Author Topic: Alan Dershowitz says Zimmerman charge a no-go.  (Read 34368 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Alan Dershowitz says Zimmerman charge a no-go.
« on: April 13, 2012, 01:29:36 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Alan Dershowitz says Zimmerman charge a no-go.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 01:45:01 PM »

*shrug*

Politics demands a sacrifice.  Guilty or not, the politicians need to throw a victim to the mobs.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 01:52:02 PM »
*shrug*

Politics demands a sacrifice.  Guilty or not, the politicians need to throw a victim to the mobs.

This.

Zimmerman's chances for a fair trial ended when the race pimps showed up and took over the media coverage.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 01:58:47 PM »
He calls it unethical and irresponsible, and says it's too thin to get past a judge.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/04/harvard-professor-alan-dershowitz-says-zimmerman-arrest-affidavit-is-irresponsible-and-unethical-video/

Perhaps he needs DeSelby to staighten him out ...  :cool:
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 02:06:48 PM »
I don't know anything other than what I read in the papers and on the internet, but this smelled like politics the minute I read the story.

I hope his attorney doesn't cut a deal.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 02:17:17 PM »
I don't know anything other than what I read in the papers and on the internet, but this smelled like politics the minute I read the story.

I hope his attorney doesn't cut a deal.

His attorney is working pro-bono, I believe. That suggests to me he recognizes a railroading attempt and will not be likely to cut a deal.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 03:12:23 PM »
You don't think it could just mean he wants a book deal?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 03:22:07 PM »
You don't think it could just mean he wants a book deal?

Winning an actual trial as opposed to pleading out would increase the value of that deal even if his interest is purely pecuniary.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 03:30:24 PM »
Winning an actual trial as opposed to pleading out would increase the value of that deal even if his interest is purely pecuniary.

A plea bargain wouldn't make for an entertaining read. It's a "I took the shortcut", makes for lackluster sales unless the shortcut ends horrifically.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 04:29:49 PM »
He has already been tried, convicted and darn near exicuted in the court of public opinion. At this point the trial is anti climaxtic. Regardless of that decision, the public has branded him the villian.

Innocent or guilty, the outcome is pretty much the same wiether he ends up wearing an orange jumpsuit or not.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 04:33:57 PM »
He has already been tried, convicted and darn near exicuted in the court of public opinion. At this point the trial is anti climaxtic. Regardless of that decision, the public has branded him the villian.

You think the general public is against Zimmerman?

birdman

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 04:36:09 PM »
Change of venue....to say...North central Idaho?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 04:37:52 PM »
You think the general public is against Zimmerman?

From what i've seen and heard. Admitadly, I live in a pretty liberal town.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 07:35:19 PM »
I think the reporting has been biased sufficiently (how many people know that NBC edited out the 911 dispatcher's question about race?) that more people than not think he's guilty of something more than self defense.

Again, I don't know anything but the actual facts I can find, but I'd love to see the race-baiters have this shoved up their rectal cavities by a not guilty verdict.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 07:46:54 PM »
Given my new policy of avoiding people, I've talked about this with one person, outside of APS. He was not ready to hang Zimmerman.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 09:57:24 PM »
It wouldn't matter now if verifiable hi-res video of Martin throwing grenades, RPG rounds and swinging a machete was to come out. Zimmerman is going down.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 10:19:46 PM »
Help me here.

Israeli media reported that Zimmerman stated he tried to 'detain' Martin.

Is that actually something that Zimmerman said, or is it a translation failure"?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 10:43:01 PM »
Help me here.

Is that actually something that Zimmerman said, or is it a translation failure"?

Translation failure, as far as I can tell. Unless something very new just came out, there is no evidence as to whether or not Zimmerman attempted to detain Martin.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 11:08:42 PM »
I think the court of public opinion all depends on where you live and what the self defense laws are like or if they exist.  I imagine a lot of people just don't understand self defense in some places.   

That said, I guess I get a lot of my news from more conservative outlets, but most of the people out to hang Zimmerman fall flat on facts if anyone is of a mind to pay attention to that.  Or they trot out facts that have been discredited since about the 2nd day of this story.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2012, 01:18:44 AM »
Well, I'll be. Here are some more gun forum cranks (besides Al Dershowitz) that refuse to acknowledge the air-tight case against Zimmerman.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/04/12/150481261/prosecutions-choice-of-charge-complicates-case-against-zimmerman

Also, did anyone else observe a change in the way media drones referred to GZ, after the charges were filed? They started describing him as being the guy who "admitted" shooting Martin, which I don't think they were usually saying before. I heard one of them use the phrase "the confessed gunman."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2012, 01:41:18 AM »
Help me here.

BBC claimed SYG gave gun owners the right to pursue people, and they didn't need a translator.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2012, 03:07:49 AM »
Ah, the baiting continues - but in this case for no reason, as I've already commeneted that murder two seemed a stretch. See previous locked threads where I quoted both statutes and said as much.

Dershowitz appears not to realise that the charge already got through a judge on a probable cause standard.. The question now is whether the evidence supports the allegations, which he wrote three days ago is certainly possible for manslaughter, although he thinks we need to wait for the facts at trial.  

Dershowitz's comment is here:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/alan-dershowitz/the-rorschach-facts-in-th_b_1418441.html. I will quote his statements, which, unlike his prediction that the charges wont get past a judge (they already did), make some sense:
Second, On the basis of the evidence currently in the public record, one likely outcome of the case against George Zimmerman is a mixed one: There may be sufficient evidence for a reasonable prosecutor to indict him for manslaughter, but there may also be doubt sufficient for a reasonable jury to acquit him.
Any such predictions should be accepted with an abundance of caution, however, because the evidence known to the special prosecutor, but not to the public, may paint a different picture. It may be stronger or weaker.

Funny how hard we can scream "not enough facts!" when facing an argument we disagree with, and simultaneously declare "innocent!".

« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 03:12:31 AM by De Selby »
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2012, 08:38:14 AM »
. . .  Dershowitz appears not to realise that the charge already got through a judge on a probable cause standard. . . .

Was that judge by any chance Jessica Recksiedler? She just offered to recuse herself because her husband, Jason Ricksiedler, works for the law firm of Mark NeJame, a prominent Orlando attorney who's been sounding off on the Zimmerman case for CNN. (Don't know what NeJame has been saying, since I rarely watch CNN.)

http://www.eurweb.com/2012/04/zimmerman-judge-offers-to-recuse-herself-over-cnn-ties/

A defense request for recusal is likely. Interestingly, Zimmerman's attorney, Mark O'Mara, became Zimmerman's attorney after being recommended by Mark NeJame, who was contacted by Zimmerman's family. 

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Judge-in-George-Zimmerman-case-may-recuse-herself/-/1637132/10705038/-/lg3put/-/index.html

As a matter of interest, I've looked at some other blogs and bulletin boards, and there's a term starting to show up for what's happening to Zimmerman: "Nilfonged" after the infamous prosecutor in the Duke Lacrosse player case.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2012, 09:11:30 AM »
A necessary component of being "Nifonged" is that of a complicit medical examiner who actively suppresses evidence of innocence of the charges.  I've seen  no reports of the local ME diddling evidence.  We may see something of Zimmerman's furtive head gash.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 11:52:17 AM by Waitone »
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

grampster

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2012, 09:45:52 AM »
Every comment I've heard from friends and acquaintances when the subject comes up is that there is not enough information available to make any decision one way or another.  I've even heard that conclusion made by folks I know who are usually tilted in the direction of not being necessarily tolerant of other races.

I find the media presentation, governmental personage remarks, the usual race baiters and celebrity comments to be despicable.  I do not find it odd that those comments come from the left.  People of the conservative persuasion usually seem to reserve judgment.

This incident is another in a long line of tells that show that the fabric of our constitutional republic is being torn apart by neo-liberal emotionalism.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw