Author Topic: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame  (Read 5649 times)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
« on: April 09, 2012, 04:12:38 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/green-day-induct-guns-n-roses-rock-hall-194001821.html

CLEVELAND (AP) — Green Day will welcome fellow hard rockers Guns N' Roses into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Never been there, not going to go.

All of the cheesy bands who have been inducted, and they have never considered Rush!?

Classic rock is not classic without Rush.

What a load of crappola.

Phooey!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 08:10:11 PM by Jamie B »
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Rock and ROll Hall of Fame
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 05:12:32 PM »
Cheesy bands like Green Day?  ;/

I think Rush has been kept out because they sound too much like Air Supply.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 05:47:33 PM »
And the pot stirring negativity continues......
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 06:10:54 PM »
Green Day had their day. They were one of the essential SoCal punk bands from the mid 90's. They do, IMHO, belong in the Rock HOF.

Gun's and Rose's, on the other hand  ??? That is less... Impressive.

Rush should be in there, just don't tell my dad you consider them Classic Rock. He gets crotchity when any band from after the mid 70's gets called "classic" since that means he's old.  :laugh:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 06:26:14 PM »
The first time you hear one of your favorite songs from your high school years and you realize you're on the classic rock station ... that's a special moment.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 06:35:20 PM »
The first time you hear one of your favorite songs from your high school years and you realize you're on the classic rock station ... that's a special moment.

The local station does the "classic five at five" and they're within my life time, to stuff I remember (and liked)
I was somewhat irrate.  :lol:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 06:58:54 PM »

They'd have to be doing Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons to capture my early high school years. ;)

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 07:28:25 PM »
I think you're getting into the golden oldies at that point. :angel:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 07:50:27 PM »
And the pot stirring negativity continues......

Glad you like it. Do you enjoy it as much as you like men who sound like women when they sing?

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 08:09:16 PM »
Glad you like it. Do you enjoy it as much as you like men who sound like women when they sing?
Not even when it is you.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 08:38:33 PM »
I can't wait until they induct the Jonas Brothers.....

;/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 09:30:49 PM »
I can't wait until they induct the Jonas Brothers.....

;/

Along with Hannah Montana............

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 10:16:34 PM »
I've been to the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame. I was underwhelmed, to put it nicely. There are a lot of significant rock and roll bands which have not yet been inducted. When I was there I couldn't believe Chicago (seriously!) wasn't in the hall of fame. They have a few neat items in the museum (I was excited to see Eric Clapton's Martin 000-42 in the museum) but all in all I was not impressed.
Andy

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 10:40:00 PM »
Cheesy bands like Green Day?  ;/

I think Rush has been kept out because they sound too much like Air Supply.

What are you smoking?

This sounds nothing like Air Supply: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAvQSkK8Z8U

« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 10:43:58 PM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 10:48:32 PM »
Rush?
meh.

Now as far as bands that should be in the RRHoF....

GRAND FUNK RAILROAD!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8MYsii4DZY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7B5jXYRy3Q

can I get a witness?
7-11 was a part time job.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 12:33:37 AM »
What are you smoking?

This sounds nothing like Air Supply: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAvQSkK8Z8U

It sounds just as effeminate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lE6Htee0sA

I should apologize to Air Supply, though. I don't think their vocals are screechy. That chick from Rush sounds like she's mad about the toilet seat being up or something.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 12:57:24 AM by fistulllllllllll »

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 06:02:18 AM »
And it continues to stir the pot like an angry child.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 09:30:11 AM »
Angry or not, the child has some valid points regarding the listenability of RUSH.

If I may opine, I find Rush to be nothing more than overproduced power pop. 
Heavy, hostess twinkee establishment bullcrap with an incorrigible rhythm section.
Neither original nor groundbreaking - Musically a mixture of Genisis and Journey, with a big drum set and a Rickenbacker 4 string guitar.
While their first album rocked, hard, Fly by Night was just okay, and the band became untrustworthy when  a 30+ year old started on about teen-age alienation in Tom Sawyer.

Recall the first recorded utterances of the term Rock n Roll - A blues slang for grinding the nasties.  The birth of Rock and Roll as music and its continued health depends on revolution against established normal society, and as society changes, so must the music evolve.  Thus the need for the genre to reinvent itself every ten years through psychedelic, punk, hair metal, grunge, etc.   Try to encapsulate and preserve the music and it turns into Mick Jagger singing "Stray Cat Blues" at age 70. "Preserved" or "Classic" rock is nothing more than our new Lawrence Welk.

Not saying GnR really is HoF material either, heck, but what the heck is the RRHoF anyway-  Real Rock and Rollers wouldn't attend - it's a wax museum for baby boomers. 
7-11 was a part time job.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 09:44:50 AM »
I like Rush in small doses. They have a tinny, synthesized sound that doesn't sit right with me. As far as H of F question, Geddy Lee and Slash both belong. Their respective band mates, not so much. Slash, despite his appearance, is actually a very approachable, well spoken, highly intelligent guy.
Geddy Lee's bass playing is excellent.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 09:51:04 AM »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 12:01:49 PM »
And it continues to stir the pot like an angry child.

Meh. Sometimes you like a band, and others ridicule that band. No need to dramatize the experience.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 12:09:19 PM by fistulllllllllll »

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 01:21:32 PM »

Meh. Sometimes you like a band, and others ridicule that band. No need to dramatize the experience.
Don't make me bring your mother into this.........

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 01:43:16 PM »
They'd have to be doing Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons to capture my early high school years. ;) 

You young'uns with all this new fangled music . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7226RHt0fI
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2012, 02:39:16 PM »
I like Rush in small doses. They have a tinny, synthesized sound that doesn't sit right with me. As far as H of F question, Geddy Lee and Slash both belong. Their respective band mates, not so much. Slash, despite his appearance, is actually a very approachable, well spoken, highly intelligent guy.
Geddy Lee's bass playing is excellent.

geddy lee is an outstanding bass player, but alex lifeson, and neil peart easily held their own.  in fact i have always considered neil to be one of the best hard rock drummers of all time, not to mention he wrote almost all of their lyrics. alex was underated imo because he was mostly playing the rythym section to geddy's lead bass.  i can understand some people's criticism of geddy's shrill voice, but i feel it fits the band.  listen to alex's solo at around 3:20 and the really tasty drums in this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnxkfLe4G74&feature=fvwrel

as far as them being a pop band, i never considered them to be one, although they do have a few pop songs.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2