Author Topic: Employers could save billions by dropping workers from health plans, report show  (Read 9136 times)

dogmush

• friend
Dogmush, why do drug companies sell to other countries at rates that aren't profitable???  I find it hard to believe they're just eating those losses as a charity and making it up on America.  Something tells me there's a commercial reason they sell to countries besides the US...

They're making a profit. I never said they weren't.  But it's a profit made possible because the drug development costs are subsidized by the US market.  

And I know you're American, but you're a non participant in the US healthcare system.  So talking about "Our" system is pretty disingenuous.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Dogmush, why do drug companies sell to other countries at rates that aren't profitable???  I find it hard to believe they're just eating those losses as a charity and making it up on America.  Something tells me there's a commercial reason they sell to countries besides the US...

I'm an American, so that's what I mean by "we."

Yes, the commercial reason is that selling to them covers the cost of manufacturing the drugs. Because they have only a VERY LIMITED TIME to recover the costs of developing the drug, they price far above the perfectly competitive price.

We allow companies and individuals (and not just the EVIL pharmaceutical industry!!) to have a monopoly on their intellectual fruits for a time so that we can encourage people to produce new intellectual works, such as new drugs.

Apparently you believe that drugs are "special" and all the recent new drugs would have been invented without any patent protections.

Or do you believe that patent and copyright are unjust?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

De Selby

• friend
They're making a profit. I never said they weren't.  But it's a profit made possible because the drug development costs are subsidized by the US market.  

And I know you're American, but you're a non participant in the US healthcare system.  So talking about "Our" system is pretty disingenuous.

Well, I was a participant for a long time, and it's still my home - I end up with it whenever I go back, so I feel quite genuine having an opinion about it.

Mak, IP is what makes Roo ster's post off base - the guy with the gun is the US, and if any countries try to copy drugs, it will use the array of IP agreements to ruin them.  The ban on reimportion protects their US prices, it doesn't have anything to do with the threat of cheaper generics.

And yeah, there're patent and copyright protections applicable to the same drugs in all industrialized countries...yet they get lower prices for the same patented drugs.   How's that happen, if the driver if US cost is intellectual property?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Well, I was a participant for a long time, and it's still my home - I end up with it whenever I go back, so I feel quite genuine having an opinion about it.

Mak, IP is what makes Roo ster's post off base - the guy with the gun is the US, and if any countries try to copy drugs, it will use the array of IP agreements to ruin them.  The ban on reimportion protects their US prices, it doesn't have anything to do with the threat of cheaper generics.

And yeah, there're patent and copyright protections applicable to the same drugs in all industrialized countries...yet they get lower prices for the same patented drugs.   How's that happen, if the driver if US cost is intellectual property?

Uh, because you are wrong.

These countries' laws make exceptions for drugs vis a vis IP/patent protection laws.  "Exception" meaning if'n the drug company doesn't sell at the gov't set price or thereabouts, they will do what I wrote.  Because the gov'ts have the guns.  And the USA is not willing to go to (trade) war over the issue.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

De Selby

• friend
Uh, because you are wrong.

These countries' laws make exceptions for drugs vis a vis IP/patent protection laws.  "Exception" meaning if'n the drug company doesn't sell at the gov't set price or thereabouts, they will do what I wrote.  Because the gov'ts have the guns.  And the USA is not willing to go to (trade) war over the issue.

What countries have this system???
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

mtnbkr

• friend
What countries have this system???
I don't recall the exact nation, but one of the African nations did this a few years ago with regards to a certain AIDS drug.  They told the PharmCo to either sell it to them at a specific price point or they'd copy it and give it away. 

Then there's this: http://yaleglobal.yale.edu/content/cheap-aids-drugs-under-threat

In that case, India was working to stem the flow of counterfeit drugs by making it illegal and providing for a royalty to the patent holder as long as they consent to the manufacture of the counterfeit version.

Chris