Author Topic: Livestock Farms Should be Superfund Sites  (Read 1183 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Livestock Farms Should be Superfund Sites
« on: June 02, 2006, 05:31:07 AM »
My day for finding news stories that annoy me.

------------------
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,197884,00.html

Does Manure Make a Farm a Superfund Site?

Thursday , June 01, 2006

By Steven Milloy

Environmental activists are teaming up with state attorneys general and trial lawyers to bankrupt the nations livestock farmers  in the name of saving the environment.

If the situation wasnt so serious, it would be hilarious.

The activists  including the Natural Resources Defense Council, Sierra Club, and Union of Concerned Scientists  are trying to convince Congress that the nations farms should be treated as industrial waste sites and therefore subject to severe penalties under the federal Superfund law. Some state attorneys general, supported by trial lawyers, have filed lawsuits toward the same end.

Why? Because, they argue, animal manure is a hazardous substance.

They are now demanding that Congress refuse to clarify that the Superfund law was never intended to apply to natural animal waste. They are claiming  falsely  that without Superfund, animal waste would be unregulated.

The fact is that manure already is heavily regulated under the Clean Water Act, Clean Air Act and other federal and state regulations. They are claiming  falsely  that small family farms wont be affected. The reality is that under Superfund, huge penalties can be levied against small operations and even individuals. Tens of thousands of small family farmers could be affected.

Congress never intended the Superfund law to apply to the nations farms  it was designed to clean up industrial waste sites like Love Canal. But because it did not specifically exempt animal waste, activists are now seizing on this lack of clarity to haul farmers before the courts and apply the draconian penalties permissible under Superfund.

If the activists are successful, farmers could face penalties of many millions of dollars and thousands of small farmers could be forced off their land.

The domestic livestock industry would be driven from this country, the grain industry would be crippled, and farm families and communities would be devastated, Oklahoma Farm Bureau chief Steve Kouplen warned Congress last November.

If animal manure is found to be a hazardous substance under Superfund, then virtually every farm or ranch in the United States could be written off as a toxic Superfund site, says Missouri cattleman Mike John, who is also president of the National Cattlemens Beef Association.

The activists efforts are a deliberate distortion of the law, devised by some local authorities and a small army of trial lawyers seeking large settlements in which they  and the activist groups  would be the chief beneficiaries.

Its simply a shake-down, one dairy farmer told Congress.

It would be a mockery of congressional intent, commented Bob Stallman, head of the American Farm Bureau Federation. He notes that farms and ranches that raise livestock are already among the most regulated business sectors for environmental quality, subject to extensive federal and state laws and regulations.

Farmers are by their nature pro-environment. Healthy crops and livestock depend on a healthy environment. None of this apparently matters to the activists, who may also see manure as a means to gain political sway over farmers.

Given that federal and state environmental regulators are often sympathetic to, if not in outright league with, environmental activists, and that the Superfund law provides regulators with much discretion as to how to identify and manage sites to be cleaned up, treating farms as Superfund sites would essentially provide activists a powerful political weapon to be used against farmers at the activists discretion. Farmers who dont toe the environmentalist line may find their farms declared as Superfund sites.

Congress inadvertently caused this problem in the first place by not exempting animal manure from the original Superfund law. But who could imagine that such an exemption would be necessary?

The good news is that Congress can quickly solve the problem by passing a simple amendment to the Superfund law, clarifying that farm manure is not considered a hazardous substance under the Act. A bipartisan bill to this effect has already been introduced in the House with nearly 160 co-sponsors. A companion bill with bipartisan support is about to be introduced in the Senate.

Congress needs to get this done soon for the sake of this countrys farmers, consumers  who would face escalating food prices and shortages  and just plain common sense. Cattleman Mike John says, Its just plain insulting to suggest naturally occurring manure on our family farm deems us a Superfund site.

Manure, it seems, is the appropriate word for this latest activist initiative.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 05:46:10 AM »
In Michigan, we have the Right to Farm Act.  Exempts farmers from being controlled by government entities.  However, if they are caught polluting, they are subject to the same laws anyone is.  A huge dairy farm was diverting their poop ponds into a local stream and they got caught.  They had to fix it and pay fines.  Fair.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 06:11:54 AM »
Iowa has some of the worse waterways polluted with nitrates in the nation, much of this is tied to large scale farming. IowaDNR has been going after the producers that are allowing run offs to enter the waterways.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 06:40:13 AM »
I don't argue that clear acts of pollution should not be punished. I certainly don't want anyone dumping their livestock's manure on my front lawn. I just think the Superfund status is going a good ways overboard.

And I say that knowing that here in CA, my parents currently benefit from these types of environmental regulations. My dad leases out all his farmland to a local dairy farmer. He gets a 50% premium per acre over what a good many other landowners get from their leasees. Why? Because dairy farmers there are regulated as to how much manure they can "store" on a given parcel of land. Anything over that has to be hauled away as refuse at really, really high rates. An exemption is that they can use the manure as fertilizer (at an allowed "X" tons per acre). It became cheaper for dairy farmers in the area to lease out land where they can grow their own feed, and then use their manure as fertilizer on that land.

Because of the cost benefit of doing so over hauling the stuff away, supply and demand kicked in, and anyone lucky enough to get a dairy farmer to lease their land ends up with "bonus" lease payments thanks to the regulation. Bully for my dad and others like him, but not so good non-dairy farmers trying to make a decent living by expanding their farmland through leasing, or the landowners not lucky enough to hook up with a dairy farmer. I'm not sure it's really "supply and demand" economics when government regulations artificially alter the economic landscape.

I just wonder what would happen to food prices if a Superfund reg kicked in and ALL manure had to be hauled away as HAZMAT, versus even having the limited option of using some of it for fertilizer.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 04:54:24 PM »
Quote from: charby
Iowa has some of the worse waterways polluted with nitrates in the nation, much of this is tied to large scale farming. IowaDNR has been going after the producers that are allowing run offs to enter the waterways.

-C
It would seem that the Iowa DNR is dealing with the problem. I've a sneaking suspicion that to a lesser or greater extent the corrosponding agency in each state does the same thing. I know I read a supposed letter threatening legal action against a landowner in Michigan by the Michigan DEQ for constructing a dam on a stream on his property (the reason it was internet fodder was that it was a beaver dam).

Imagine the legal consequence if small scale nitrate runoff could instigate superfund action - almost every water body in the U.S. has some problem with this from ajoining properties that fertilize their lawns.

Edit I found the thing about the beaver Dam

http://www.getipm.com/personal/dam.htm

1/6/98

David L. Price
District Representative
Land and Water Management Division
Grand Rapids District Office
State Office Bldg., 6th Floor
350 Ottawa, N.W.
Grand Rapids, MI 49503-2341

Dear Mr. Price:

Re: DEQ File No. 97-59-0023; T11N, R10W, Sec 20; Montcalm County

Your certified letter dated 12/17/97 has been handed to me to respond to.  You sent out a great deal of carbon copies to a lot of people, but you neglected to include their addresses.  You will, therefore, have to send them a copy of my response.

First of all, Mr. Ryan DeVries is not the legal landowner and/or contractor at 2088 Dagget, Pierson, Michigan - I am the legal owner and a couple of beavers are in the (State unauthorized) process of constructing and maintaining two wood "debris" dams across the outlet stream of my Spring Pond.  While I did not pay for, nor authorize their dam project, I think they would be highly offended you call their skillful use of natural building materials "debris".  I would like to challenge you to attempt to emulate their dam project any dam time and/or any dam place you choose.  I believe I can safely state there is no dam way you could ever match their dam skills, their dam resourcefulness, their dam ingenuity, their dam persistence, their dam determination and/or their dam work ethic.

As to your dam request the beavers first must fill out a dam permit prior to the start of this type of dam activity, my first dam question to you is: are you trying to discriminate against my Spring Pond  Beavers or do you require all dam beavers throughout this State to conform to said dam request?  If you are not discriminating against these particular beavers, please send me completed copies of all those other applicable beaver dam permits.  Perhaps we will see if there really is a dam violation of Part 301, Inland Lakes and Streams, of the Natural Resource and Environmental Protection Act, Act 451 of the Public Acts of 1994, being sections 324.30101 to 324.30113 of the Michigan Compiled Laws annotated.  My first concern is - aren't the dam beavers entitled to dam legal representation?  The Spring Pond Beavers are financially destitute and are unable to pay for said dam representation - so the State will have to provide them with a dam lawyer.

The Department's dam concern that either one or both of the dams failed during a recent rain event causing dam flooding is proof we should leave the dam Spring Pond Beavers alone rather than harassing them and calling their dam names.  If you want the dam stream "restored" to a dam free-flow condition - contact the dam beavers - but if you are going to arrest them (they obviously did not pay any dam attention to your dam letter -- being unable to read English) - be sure you read them their dam Miranda first.  As for me, I am not going to cause more dam flooding or dam debris jams by interfering with these dam builders.  If you want to hurt these dam beavers - be aware I am sending a copy of your dam letter and this response to PETA.  If your dam Department seriously finds all dams of this nature inherently hazardous and truly will not permit their existence in this dam State - I seriously hope you are not selectively enforcing this dam policy - or once again both I and the Spring Pond Beavers will scream prejudice!

In my humble opinion, the Spring Pond Beavers have a right to build their dam unauthorized dams as long as the sky is blue, the grass is green and water flows downstream.  They have more dam right than I to live and enjoy Spring Pond.  So, as far as I and the beavers are concerned, this dam case can be referred for more dam elevated enforcement action now.  Why wait until 1/31/98?  The Spring Pond Beavers may be under the dam ice then, and there will be no dam way for you or your dam staff to contact/harass them then.

