Author Topic: Apparently, I am a minority  (Read 8022 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Apparently, I am a minority
« on: May 01, 2012, 08:09:40 AM »
http://bostonherald.com/news/us_politics/view.bg?articleid=1061128421

Massachusetts Sentate Candidate Elizabeth Warren touted her American Indian heritage in the 1990s and had herself listed in several minority groups. Turns out she is 1/32 Cherokee.

I have FOUR TIMES that amount of Cherokee blood. And all this time, I didn't realize I was a minority! Maybe I can get a gig at Harvard as a "minority professor".
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Apparently, I am a minority
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 08:26:23 AM »
IIRC, you only need something like 1/8th Indian blood to qualify for benefits or some such as an "American Indian".  

While in school in NC, I met an "Indian" who had blond hair and blue eyes.  It's funny to me because my dad's father's family is from a region in NC heavy with Cherokee (the rest of my family is from areas heavy with Tuscarora).  My grandfather claims Indian blood and has many of the physical characteristics of Cherokee Indians (skin tone, hair, lanky limbs, etc).  Even two generations or more separated from that "Indian" blood, I personally look more "Indian" than the guy I mentioned above (I at least have black hair and olive skin).

Anyway, regardless of my ancestors, I would not consider myself "Indian" any more than someone of  Scandinavian descent.  That my great (or great great) grandparents may have had some Indian blood is of no concern to me.

BTW, don't ever tell a Lumbee they're not real Indians, even if the person you're talking to has blue or green eyes.   [popcorn]  I went to school with several, they're very serious about their "heritage".

Edit to add: Pictures of my paternal grandfather's family bear striking resemblance to old pictures of Melungeon families from that region of the US.  My surname appears on a list of Melungeon surnames, but that doesn't mean much as it isn't exactly a rare name.

Edit again to fix my horrible grammar.

Chris
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 08:43:02 AM by mtnbkr »

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 08:39:04 AM »
IIRC, you only need something like 1/8th Indian blood to qualify for benefits or some such as an "American Indian". 

When I worked in the registrar's office in college, I found that an awful lot of folks like me listed their ethnicity as "Native American" - there was a strong positive correlation (anecdotally, at least) with being associated with some minority group and getting financial assistance, even though the scholarship process was supposed to be color blind. (And if a person is BORN here, well, why not?  ;) ) I suspect that someone eventually caught on to this, which is why most forms now list some variation of "Indian" rather than Native American.

And there was at least one dude with light hair and blue eyes who was "African American" . . . he was a naturalized citizen who'd moved to the USA as a baby with his parents from either Rhodesia or South Africa.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 08:47:40 AM »
When I worked in the registrar's office in college, I found that an awful lot of folks like me listed their ethnicity as "Native American" - there was a strong positive correlation (anecdotally, at least) with being associated with some minority group and getting financial assistance, even though the scholarship process was supposed to be color blind. (And if a person is BORN here, well, why not?  ;) ) I suspect that someone eventually caught on to this, which is why most forms now list some variation of "Indian" rather than Native American.

The college I went to was very close to Robeson County, NC, which is where most "Lumbee" Indians live.  Therefore, we had a lot of Lumbees on campus.  Needless to say, they all clung tightly to their "Indian" heritage.

And there was at least one dude with light hair and blue eyes who was "African American" . . . he was a naturalized citizen who'd moved to the USA as a baby with his parents from either Rhodesia or South Africa.
I've known several of that sort.  They typically used the label as a lark though, not seriously considering themselves "African American".

In case you can't tell, I find the subject fascinating.  Coming from an area that most think is distinctly white, black, or native American, it's interesting to note the mixing that goes on, especially when you get deeper into the rural areas or mountain "hollers".

Chris

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 08:54:09 AM »
Being married to a card carrying Cherokee I can attest that there are indeed Blond haired, blue eyed Indians.
Both my daughter and my grand daughter are blond/blue eyed and the grand daughter's paternal DNA source is also genuine  Cherokee.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 09:06:18 AM »
Being married to a card carrying Cherokee I can attest that there are indeed Blond haired, blue eyed Indians.
Both my daughter and my grand daughter are blond/blue eyed and the grand daughter's paternal DNA source is also genuine  Cherokee.

No doubt there.  My contention is that once your non-indian traits become more apparent than your indian traits, it's time to drop the "native" from your label.  Legally, it takes less to qualify as "indian" than it does to qualify as $someotherrace.

Chris

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 09:41:04 AM »
A fair number of Highland Scots married into the Cherokee tribe, and some became chiefs.

The Gaels were considered as "indians" to the British who tried to get rid of all of them.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 09:46:25 AM »
A fair number of Highland Scots married into the Cherokee tribe, and some became chiefs.
Yup, and some of the genesis of groups such as the Lumbee and the more amorphous Melungeons.  The parts of my family that can be traced beyond their Western NC roots come from England and Scotland.  We're a bunch of mutts. :D

The Gaels were considered as "indians" to the British who tried to get rid of all of them.
  They were just continuing the activities started on the other side of the Atlantic. ;)

Chris

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 11:31:54 AM »
I myself am about 1/4 Wannabee   =D

(actually, I think there's a little Fugaree mixed in there too  ;) )
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 12:31:52 PM »

I've got a fair amount of Scot in my ancestry, by way of Ireland. Apparently the English occupation wouldn't even employ the local Irish as labor, and imported Scots to do it instead. They soon tired of the deal and moved on to America.

