Author Topic: This "damn Saxon" is pretty disheartened  (Read 4094 times)

Antibubba

• friend
This "damn Saxon" is pretty disheartened
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2006, 03:05:43 AM »
Iain,

If you are reading this, it means you are back at your computer.  Turn it off and go back outside-it's Summer!

You Brits catch so much of the contempt we Yanks are afraid we might have to heap upon ourselves, in time.  It's like watching your brother becoming ill from a genetic disorder.  You think, "Will I get it, too?", and as far as the illness goes, you want to deny the kinship ("Well, he always did take after Mom").  

You're the reflection we see in the mirror, and we don't like what we're seeing.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2006, 08:45:08 AM »
Stand_watie: Preacherman, I'm trying to remember the joke about the Englishman, the Scot and the Irishman in the pub that had flies land in their beer.
An Englishman, a Scot, and an Irishman all walk into the local pub, a rather filthy place that smells of old pipe tobacco and leek soup.  You know the kind.

As they walk back to their table, a few of the local resident fly population make an error and land in their pints.  The Englishman, looking disgusted, turns and heads back to the bar to get a fresh pint.  

The Scot sits down with the Irishman, picks the flies out of the lager, and commences drinking.

The Irishman, however, grabs the fly out of the glass.  He holds it up to eye-level and screams, "SPIT IT UP, YOU DIRTY THEIF!!!" angry

cheesy Cheesy
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2006, 12:14:31 PM »
Quote from: Dionysusigma
Stand_watie: Preacherman, I'm trying to remember the joke about the Englishman, the Scot and the Irishman in the pub that had flies land in their beer.
An Englishman, a Scot, and an Irishman all walk into the local pub, a rather filthy place that smells of old pipe tobacco and leek soup.  You know the kind.

As they walk back to their table, a few of the local resident fly population make an error and land in their pints.  The Englishman, looking disgusted, turns and heads back to the bar to get a fresh pint.  

The Scot sits down with the Irishman, picks the flies out of the lager, and commences drinking.

The Irishman, however, grabs the fly out of the glass.  He holds it up to eye-level and screams, "SPIT IT UP, YOU DIRTY THEIF!!!" angry

cheesy Cheesy
Actually, the way I heard it was the other way around with the Irishman and the Scot Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2006, 12:34:53 PM »
Quote from: Tallpine

cheesy Cheesy
Actually, the way I heard it was the other way around with the Irishman and the Scot Wink
Me too and he said "ye dirrrrrrty barrrrrrrrrstid" with a Sean Connery accent.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2006, 12:46:38 PM »
A Scotsman is taking a British group on a tour of famous Scottish battlefields. At every stop the Scotsman tells the tales of how the British suffered great beatings at each of them with each beating growing succesively worse as the tour went on. Not being able to take it anymore one of the Britishers finally pops up and says, "I say old chap, don't the British ever  manage to win a scuffle or two?" The Scotsman turns to him with a furrowed brow and exclaims, "Not on MY tour they don't!!"

Tongue
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2006, 03:35:44 PM »

cheesy Cheesy
Folks, I've seen him do it.  There's this thing we call a "Dionysusigma Cocktail" that's a pint or so of whiskey and a shot of Coke.  He had three and he wasn't even dizzy.  Them Irishmen are scary.

Strings

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2006, 04:49:05 PM »
>Hopefully, next year, I'll be taking the oath.  Looking forward to it!<

Now I have to ask: are spectators allowed? If yes, I'd imagine you'll have one Hell of a cheering section!

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2006, 06:38:35 PM »
Quote from: Hunter Rose
>Hopefully, next year, I'll be taking the oath.  Looking forward to it!<

Now I have to ask: are spectators allowed? If yes, I'd imagine you'll have one Hell of a cheering section!
Guess what buddy? You now owe us an invite. Especially those of us within driving distance.  It just so happens that a lot of us Texans appreciate immigrants with point of view that is in line with the whole ol' freedom melting pot thing, and nothing warms our heart better than seeing them take the oath.

As our resident preacherman I'll bet you recognize this passage from Matthew 23. And I suspect that you might think as I do, that Jesus' words that were written down tended to have applications of wisdom that were more universal than just the immediate spiritual application. And in reference to new citizens being more "American" than those of us born here I quote

"You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when he becomes one, you make him twice as much a son of hell as you are."

Now how do you like being called a 'son of hell' as a compliment?

Now do you have any oppressed buddies in Zimbabwe looking to immigrate? We could use some of those farmers to settle our largely uninhabited western Texas regions.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2006, 12:43:16 AM »
There's this thing we call a "Dionysusigma Cocktail" that's a pint or so of whiskey and a shot of Coke.  He had three and he wasn't even dizzy.  Them Irishmen are scary.
Well, you've gotta add something to the drink for a little color.  Tongue You know, something to distinguish it from the Lagavulin chaser sitting right next to it.  Wink

Remember--an Irishman is not drunk, so long as he can hold on to one blade of grass, and not fall off the face of the Earth. Cheesy
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2006, 02:02:31 PM »
Quote from: Iain
I've been hanging around THR since July 2003, and in that time I've read a good number of threads about the UK. I've participated in a good number too, but now I'm burned out.

Never have I sought to defend the indefensible, but I have sought to clarify and disillusion and engage in meaningful dialogue, but always at the back of my mind I've wondered about a few, and eventually I've decided to say it...

Some people are just downright anti-English. Generally not pro-British, but specifically downright anti-English.

So my answer to my fellow countrymen is that they hate us for our macaroons and our clotted cream, but most of all they hate us for having accents that American girls just love.

It's a glorious morning here in Worcestershire, less internet for me.
Sorry to spoil your glorious morning, but according to the American ladies I know, they prefer Irish and/or Scottish accents.   ;P

And yes, we do hate your macaroons and clotted cream.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.