In conclusion, I would like to bring to your attention a real environmental quality (health) problem; bears are actually defecating in our woods.  I definitely believe you should be persecuting the defecating bears and leave the dam beavers alone.   If you are going to investigate the beaver dam, watch your step!  (The bears are not careful where they dump!)

Being unable to comply with your dam request, and being unable to contact you on your dam answering machine, I am sending this response to your dam office.

Sincerely,

Stephen L.Tvedten
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 07:22:13 PM »
Wasn't there a problem with pig farmers and liquid manure entering an estuary on the East Coast that woke the world up to animal waste runoff pollution?  If I remember right, there was an organism that bloomed in the nitrate-rich runoff, and besides killing fish, did horrible things to humans exposed to even the water vapor of the rivers.

I saw it on a television report, fish floating dead with huge lesions, people losing their memory, the organism was called Pfiesteria.  Ick!

http://www.ired.com/news/lieberman/990905.htm
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 07:37:06 PM »
Quote from: Gewehr98
Wasn't there a problem with pig farmers and liquid manure entering an estuary on the East Coast that woke the world up to animal waste runoff pollution?  If I remember right, there was an organism that bloomed in the nitrate-rich runoff, and besides killing fish, did horrible things to humans exposed to even the water vapor of the rivers.

I saw it on a television report, fish floating dead with huge lesions, people losing their memory, the organism was called Pfiesteria.  Ick!

http://www.ired.com/news/lieberman/990905.htm
At this time, it appears that scientists are not sure that Pfiesteria actually made these people ill. Evidence suggests that it did, but I do not believe that this is considered to be conclusive
What is conclusive though, is that increased nitrates cause algae blooms which cause fish kills by depleting oxygen. It would be great if we could convert this negative to a positive by finding a method of re-using 100% of the waste in fertilizer or other methods.

Wasn't it on this site that someone had posted a recent trial of a method of growing a plant used for bio-diesel with sewage runoff?

Edit; I googled the article

Perhaps the technology of the future is in microsizing technology so that it can be used on a smaller scale basis? Would a dairy farmer be willing to lay out a few thousand dollars for a unit that would convert algae from his sludge pond into a couple of gallons of biodiesel a day?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=10381404

NZ firm makes bio-diesel from sewage in world first

By Errol Kiong

A New Zealand company has successfully turned sewage into modern-day gold.

Marlborough-based Aquaflow Bionomic yesterday announced it had produced its first sample of bio-diesel fuel from algae in sewage ponds.

It is believed to be the world's first commercial production of bio-diesel from "wild" algae outside the laboratory - and the company expects to be producing at the rate of at least one million litres of the fuel each year from Blenheim by April.

To date, algae-derived fuel has only been tested under controlled conditions with specially grown algae crops, said spokesman Barrie Leay.

Aquaflow's algae, however, were derived from excess pond discharge from the Marlborough District Council's sewage treatment works. Algae take most chemicals out of sewage, but having too many of them taints the water and produces a foul smell.

Creating fuel from the algae removes the problem while producing useful clean water, said Mr Leay. The clean water can then be used for stock food, irrigation and, if treated properly, for human consumption.

Mr Leay said the process could also benefit dairy farmers and food processors as the algae also thrive in those industries' waste streams.

And unlike some bio-fuel sources which require crops to be specially grown - using more land, fuel, chemicals and fertilisers - the algae already exist extensively.

To get the fuel, the algae are processed into a pulp before lipid oils are extracted to be turned into bio-diesel.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 05:02:37 AM »
Quote from: charby

-C
Would you rather starve to death?
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 04:53:23 AM »
There is a happy medium between posioning the environment and starvation.  People didn't starve before factory farms.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 10:09:31 AM »
"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die to get there."

Folks want cheap food, and don't want to pay enough for it that the farmer or dairyman can readily afford to be super-clean.  They can't afford to pay you or me to take dumptruck loads off to an area where the used grass is usable as fertilizer.

Lots of barren land that would benefit from spraying animal poop on it.  Plow it under and grow crops with higher yields than other lands.  

Some guy bought 90,000 acres west of Sierra Blanca, Texas.  He contracted with New York City for them to railway the dried effluent from primary sewage treatment.  Dry stuff ain't all that odiferous.  He spread it out and plowed it into the ground.  A botanist I know visited the site and pronounced it the best grass he'd seen in all of west Texas.  Really, it's not all that different from what 500 cities do in Texas, spraying secondary treatment sewage onto golf courses and hayfields.  You get return-flow seepage of clean water into aquifers or streams.

As usual, TANSTAAFL.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.