Although I suspect the Scot ancestry I have is all of the "wanker part" that Ewan McGregor goes on about in that famous rant of his from "Trainspotting".  ;)
I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 01:05:34 PM »
It would appear that most of the rapin' and pillagin' was done by they time my ancestors came over (in the 20's and 30') as I have no Indian/Native American or other blood of the unclean in me.  Just the Half Irish/Half German that I am [/bad Irish/German accents]

:P :P :P
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 01:08:03 PM »

Not possible. Americans are the only group of people to ever move into an area and eradicate those already in place. Other than the Israelis, of course.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 01:09:58 PM »
Apparently the English occupation wouldn't even employ the local Irish as labor, and imported Scots to do it instead.

King James started all that in the very early 1600s

One of my great ... grandfathers was born in Ulster around 1750, and managed to make it over here in time to serve in the Revolutionary Army.  But I'm pretty sure that he was of Scottish rather than Irish background.

The other just seemed to magically appear in South Carolina in the late 1700s.  I suspect there was an interesting story involved.

There was a family rumor that my great-grandfather took a squaw and then abandoned her before marrying Sarah, but I haven't found any evidence of that.  Maybe it was the other way around, since he suddenly and mysteriously died/disappeared  ???

I could possibly have a whole bunch of Blackfoot cousins  :lol:

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 01:33:01 PM »
Lots of idiots try to tout the fact they are 1/32 or 1/64 Cherokee down here. Who gives a rats ass? I probably have way more indian blood than them and I don't give half a *expletive deleted*it. I actually don't care what my ancestory is. I'm American, dammit, and that's good enough.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 01:42:28 PM »
I get twitchy when I hear about Indian blood quotients.  I maintained that database for a tribe up here for several years of who had the proper blood quotients to get per capita payments, healthcare, and etc.  It was by far the most convoluted, poorly written, corrupt, and mean spirited system I've ever seen.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 01:58:47 PM »
Huh ... my wife is at least 1/8th Indian.  She certainly doesn't self-identify that way though.  Her most recent Indian ancestor's name was Amanda Purlina Dosephine Queen Victoria Texas Taylor - sure had a knack for adding in names back then.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 02:10:21 PM »
Generally one has to also have a specific tribal affiliation to claim much in the way of tangible benefits.  I'm 1/16 Cherokee, personally, which was handy for pissing off the kids in school who liked going all "blood purity" about their Jewishness.  People who take pride in being the Other sometimes have a hard time responding to an Otherer Other, no matter how much of a bs pretense it may be.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 02:27:02 PM »
Lots of idiots try to tout the fact they are 1/32 or 1/64 Cherokee down here. Who gives a rats *expletive deleted*? I probably have way more indian blood than them and I don't give half a *expletive deleted*. I actually don't care what my ancestory is. I'm American, dammit, and that's good enough.

These are my feelings exactly. My mom's side is all mutts, Sooner stock out of Oklahoma. There are at least a couple of Indian ancestors on that side but not enough to make a difference. And in any case I relish being part of the melting pot and prefer to identify myself as 100% A-grade American.

I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 03:26:33 PM »
I'm over 1/2 Hungarian, so I'm actually majority minority. I don't think Hungarians count for anything though, because all white people are the same.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 03:48:40 PM »
I'm over 1/2 Hungarian, so I'm actually majority minority. I don't think Hungarians count for anything though, because all white people are the same.

Except for those dirty Irish.

(Not only am I some part Irish, my wife is significant majority Irish.)

Also, not only do none of the different types of white people count, neither do any of the different types of Asians in minority bingo.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 04:07:14 PM »
Except for those dirty Irish.

(Not only am I some part Irish, my wife is significant majority Irish.)

Also, not only do none of the different types of white people count, neither do any of the different types of Asians in minority bingo.

Except for the Chinese who have a superior government to us due to it not being limited by a pesky elected legislature and ancient constitution. If we got rid of those we could really get stuff done for the American people!
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 07:22:52 PM »
It would appear that most of the rapin' and pillagin' was done by they time my ancestors came over (in the 20's and 30') as I have no Indian/Native American or other blood of the unclean in me.  Just the Half Irish/Half German that I am [/bad Irish/German accents]
 :P :P :P

I knew there was a reason we got along so well. I'm a half-breed myself. Half Irish, half German. Which makes me a superior drunk.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2012, 07:34:18 PM »
Generally one has to also have a specific tribal affiliation to claim much in the way of tangible benefits.  I'm 1/16 Cherokee, personally, which was handy for pissing off the kids in school who liked going all "blood purity" about their Jewishness.  People who take pride in being the Other sometimes have a hard time responding to an Otherer Other, no matter how much of a bs pretense it may be.
I am flabbergasted to hear of contemporary Jews using the concept of "blood purity ", given the recent history of that doctrine and Jews.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2012, 11:23:17 PM »
I am flabbergasted to hear of contemporary Jews using the concept of "blood purity ", given the recent history of that doctrine and Jews.

Maimonides trumps Hitler, any day of the week.  Of course, they don't use that particular phrase, but the concept is alive and well in OJ thought, and has been since late-Medieval Iberia gave rise to important Jewish scholarship.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2012, 11:51:52 AM »

It is illegal for me to marry my fiancee in contemporary Israel.

That's all I need to know about this.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner