Author Topic: Android apps?  (Read 2159 times)

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
Android apps?
« on: March 27, 2012, 05:46:30 PM »
So, I bought myself a smart phone last Friday. Any useful apps I should consider downloading?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Hutch

• friend
Re: Android apps?
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 07:21:15 PM »
Shop savvy.  Take picture of a barcode, and see what price others are offering that item for.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 08:59:58 PM »
Hmm were to start.
My all time favorite is TuneInRadio  *eta it's an app for playing streaming radio stations worldwide, they are broken up in genre or station or location. i.e. Talk-Conservative-then a list of all the shows available and the stations they are playing on with the amount of time left.  Catch your favorite talk show host anytime you want as long as they are on the air SOMEWHERE**
Although they pissed me off with one update I had to go hunt down the .apk for the release prior to that, to get back to where I love it. I'm not sure if they caved on all the complaints they got with that update and made the appropriate changes since I've not updated it since then.  
Word to the wise updates are not always a good thing. So if you find you like an app check into the changes made before automatically updating. Which means you should shut off auto updates.

AlarmDroid by Fabian is another favorite.  It's a fully customizable alarm app that allows for multiple alarms with spoken text that can read you the weather and time while playing an mp3 etc.

TeslaLED is cool if your phone has an led flash.  Primarly it's a flashlight app, but can also blink your led in morse code strobe and a few other things.

DolphinHD as a replacement browser

GoogleSky if your a stargazer

InstantHeartRateMonitor if your phone has an LED flash.  It can read your heartrate. Handy if your in poor health and need to monitor or if your a healthnut and like to regulate it.

mVideoPlayer for watching videos  (I use Aimersoft's video converter for making my videos playable on my droid)

dropbox is a must as it's easy to throw files onto your phone that way.
along with
Astro filemanager

Soundhound is cool for identifying music

Tankhero a very addictive battle tank game (I paid for the full version it was so fun)

Finally- Tasker!  If you are a tech savy person and want to get the absolute most out of your android it's worth the $6 hands down.   Look it up to learn more about it. Not for the newbs though.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 09:09:36 PM »
Avast, Lookout is also good.
Amazon (several different ones actually...) if you are into Amazon they have apps for different functions.
Android Assistant, help to manage the thing. App monster as well.
Congress, gives info on congress and upcoming festivities.
Angry Birds of course.
Dolphin Browser HD, much better than the stock internet browsers
If you facebook, the facebook app is handy.
Flashlight app is nifty/useful especially if your phone has a flash camera.
Juice Defender, helps keep your battery longer by helping to manage power usage.
LOL Droid. If you like LOL Cats, Very Demotivational, etc. this app is great
If you will use it as an MP3 player, I like MixZing
Netflix if you have an account and want to stream movies.
Shazam, hear a song and like it? Shazam will tell you the title, artist, etc.
Tapatalk, useful for forums. APS is on tapatalk
The Federalist Papers
US Constitution
The Weather Channel
KnotsGuide
Army Survival Manual

Also check out for your bank or credit cards if you feel so inclined. Many have apps. Also if you can find an app to do something through it rather than the browser, like tapatalk for forums, I find it much better.

Basically play around with it if anything else comes to mind you would like. Odds are there is an app for it, and on a lot of things there are several so you can play with them and go with what you like best. Also most anything that comes in an app will be better than what probably is on the phone (like the browser)
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 01:43:47 AM »
Google Voice frickin' rocks on Android.  Set it all up, and you get transcripts of voicemails texted and/or emailed to you, (your choice) an easy do-not-disturb option for calls, and even the ability to have certain contacts in your list get the tritone-and-"the number you have dialed is not available, please check the listing and try again."

Bonus; you can text via the GV web interface from your computer, so you don't have to use the phone keyboard on long text conversations.  Also, texts sent from the phone with GV will go out via WiFi when it's available, so you can text from places where you might not be able to get a cellular data connection.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 09:22:29 AM »
Geospatial

c:geo – Free, pretty good

Geocaching – Paid, but extremely well written. Use c:geo if you rarely cache, but if you’re a regular geocacher, buy this.

Sensors -

Tricorder – Free, uses virtually all of the sensors built into an Android phone

Utilities -

SuperBox – Multipurpose utility, I use it mainly for quickly checking my battery and moving apps to the SD card

MyBookDroid – You can use it for many purposes, but I use it to quickly scan/catalog my book collection

WordPress – Bit obvious, this.

ConnectBot – SSH client, tiny letters but handy for rebooting a server or restarting a service

ColorNote – Best notepad app I’ve found thus far

ElectroDroid – Multipurpose electronics utility, has all kinds of reference material

Diaster Alerts – Good way to check on world wide alerts of bad things

How To Tie a Tie – I’m not much of a tie person, so this is surprisingly handy

KnotsGuide – Very handy

Net Scan – Works alright, scans a wifi network

Net Swiss Tool – Various tools that are common on OS’s (ping, tracert, etc)

Wifi Analyzer – Has a handful of utilities for scanning wifi networks

SSHTunnel – If you are using public Wifi, you want to secure your traffic. This is the best way of doing so.

Where’s My Droid – Handy for “Where did I leave my phone” situations

Entertainment

Amazon Kindle – eBook reader. I just use it for free classics and reading books from Baen

Slacker – Internet radio

Khan Academy – Educational classes on just about anything
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 10:57:34 AM »
Geiger Counter.

(put some black electrical tape over your camera lens, which isn't a bad idea anyway, save for when you're using it, and any radiation that still gets through the tap is particles, not light, and will trip pixels in the CMOS/CCD chip, and the app counts them)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rdklein.radioactivity&feature=search_result

Cool for Uranium glass, antique Fiestaware, granite countertops, radium dial clocks in antique stores etc.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rdklein.radioactivitylt&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLnJka2xlaW4ucmFkaW9hY3Rpdml0eWx0Il0.
I promise not to duck.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 11:00:22 AM »
Nice list. I've finally decided on a smartphone and will be going with an Android.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 11:12:14 AM »
Geiger Counter.

(put some black electrical tape over your camera lens, which isn't a bad idea anyway, save for when you're using it, and any radiation that still gets through the tap is particles, not light, and will trip pixels in the CMOS/CCD chip, and the app counts them)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rdklein.radioactivity&feature=search_result

Cool for Uranium glass, antique Fiestaware, granite countertops, radium dial clocks in antique stores etc.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rdklein.radioactivitylt&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLnJka2xlaW4ucmFkaW9hY3Rpdml0eWx0Il0.
Dude. That is freaking awesome.
Thanks for all the suggestions! =)
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 11:15:47 AM »
There"s also an "official" Android thread somewhere around here.

Shooter - ballistics
Strelok - ballistics
Shot Timer - shot timer
Smart Tools - Protractor, compass, distance measuring, sound and vibration
Shazam - figure out what music you're listening to and buy it
Orux Maps - excellent mapping and GPS with no network needed
ConvertDroid - unit converter
Kayak - airfare finder

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 01:03:40 PM »
Good thread.  I just replaced my Droid 2 with a Samsung Stratosphere and haven't finished setting up all my apps yet.  Things I reinstalled so far:

Wikidroid - handy app for searching/reading Wikipedia.
ColorNote - best app I've found for making notes / lists.
CraigsNotifica - lets you set up searches for Craigslist that automatically scan at intervals and alerts you when they make a hit.'
Dolphin Browser HD - still the best Android browser. 
Easy Calculator - I like this much more than the built in Android calculator, but find the one that works best for you.
Engadget - news reader for Engadget
Google News -
Chomp SMS - Highly customizable texting app.
Shazam - identifies songs.
TeslaLED - flashlight app
The Weather Channel
The Whip - just for fun
WeatherBug
WiFi Manager - primarily because it lets me stick a widget on my desktop to toggle WiFi on and off.
Battery Widget - lets me put a widget readout on my home that displays current charge
Draw Free and Words With Friends.  I play these games with my wife & stepdaughters.

There will be more as I remember I need them or discover them.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Snowdog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 09:57:34 AM »
Netflix...

... and an extended battery.

purequackery

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 05:55:28 PM »
Unbelievable.  Nobody has mentioned Google Authenticator.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.authenticator2

It's not limited to android, and not limited to google accounts.
http://code.google.com/p/google-authenticator/
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.  —Bob Newhart

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 06:08:28 PM »
I just installed another app that is very non-flashy but one of those "I'll be glad I installed it if the need arises" things.

AppNotifier.   It sits quietly on your phone and then emails you any time a new app is installed.  Ideally it should be sending these notifications to an email address that is *not* tied to the phone at all. 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fr.chronosweb.android.appnotifier
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln