Author Topic: Britain's Greatest Enemy  (Read 7233 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Britain's Greatest Enemy
« on: April 16, 2012, 10:35:15 AM »
George Washington.

The National Army Museum conducts a poll asking who is the greatest enemy commander the British have ever faced. 

http://news.yahoo.com/george-washington-voted-britains-greatest-enemy-commander-153037718.html
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Britain's Greatest Enemy
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 10:44:27 AM »
Over Rommel and Bonaparte?

He obviously was more successful than they were, but I'm not sure I'd say he was greater. (Kind of like, although Hannibal lost, I'd say he was very likely the greatest ancient general.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 12:57:24 PM »
None of the five is particularly pleasant ideologically," Hughes added, saying that even Washington was a slave owner whose newly forged country then went on to try to destroy its native population.

What a tool. We really should do a surprise invasion on the UK. You know, bring them democracy by destroying their infrastructure, killing plenty of the locals and installing a puppet government. 

Although honestly, I'd put Rommel as being more personal moral than Washington. But Washington's independence overall goal was better than the Nazi regime Rommel supported, even though Rommel personally loathed it. OTOH, Washington turned into a filthy Hamilton supporter, which damns him quite a bit. Rommel at least went out trying to kill Hitler. Tricky.

Hrm. Need to have a beer and ponder that one.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 01:02:11 PM »
I'd go with bonaparte. If he could have made it over the channel, no more Britain as we know it.

Those wars lasted a long time, plus produced some of Britains greatest hero's, Wellington and Nelson.
A couple generations of men fought napolean and company, not just one.

Plus, he was short and french.  :P
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 01:10:24 PM »
Dependent on our definition of Britain, might not William of Normandy deserve mention? Or perhaps Aulus Plautius? Two guys who, you know, successfully invaded the island?
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 01:13:10 PM »
Dependent on our definition of Britain, might not William of Normandy deserve mention? Or perhaps Aulus Plautius? Two guys who, you know, successfully invaded the island?

Same sort of thing that I was thinking.  Not to mention the Saxons.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 01:15:13 PM »
Same sort of thing that I was thinking.  Not to mention the Saxons.
Sure. Couldn't recall a specific leader, though.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 01:43:23 PM »

The list was limited to the period being displayed in the National Army Museum:

To qualify, each commander had to come from the 17th century onwards – the period covered by the museum's collection – and had to have led an army in the field against the British, thus excluding political enemies, like Adolf Hitler.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/9204961/George-Washington-named-Britains-greatest-ever-foe.html
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 02:01:20 PM »

As the contributations of the romans, the normans and the saxons have become a large part of the modern english idendity, I would say "no".

And if bonaparte HAD managed to conquer and HOLD england, he wouln't count either. They stop being evil when they are also your leaders and your history. (for the most part)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 02:28:52 PM »
The list was limited to the period being displayed in the National Army Museum:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/9204961/George-Washington-named-Britains-greatest-ever-foe.html
Roger. Didn't read full article.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 04:01:41 PM »
Especially if you take into consideration the loss of America as a British colony and the economic impact thereto, as opposed to military successes only against the British, I can see how Washington got the nod. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 04:34:33 PM »
As the contributations of the romans, the normans and the saxons have become a large part of the modern english idendity, I would say "no".

And if bonaparte HAD managed to conquer and HOLD england, he wouln't count either. They stop being evil when they are also your leaders and your history. (for the most part)

So Hitler would be a good guy by now if he had conquered Britain  [popcorn]
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 05:09:27 PM »
I'll put this here since it kinda goes with the theme in this thread (like any thread on APS has a "theme")

Goodbye to my England , So long my old friend
Your days are numbered, being brought to an end

To be Scottish, Irish or Welsh that's fine
But don't say you're English, that's way out of line.
The French and the Germans may call themselves such
So may Norwegians, the Swedes and the Dutch
You can say you are Russian or maybe a Dane
But don't say you're English ever again.

At Broadcasting House the word is taboo
In Brussels it's scrapped, in Parliament too
Even schools are affected. Staff do as they're told
They must not teach children about England of old.

Writers like Shakespeare, Milton and Shaw
The pupils don't learn about them anymore
How about Agincourt, Hastings , Arnhem or Mons ?
When England lost hosts of her very brave sons.

We are not Europeans, how can we be?
Europe is miles away, over the sea
We're the English from England , let's all be proud
Stand up and be counted - Shout it out loud!

Let's tell our Government and Brussels too
We're proud of our heritage and the Red, White and Blue
Fly the flag of Saint George or the Union Jack
SO THATS WHY WE WANT OUR ENGLAND BACK

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 05:29:28 PM »
George Washington.

The National Army Museum conducts a poll asking who is the greatest enemy commander the British have ever faced.  

http://news.yahoo.com/george-washington-voted-britains-greatest-enemy-commander-153037718.html

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 05:36:46 PM »

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 05:44:57 PM »
One would think that their greatest enemy was one who wanted to conquer and crush them, raping and pillaging their women and lands.

instead they chose a guy who led the rebellion of those who wanted to be left alone, or at least have some modicum of self determination.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 06:12:58 PM »
So Hitler would be a good guy by now if he had conquered Britain  [popcorn]

First, I had added in () "for the most part" and second, it's kinda one of those who wrote the history books things.

But, had he won, eventually, to those he had conquered, he probably would have been, depending on how well they were treated and how "germanized" their culture became.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 06:21:06 PM »
None of the five is particularly pleasant ideologically," Hughes added, saying that even Washington was a slave owner whose newly forged country then went on to try to destroy its native population.

What a tool.

Tool is putting it kindly. He ought to know that the Revolution was not fought over the issue of slavery, and the British would not adopt an anti-slavery stance until some decades later. Nor do the British have any room to talk, when it comes to oppressing and killing natives.

Tool, ignorant, misleading, at least two of those apply.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 06:44:16 PM »
Why not Gandhi? He pretty much signalled the end of the Empire.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 08:08:24 PM »
Why not Gandhi? He pretty much signalled the end of the Empire.....

Did not lead on the field of battle.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 08:46:45 PM »
Did not lead on the field of battle.
Technically true for purposes of this assessment, but interesting to ponder in a Bruce Lee "fighting without fighting" sense. The Brit military certainly applied "Rule .303" to plenty of Gandhi's adherents.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 08:51:37 PM »
First, I had added in () "for the most part" and second, it's kinda one of those who wrote the history books things.

But, had he won, eventually, to those he had conquered, he probably would have been, depending on how well they were treated and how "germanized" their culture became.

Funny, the Angles and Saxons were "germans" and a lot of the "Anglish" language consists of german words.  :lol:

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2012, 09:14:38 PM »
Funny, the Angles and Saxons were "germans" and a lot of the "Anglish" language consists of german words.  :lol:

Same source, diffrent evolution of culture. I was speaking of the more modern german culture.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2012, 09:46:20 PM »
I'll put this here since it kinda goes with the theme in this thread (like any thread on APS has a "theme")

I tried to read that to the tune of Walla Walla, but the meter wasn't right. That would have been awesome if it had...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 05:48:44 AM »
The limitations of the poll are vexing. First I'd argue that Rommel and Washington never posed a threat to Britain itself, only its fighting men. Then I'd argue with his micro-managing style Hitler did indeed lead an army against Britain.
 Go pre 17th century? Pick a pillager. Although as previously noted assimilation got us where we are. My solidly English ancestors that came here bore a surname that passes through Ireland but has nordic etymology. Go figger.

Also in the Hitler vein, what of him and Goering and the Battle of Britain? Laid far more waste to the mothership than Rommel.

Another vote for Ghandi, he lost the British a jewel in the crown probably more valuable than those pesky American colonies.

And finally, in my war on appeasing peacenik isolationists, I vote for Neville Chamberlain. >:D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.