Author Topic: Britain's Greatest Enemy  (Read 7232 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Britain's Greatest Enemy
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2012, 07:57:54 AM »
The limitations of the poll are vexing. First I'd argue that Rommel and Washington never posed a threat to Britain itself, only its fighting men.

That is true so long as you believe Britain to only be the island. The poll voters may think the "British Empire" is Britain. Rommel and Washington definitely posed threats to "Britain" if you mean the Empire.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HankB

• friend
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2012, 08:29:43 AM »
Funny, the Angles and Saxons were "germans" and a lot of the "Anglish" language consists of german words.  :lol:
The museum limited the contest to battlefield commanders from the 17th Century onward, the period covered by the museum. So Gandhi and Hitler were both ruled out (didn't lead armies in the field) as were the Romans (too long ago.)

Otherwise the hands-down winner for the enemy of Britain would be the British government itself.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2012, 09:18:03 PM »
Heck, if they're going to put so many stipulations on it.....I'm pretty sure I can rig the survey to prove that the greatest threat to Britain is Dr. Who....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2012, 11:58:01 AM »
I'd go with bonaparte. If he could have made it over the channel, no more Britain as we know it.

Those wars lasted a long time, plus produced some of Britains greatest hero's, Wellington and Nelson.
A couple generations of men fought napolean and company, not just one.

Plus, he was short and french.  :P

Napoleon did lose every time he faced a British army, so its a bit much to say he would have beaten us if he could have got across.
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2012, 01:06:28 PM »
Napoleon did lose every time he faced a British army, so its a bit much to say he would have beaten us if he could have got across.

Waterloo wouldn't have been won if the Prussians hadn't shown up. And it was almost lost because they were late.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2012, 01:08:57 PM »

Now if Washington had come over there, you'd all be speaking English right now.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

grampster

• friend
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2012, 01:20:47 PM »
Conan the Barbarian, by Crom!!
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2012, 03:00:30 PM »

LOL   =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2012, 07:47:20 PM »

If it weren't for a bunch of marines getting drunk in a pub, that might have actually happened...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth