Author Topic: Sales of M1's from South Korea Permitted  (Read 7975 times)

Waitone

• friend
Sales of M1's from South Korea Permitted
« on: April 01, 2012, 02:52:39 PM »
but the M1 Carbines remained verboten.  The most recent example of our president straddling a fence when he finds himself out of line with votes.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2012/01/116_103154.html
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Sales of M1's from South Korea Permitted
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 03:44:06 PM »
I am curious what condition these will be in and what price?  Will they be good rifles or just opportunities to pick up cheap receivers and parts?  I can see a cheaper rifle with the investment in springs and a barrel might be pretty cool.  Somehow I see these being way overpriced.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 04:02:35 PM »
These will be CMP rifles?

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 04:24:40 PM »
These will be CMP rifles?

From what the CMP says, no.  These will be done via more traditional importers - assuming it really happens at all.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 04:27:49 PM by 41magsnub »

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 10:17:28 PM »
Be great if you want to re-finish, re-barrel and upgrade, guessing that there will be few jewels in there. I may get two or 3 just to keep me from working on valuable ones.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 11:15:52 AM »
would these likely be 30-06, or .308?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 12:16:36 PM »
would these likely be 30-06, or .308?

Guessing by all of the surplus .30-06 available from Korea, I'd guess they are still chambered in -06.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 02:32:48 PM »
Was this an April 1st?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 03:14:26 PM »
Was this an April 1st?

Nope.  However, AFAIK, the only source on this is that Korea Times article from January.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 10:39:45 AM »
I read something just the other day about this.  My understanding is that .gov agreed to re-import the Garands, but not the M-1 Carbines because the Carbines have a detachable box magazine capable of accepting multiple rounds.   

:facepalm:
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 11:00:18 AM »
Just think..  you could maybe get a beat up neglected Garand with Century Arms roughly electro penciled on the receiver.
<---glass is half empty kind of guy today

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 12:13:02 PM »
I read something just the other day about this.  My understanding is that .gov agreed to re-import the Garands, but not the M-1 Carbines because the Carbines have a detachable box magazine capable of accepting multiple rounds.   

:facepalm:
And since the Garand uses a .30-'06 round, which is significantly more potent than the .30 Carbine round, our vaunted government overseers aren't afraid of it.  [tinfoil] ;/
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 05:23:16 PM »
Just think..  you could maybe get a beat up neglected Garand with Century Arms roughly electro penciled on the receiver.
<---glass is half empty kind of guy today

Did that once.  Gun was so sloppily put together that I had to put in 21 MOA of windage adjustment from the center of the sight in order to get on paper.

Sold it to a guy with full disclosure, he was a gunsmith and wanted a project gun.  Fortunately I was able to sell it only losing $50-100...

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 05:44:25 PM »
Did that once.  Gun was so sloppily put together that I had to put in 21 MOA of windage adjustment from the center of the sight in order to get on paper.

Sold it to a guy with full disclosure, he was a gunsmith and wanted a project gun.  Fortunately I was able to sell it only losing $50-100...

Ever hear what happened to it?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 09:00:08 PM »
Nope. Once it was out of my hands, it was "good riddance. " I was really pissed at the gun shop that sold it to me.  It was marked imported by CAI. When I asked what that stood for, the shop owner said he didn't know. And I thought all was well.  I mean who could screw up a garand!? At that time, I did not yet know that CAI stood not only for Century Arms,  but also stands for "can't assemble it."

Well after the first time I took it out and my bullet hit 5+ inches to the right of my point of aim, at 25 yards, that was my first clue that there might be a problem....

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 09:08:35 PM »
Well after the first time I took it out and my bullet hit 5+ inches to the right of my point of aim, at 25 yards, that was my first clue that there might be a problem....
That is not necessarily a problem. You simply need to loosen the front sight screw and move the front sight over a bit to the right, then re-tighten screw.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 01:38:39 PM »
but the M1 Carbines remained verboten.

Hmm, detachable mags are too much for civilians. We just ain't profeshunal enough...
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2012, 03:43:23 PM »
Hmm, detachable mags are too much for civilians. We just ain't profeshunal enough...

Toooooo menny booolitts....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 09:39:35 AM »
That is not necessarily a problem. You simply need to loosen the front sight screw and move the front sight over a bit to the right, then re-tighten screw.

Yeah, when I told the guy I sold it to about the issues, he looked at the sights pretty closely...  Said to him it looked like the sights were pretty much perfectly centered on the barrel and receiver.  I supposed that it doesn't take much sight movement at the muzzle to throw shots off that far....  But he was willing to buy it, and so I saved a couple hundred more bucks up and got a CMP Garand instead.  And she's a dream to shoot.  :P

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 02:09:31 PM »
Yeah, when I told the guy I sold it to about the issues, he looked at the sights pretty closely...  Said to him it looked like the sights were pretty much perfectly centered on the barrel and receiver.  I supposed that it doesn't take much sight movement at the muzzle to throw shots off that far....  But he was willing to buy it, and so I saved a couple hundred more bucks up and got a CMP Garand instead.  And she's a dream to shoot.

I was taking my two sighters during a match- the first was dead on, the second wasn't on the paper.
The front sight fell off on the next shot.

I since learned to mark the zero on my rear and FRONT sight with nail polish.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2012, 03:59:30 PM »
I've seen South Korean M1 Garands.

"Rode Hard And Put Away Wet" would be an understatement with respect to those relics.

Great if you want a restoration project that may require a new barrel, bolt, gas cylinder, and oprod.

Not so great if you're looking for a good, serviceable shooter that can keep 8 rounds hitting the broadside of a barn from inside...  =(
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2012, 04:08:25 PM »
Y u guys all so racists aginst korae?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2012, 11:43:33 PM »
I since learned to mark the zero on my rear and FRONT sight with nail polish

???
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2012, 10:27:10 AM »
If both parts can move its likely smart to mark the zero point on both of them.
Look, tiny text!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2012, 11:54:23 AM »
I've seen South Korean M1 Garands.

"Rode Hard And Put Away Wet" would be an understatement with respect to those relics.

Great if you want a restoration project that may require a new barrel, bolt, gas cylinder, and oprod.

Not so great if you're looking for a good, serviceable shooter that can keep 8 rounds hitting the broadside of a barn from inside...  =(

Unless I'm mistaken, these were never put into service and have been in storage.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!