Author Topic: Can I call America a police state now  (Read 13599 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Can I call America a police state now
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2012, 11:16:50 AM »
But isn't it already a law that you must have identification and be able to prove who you are, at all times?

Not where I live so long as I am not operating a motor vehicle on public roadways.
Giving a false name if questioned by the gestapo police is a different story though.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2012, 11:25:51 AM »
Drive to CA for a visit Rocketman. You must pass through a checkpoint to enter the state. Though on I-5 from your direction it's several miles inside the state line.

But isn't it already a law that you must have identification and be able to prove who you are, at all times?

Yep, been through the CA checkpoints before, though it was many years ago.  Made a few trips down that way when we were just cutting the NE corner on the way over to NV, and IIRC, the checkpoints were closed on a couple of those occasions.

Regarding being required to have ID on you at all times, there was a dustup about that in NV a number of years ago. Discussed here on APS, too, but likely buried way back in the archives.
I routinely go about here without ID, usually when the wifey-poo are out walking or riding our bikes.  There is no requirement to the best of my knowledge.  It wouldn't surprise me if a young copper were to get testy about it, though, if we were stopped for some reason.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2012, 12:37:12 PM »
Really? They can do that?
It would be mighty fun if other states ban an import of Californian produce.

Of course they can! They're the GOVERNMENT. Coming soon to a neighborhood near you.

Regarding being required to have ID on you at all times, there was a dustup about that in NV a number of years ago. Discussed here on APS, too, but likely buried way back in the archives.
I routinely go about here without ID, usually when the wifey-poo are out walking or riding our bikes.  There is no requirement to the best of my knowledge.  It wouldn't surprise me if a young copper were to get testy about it, though, if we were stopped for some reason.

I just recall having a conversation with a cop some years back and he was adamant about the whole "You are required by law to be able to prove who you are and that means having some form of ID on you at all times!" Suppose it could have been a county or state thing though.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2012, 12:46:52 PM »
You can be required to tell them your name and address. (that's what the Nevada case was actually about)  I'm not sure how specific that address has to be, maybe just the name of your town or county.  If you're not driving a motor vehicle on a public roadway, there's no need to have any "papers".
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2012, 01:08:17 PM »
You don't have to carry ID or identify yourself in California, but it probably has a lot to do with the cop that you're talking to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKA3V_vd07c
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2012, 02:43:04 PM »
I don't usually carry ID unless I am going to town.

And I never/rarely have my wallet with me when going on fire calls.

I haven't been pulled over in thirty-plus years.

California is like a Third World Dictatorship, without the ambience and charm of a third world dictatorship.  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin