Author Topic: Off The Grid  (Read 6088 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Off The Grid
« on: April 13, 2012, 12:51:05 PM »
Okay, which one are you Tallpine? :P  :laugh:

I wish the photographer would have posted some commentary with the photographs. I'd like to know geographic locations and backstory.

http://www.ericvalli.com/index.php?/stories/off-the-grid/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Off The Grid
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 01:07:15 PM »
"to not be a part of problem anymore
I spent the last few years with four of them
striving for harmony with nature "

...  Gorram hippies can ruin any good idea, can't they?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 01:07:27 PM »
So in that very first picture, is that guy wearing a Snuggie in the canoe?

The later pictures look as if they were taken on the set of 'Mad Max beyond Thunderdome'.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 01:22:51 PM »
Personally, I'm more of the mindset to take every last modern convenience, and just figure out a way to make it infrastructure independent.

Interesting pics, but I felt as though I could smell them right through my screen.
I promise not to duck.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 01:37:41 PM »
Those pix made me think of Swamp People   meet Clan of the Cave Bear.

Last picture in the OP's link - between pop coolers in a local store - was interesting, with the lion, sable, and other mounts atop the coolers.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 01:41:26 PM »

Funny thing is, off grid living will never be as friendly to the environment as grid living due to economies of scale and efficiency.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 02:33:45 PM »
At least the Santa look a like has guns...

I'd be interested if the photog ever publishes about the experience, some of those folks look like they're interesting.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 02:41:39 PM »
I wish ...  =(

Not for any care about the "environment" but just to be Independent.

Long years ago I was "off-grid" just by necessity.  Propane lamp and milk jugs of cold water from the creek in the ice box.  Nobody much around to smell me in those days either  :P

We bought this place already set up "normal" but I wanted to start from scratch.

There's another guy in the neighborhood that has rain catchment and solar panels designed into the house that he built himself.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 02:52:08 PM »
Nasty hippies. 
Modern convienence is the evolution of the species.  Obviously some of it is triviality, but our ability to out think a problem and devise mechanical solutions is why we don't walk barefoot through the woods and live in huts.
Those people aren't living off the grid, they are living a de-evolved lifestyle.
Living off the grid is accessing the technological advances of modern man independantly of the modern infrastructure.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 02:59:21 PM »
That guy has some amazing photos on the rest of the site. The Shadow Hunters and Honey Hunters sets are  :O
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 03:14:01 PM »
Living off the grid is accessing the technological advances of modern man independantly of the modern infrastructure.

That is how I would live off grid. Solar panels, fuel cells, etc. You wouldn't catch me running around barefoot in animal skins, but I found the photos very interesting. They're the opening page to a story I would really like to hear, regardless of if I agree with their lifestyle or not.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 03:16:35 PM »
The bareback bare legs women makes me itchy just looking at it. There is a reason people wear pants to ride. Uncomfortable.

I figured the point of living off the grid is to get away from people and the stupid crap large groups of people come up with.
I don't see the point of doing so if the lifestyle "off grid" is more uncomfortable then the dealing with stupid people crap.

But, hey, to each their own, right?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 03:23:47 PM »
I don't see the point of doing so if the lifestyle "off grid" is more uncomfortable then the dealing with stupid people crap.

Right now I can't imagine anything much worse than the stupid people crap :(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 03:35:51 PM »
Well, they definitely look as dirty as I would expect someone living on the edge of civilization in the 1800s would look.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 03:42:06 PM »
Well, they definitely look as dirty as I would expect someone living on the edge of civilization in the 1800s would look.

Not as "dirty" as some corporate mis-managers can be :(

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 05:32:35 PM »
Those people aren't living off the grid, they are living a de-evolved lifestyle.

Jamis nailed it.  I don't see how one could claim their lifestyle is somehow preferable or 'enlightened'.  What are the advantages again?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 05:34:04 PM »
A good aquaintance of mine and his dear wife live about as off the grid as you can without doing a complete back-to-nature thing.  He might enjoy playing mountain man for a few days, but she is not going to give up creature comforts, not one bit!

Solar, plus the water wheel for electricity.  Wireless because even if they were willing to pay for it nobody is going to run wires (let alone cable) that far.  I'm pretty sure that he is running all his vehicles (2 cars, motorcycle for him & scooter for her plus assorted farm vehicles) on either diesel or gasoline just because he would never waste any ethyl alcohol he might create as a motor fuel.  He farms, hunts, and has dabbled in aquaculture.  All while holding down several independent gigs as a videographer and lobbyist as well as being an agent provocatuer.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 06:39:29 PM »
Nasty hippies. 
Modern convienence is the evolution of the species.  Obviously some of it is triviality, but our ability to out think a problem and devise mechanical solutions is why we don't walk barefoot through the woods and live in huts.

You give them too much credit. You can't assume that these pictures are representative of day-to-day life for these people. It's entirely likely that those folks in the last half of the gallery are just doing some sort of short-term survival camping, to practice and learn new (ancient) skills. Nothing wrong with that. They probably retreat to an easier (more modern) lifestyle after playing Mud People.

They're probably better than this guy.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/17/mystery-mountain-man-to-utah-cabin-owner-get-off-my-mountain/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 09:53:11 PM »
They probably retreat to an easier (more modern) lifestyle after playing Mud People.

Yeah, the clan of the cave bear guys looked like they hadn't shaved in a week or two, not like they had been growing facial hair for years.

Funny thing is, off grid living will never be as friendly to the environment as grid living due to economies of scale and efficiency.

Depends on how you want to live off the grid. If you're talking battery and solar and modern conveniences you're probably right. On the other hand going to a mid 19th century style of life you would be pretty green.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 10:49:44 PM »
Seeing the Clan of the Cave Bear pictures made me think of bugs, lice, ticks, fleas, etc, etc.  Yeah, not a very comfortable life. 

That said, it would be interesting to learn the skills necessary to do it, but I doubt I want to live that way. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2012, 11:09:28 PM »
Actually, with a little application of modern knowledge common pests like lice and fleas can be dealt with. Pyrethrum is a natural pesticide and the aren't too hard to come by naturally.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2012, 12:30:18 AM »
I do like the idea of living as off the grid as comfortably and conveniently possible. I'd like to be as self-sufficient as possible in producing food, power, etc. But I will not give up hot water, a washing machine, refrigeration, or my computer*.

Fascinating pictures though and I'd like to hear the stories behind them too.

* For the purpose of writing since I type ten times faster than I can write by hand, and for the purpose of storing information.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2012, 09:45:35 AM »
i am envious of those who have nothing to do but fight with the environment for survival.  there is something about a more primitive lifestyle that makes my soul glow.  that bieng said, i might change my mind after a year of it.  =)   i am certain, of all the creature comforts, the one luxury i do relish is a daily hot shower.  other than that i could live in a cave.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2012, 02:29:25 AM »
I'm kinda' fond of soft pillows too.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2012, 11:18:01 AM »
My high school ambition was to head off into the mountains with a horse or two, a rifle, and all the other outfit and just disappear.

Now I'm a little sorry that I didn't go through with it.

It wasn't until decades later that I heard about Claude Dallas.