair around here.  There's a diner down the street that can serve it 24/7. In fairly massive portions for a reasonable rate. 

mmm, taste that nice corned beef, with lightly fried potatos, and crisp sharp sauerkraut. Can't you just smell it?  Driving you slowly mad?

Think I might go out and try it now. 

=D
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 10:48:30 PM »
Ditto what Hutch says....................chris3

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 12:02:16 AM »
I've eaten a 3 year old frozen steak, it tasted fine.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 12:06:24 AM »
Corned beef and beer at jims this weekend.

The hospital is a bit of a drive but I'm sure it will be fine.

jim

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 10:17:35 AM »
A slab of cured beef that has been frozen?  Sort of a belt & suspenders approach to food preservation.

If it has been frozen those years, I bet the corned beef is good to go. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 10:22:18 AM »
It was 2 years ago I finally had my corned beef epiphany.  I had thought corned beef was always that canned abomination you get in a cheap restaurant or the grocery store.  Ordered corned beef at little cafe here in town and it was actual chunks of corned beef with breakfast potatoes with onions and peppers.  It was amazing.  It is too salty for me to eat on a routine basis, but every once in a while!

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 10:33:48 AM »
Too bad you don't live in an extremely German area.  Would it be rubbing it in to tell you I can't throw a rock without hitting three places that serve sauerkraut?  And fresh pretty much six out of seven days?

Mike's "variation" is pretty standard fair around here.  There's a diner down the street that can serve it 24/7. In fairly massive portions for a reasonable rate. 

mmm, taste that nice corned beef, with lightly fried potatos, and crisp sharp sauerkraut. Can't you just smell it?  Driving you slowly mad?

Think I might go out and try it now. 

=D

Smartazz plick!
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 11:12:26 AM »

I have some of that as leftovers in my fridge right now.  May have that for lunch today...

Chris

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 12:06:16 PM »
My corned beef hash recipe is cooked corn beef, onions and cubed potatoes.  I cook it until crisp, and I recently discovered that it is greatly improved with a few splashes of Worcestershire sauce added during the last stages of cooking.  I have been wondering about tossing some bacon in there as well.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 02:19:45 PM »
properly cured beef should not need refrigeration for some time, but todays "corned beef" may not be prepared for storage, but for taste.  i don't know, but they do put enough salt into it.

the best corned beef i've had was at a church's st patty's diner.  when i asked what was different they said it had been broiled!  however, when i suggested this approach to the local butcher, her thought was that it would be too tough done that way.  maybe they boiled it first, and finished it off in the broiler?

make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Re: Corned beef?
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 06:56:15 PM »
properly cured beef should not need refrigeration for some time, but todays "corned beef" may not be prepared for storage, but for taste.  i don't know, but they do put enough salt into it.

the best corned beef i've had was at a church's st patty's diner.  when i asked what was different they said it had been broiled!  however, when i suggested this approach to the local butcher, her thought was that it would be too tough done that way.  maybe they boiled it first, and finished it off in the broiler?
not an uncommon method. Boil, but for as little as half the normal time. Then broiled, grill, pan, etc.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2012, 06:59:02 PM »
I use my pressure cooker.

50 minutes and it's perfectly done.