Author Topic: What's new with you?  (Read 14205 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: What's new with you?
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2012, 09:39:58 PM »
Some of you have probably already seen this on facebook, but I spend a few hours today installing a cupholder on my lawnmower.  =)

Other then that, changed the oil on my motorcycle.

Oh, discovered a wookpecker had put about a 3" diameter hole in the side of my house.  Caught him in the act too.  If I wasn't in city limits, I would have shot him.  This is the second time this has happened this year, color me white hot angry.  :mad:

rcnixon

• friend
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2012, 09:41:58 PM »
Well, after retiring on a buyout from my company last July, I'm still looking for work.  I too have gotten my ham station back on the air.  It's a 1982 vintage, all Drake 7-line with the grounding and antenna all done per the NEC.  I've gotten the (relatively) new deck wired for power.  The Mrs. and I moved our daughter from Raleigh to the lower east side of Manhattan last weekend; she is going to make a run-up at the modelling business and get a job for the in-between-sessions.  I'm a Jersey boy and the Mrs. is a fourth-generation Manhattan native, so we know a little bit about the city.  We moved south in '92 and have no inclination to go back for any reason what so ever.  I do miss the museums though; everything from the Met and MOMA to the Intrepid with the Museum of Natural History in between.

I guess I've been keeping busy.

Russ

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2012, 09:47:04 PM »
Nick, woodpecker(s) hammering on your house is a bad sign.  Generally they are going after something burrowing in the wood.  So you might want to see what they are trying to eat.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2012, 10:48:39 PM »

Last night, I helped friends welcome the spring equinox with a bonfire centered in their own miniature version of Stonehenge.

That wouldn't have been in the Eagle Ridge area of NW Illinois, would it?

A few weeks ago as i was getting thoroughly lost finding my way out of there, I noted that someone had their own miniature Stonehenge on top of a hill.  The area is mostly weekend villas for Chicagoons, and anyone who can afford a place there can afford to spend money on all sorts of weird frivolities.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2012, 08:00:52 AM »
Oh, discovered a wookpecker had put about a 3" diameter hole in the side of my house.  Caught him in the act too.  If I wasn't in city limits, I would have shot him.  This is the second time this has happened this year, color me white hot angry.

I was talking to a friend of mine this weekend who had the same problem last year. The woodpeckers were poking the knots out of his cedar siding, enlarging the holes, and building nests in the sides of his house.

I won't get into the legalities or illegalities of how he dealt with the problem, but I think I remember him mentioning the words 'mousetrap' 'woodpecker suet' and 'screw' in a single sentence, but not necessarily in that order.  ;)
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

grampster

• friend
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2012, 02:16:18 PM »
i thought peckerwoods only lived in Alabama...Oh, wait...you said woodpecker.  Never mind.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2012, 01:34:04 PM »
What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas, for good or ill.

Congrats on inbound kiddo!

May the separation be swift and as pain-free as possible.

Just got done with winter term; 3.46 gpa for a 3.24 overall. Dual-enrolled at Linn-Benton CC and Oregon State, first OSU classes start next week. Got rid of "Louise," our '92 Dodge Dynasty that was on its last legs, replaced her with a '01 Chevy Cadaverlier. No more rattles!

APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2012, 04:23:09 PM »
Some of you have probably already seen this on facebook, but I spend a few hours today installing a cupholder on my lawnmower.  =)

Other then that, changed the oil on my motorcycle.

Oh, discovered a wookpecker had put about a 3" diameter hole in the side of my house.  Caught him in the act too.  If I wasn't in city limits, I would have shot him.  This is the second time this has happened this year, color me white hot angry.  :mad:

Nice cupholder.  Now just need a long straw and you are all set.

Pellet gun for woodpecker problem.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2012, 01:33:29 AM »
Woodpecker drumming season coming up... April-ish.  They drum on the building rain gutters and downspouts.  Protected species.  This protectionist crap is getting out of hand.

That is all.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2012, 01:56:19 AM »
Woodpecker drumming season coming up... April-ish.  They drum on the building rain gutters and downspouts.  Protected species.  This protectionist crap is getting out of hand.

That is all.

If they ain't got little trauma plates duct taped on, then they ain't what I'd call "protected".   [ar15]

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2012, 01:29:17 PM »
What's new with me...

I got a B in a class I was concerned about, which means I have fulfilled all my Master's degree class requirements.  [ar15]

Providing I stick to this summer's research schedule and everything goes well, I take my last 4 thesis credits next fall, defend my thesis around November, and graduate with my M.S. in electrical engineering in December.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 11:04:33 PM by cosine »
Andy

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2012, 06:06:59 PM »
Way to go Cosine!
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2012, 06:48:59 PM »
Brand new baby girl as of a couple weeks ago. :D

Selling everything in sight to fund a little side business project.

Snagged a couple cases of really good 7.62x39, pretty sure I'm now legally obligated to get something to shoot it...

Reviews coming up at work, feeling anxious about that. On the advice of a trusted friend going to see a doc about anxiety etc issues.

Have a deal of repairs to do around the house, and once that's all squared away I want to finally get some chickens and a garden going. Then we'll probably move... ;)

In all, sleep deprived, annoyed I'm still fighting the issues I had from Iraq/Marine Corps, worried about job and house, and ridiculously happy in spite of it all because of a certain tiny person...

Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2012, 09:08:01 PM »
What's new with me...

I got a B in a class I was concerned about, which means I have fulfilled all my Master's degree class requirements.  [ar15]

Providing I stick to this summer's research schedule and everything goes well, I take my last 4 thesis credit next fall, defend my thesis around November, and graduate with my M.S. in electrical engineering in December.

Great timing, Wal-Mart always hires seasonal help that time of year.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2012, 11:52:23 PM »
Congratulations Cosine & Balog!!!
 =D =) =D
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2012, 07:42:17 AM »
Well done, gentlemen.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.