Author Topic: Can I call America a police state now  (Read 13601 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Can I call America a police state now
« on: May 02, 2012, 11:12:51 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2012/apr/18/tsa-mission-creep-us-police-state

If you don't like, I guess that you always have the right to stay home  :mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Can I call America a police state now
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 11:21:45 AM »
After my experience last week I am with you on this.

The USA is a nascent police state.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 11:53:29 AM »
After my experience last week I am with you on this.

The USA is a nascent police state.

+100000000000000000000000000000000000
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 12:00:50 PM »
I guess I'm just a "Callous Bastard who doesn't care about little old ladies".
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 12:43:02 PM »
I'll go one further and profer that we are no longer a Free country, and haven't been for many years.  Our freedom is a mere illusion.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 12:59:41 PM »
No TSA agent is going to search my car, or get me out of it.

They can call the real cops, and we'll do the whole terry stop thing, but TSA isn't seeing *expletive deleted*ck all of mine outside of an airport.  That's my line in the sand.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 02:08:10 PM »
I'm 200% with you Dogmush.

This is completely unacceptable.

No specific threats or reasons were cited for the raids, as the government no longer even pretends to need any.
Sad, but true.

And why aren't we demanding this end?

America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 02:39:18 PM »
I'll go one further and profer that we are no longer a Free country, and haven't been for many years.  Our freedom is a mere illusion.

Eh. We have some freedoms left, yes. Highly regulated and controlled, of course.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 02:41:24 PM »

What - and let the terrists win  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 03:18:36 PM »
Some of the comments were good too:

All in all, the future doesn't look good for the people of the USA.

I thought widespread gun ownership was meant to prevent government tyranny?

invasive searches at the airport of 'The Land of the Free' is more liable to convince visitors to the country that a better description would be 'The Land of the Irony-Free'?

Why do Americans put up with this?

Funny that since the collapse of totalitarian governments in Eastern Europe that the US has done everything in its power to become one.

It would seem that we're the only ones who choose not to be outraged by our government.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 03:28:16 PM »
Eh. We have some freedoms left, yes. Highly regulated and controlled, of course.

I'm pretty sure that the "highly controlled and regulated" pretty much invalidates the "freedom" part.
Some of the comments were good too:

2nd amendment thing

It would seem that we're the only ones who choose not to be outraged by our government.
:facepalm:

Sad but true.

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 04:00:28 PM »
The Democrats want to disarm us, while the Republicans think that they have us outgunned already  =(

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 04:01:52 PM »

They can call the real cops, and we'll do the whole terry stop thing, but TSA isn't seeing *expletive deleted* all of mine outside of an airport.  That's my line in the sand.

Just make sure you do not point your finger at anyone while standing up for your rights.  "Survey sez" [/Richard Dawson voice] it could get expensive, along with being accused of being all sorts of a bombastic poseur.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 04:06:30 PM »

Because the encroachments have been sooooo gradual.  Some would say calculated to be juuuuust that gradual. 

If you lead people to the stable or the rendering plant slooooowly, they don't notice the smell until they're in them. 

And because there are too many voters who vote with their bellies instead of their brains, and would give up those paltry "freedoms," which cannot be asssigned a dollar value, for the sake of a few glittery pebbles called "safety.".

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 04:10:10 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 04:19:56 PM »
Just make sure you do not point your finger at anyone while standing up for your rights.  "Survey sez" [/Richard Dawson voice] it could get expensive, along with being accused of being all sorts of a bombastic poseur.

stay safe.

If I ever point something it won't be my finger  [ar15]

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 04:44:13 PM »

Because, how exactly does one do that?

Write my congressman; like that will do anything?
Go make a stink, get arrested, spend thousands on legal bills; and still not change anything?
Go toe to toe with them at the checkpoint, get killed; and then they use the incident as the reason for MORE "security"?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 04:45:46 PM »

Go make a stink, get arrested, spend thousands on legal bills; and still not change anything?
Go toe to toe with them at the checkpoint, get killed; and then they use the incident as the reason for MORE "security"?

Don't rush me, I'm still thinking ...  =|

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 04:59:33 PM »

Since they're public employees, who they are should be public record. Create a popular movement that advocates shunning them/shaming them and their families in all aspects of life possible.  Feel bad for spouses or kids? Too bad. In WWII the vast majority of Germans were just 'folks doing their job' and not hard-core foaming the mouth party members either. All the ones we shot were somebody's husband or son. And hell, we bombed the spouses and kids back in their hometowns too. So some ugly public interactions is getting off pretty light IMO.

Trick is getting it to that point. You'd have to work people up to be angry enough to do it, then stick with it.

Passive resistance. Crowd/clog the checkpoints so badly, it shuts down the travel completely, until the .gov folds.

There's more, but this is a public forum, and the APS TOS probably prevents discussing those ideas further anyway.
I promise not to duck.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 05:08:01 PM »

The freedom challenge:

Find one aspect of your life that doesn't have any sort of .gov regulation or interferrence in it.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 05:14:36 PM »
The freedom challenge:

Find one aspect of your life that doesn't have any sort of .gov regulation or interferrence in it.

Lots of things, in rural Montana.  =)

Though it would sorta depend whether you considered something like livestock brand inspections to be "interferrence" considering that it is in place to protect the legitimate owner.

But living in town sucks :(

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2012, 05:16:25 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2012/apr/18/tsa-mission-creep-us-police-state

If you don't like, I guess that you always have the right to stay home  :mad:

Yuo can call it a police state, but you might have federales come calling.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 07:58:12 PM »
The freedom challenge:

I thought I had several, but realized that ignoring .gov regulations don't make them go away.  =|
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2012, 10:01:49 PM »

They can call the real cops, and we'll do the whole terry stop thing, but TSA isn't seeing *expletive deleted* all of mine outside of an airport.  That's my line in the sand.
You can count me in for the same response. Call a real cop and we will talk. Anything more than that and they can talk to my lawyer.
I actually don't have a lawyer but I know one that if I drop his name any cop with in 100 miles should tremble in fear. Or I could mention the superior court judge I know.  =D

Years ago I got pulled over by a park ranger. After I pulled over I looked back and saw it was a jeep Cherokee. WTF cops don't drive them around here. So I drove away. Guy flies up on my tail. I changed lanes and smashed the breaks to fall back and get a look at the car. Thats when I saw the park ranger name on it. I called 911 and pulled into the state police barracks about a mile ahead. They were outside when I pulled in. The SP immediately walked up to the cricket cop and talk. Minute later the ranger drives away. Trooper asks for my license, I hand it over he looks at it and hands it back. Have a nice day. I never did ask what it was about, SP said have a nice day I was out of there.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2012, 10:18:55 PM »
 [tinfoil]
I for one welcome our new Jack Booted Thug Overlords.
 [tinfoil]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2012, 11:07:57 PM »
Liberty is an anachronism in modern America.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.