Author Topic: So what's available in mid-size 9mm's these days?  (Read 14856 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: So what's available in mid-size 9mm's these days?
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2012, 10:31:57 PM »
http://www.jgsales.com/cz-83-czech-surplus-380acp-pistol,-overall-good-to-very-good-condition.-p-5703.html
Got one of these last week.  Not 9x19, but still a common caliber.  I put about 100 rounds through today with no problems at all.  Neat gun to shoot. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2012, 01:34:07 PM »
Seeing as accessories are useful too...

What brands or custom makers do you recommend for reasonably priced gunbelts and Glock 19 holsters? I haven't kept up with who makes what in a last few years, so I figured I'd ask.

Also, are there any accessories you'd recommend for a Glock 19? Extended slide catch, better sights, etc?
Andy

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2012, 02:02:52 PM »
http://www.jgsales.com/cz-83-czech-surplus-380acp-pistol,-overall-good-to-very-good-condition.-p-5703.html
Got one of these last week.  Not 9x19, but still a common caliber.  I put about 100 rounds through today with no problems at all.  Neat gun to shoot. 

Would love to get one of those, in .380.  The round trigger guard looks better (to me) than the hooked one on the commercial CZ-83.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2012, 02:16:31 PM »

What brands or custom makers do you recommend for reasonably priced gunbelts and Glock 19 holsters? I haven't kept up with who makes what in a last few years, so I figured I'd ask.

Based on Oleg's recommending them, I got a JS Holster IWB.  It's OK.  Plenty of options.

Also, are there any accessories you'd recommend for a Glock 19? Extended slide catch, better sights, etc?

Mine came with Trijicon sights.  I'd say that's a go.

Extended slide release?  Pass.  Not needed.

Butt plug?  I got a Sherer plug, mostly to round the heel of the grip.  Pass, unless you have a genuine need (desert dust storms) to block that hole.

NY1 spring/3lb connector combo?  IMHO, pass.  Didn't feel right.  "Your mileage may vary."

Over time, over a number of guns, there've been very, very few add-ons, other than grips, that I've stuck with.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2012, 03:16:50 PM »
I would agree with that.  Grips and sights.  Other than that, I've never done much to the gun itself.  And grips can be hit or miss depending on what you like.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2012, 10:54:26 PM »

http://www.dragonleatherworks.com/index.php

Plan to get a couple when I get my CHL. Never heard a bad review....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2012, 12:18:00 AM »
Most mid-size 9s tend to be a bit less than "mid" sized.  Some of them are downright chunky.

Single stacks that are a bit more on the truly compact side...

Sig P250
Smith M&P 9 Shield
Ruger LC9
Kahr CW 9
Kimber Solo (if you can find one)
Taurus 709 Slim

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2012, 12:27:27 AM »
Glock all the way.  A carry piece is a tool, not a toy.  Get something that works and can deal with abuse.

I will say that I love my P239; but the go to gun?  Glock.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2012, 01:36:04 AM »
Get the walther ppq and don't look back. Best 9mm on the market nowadays, IMO.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2012, 08:38:03 AM »
Of the 9mm's I've owned I liked my Sig P239 but thats $$$ and arguably a little heavy. I also understand that Sig's QC has somewhat...declined. Still good but not quite as worth the increased bucks currently. That said it's a great size, accurate, and reliable.

I also REALLY like my S&W M&P and it's my usually recommendation to the "what 9mm?" question. Reasonable price, good capacity, very reliable, and very accurate. I've owned two now, a 40 which I traded and the current one in 9mm. The above goes for both of them. I also really like the interchangeable backstraps that make it fit just about anyone like a glove. I've not handled the compact version, but I understand the above holds true for them as well and for carry might be worth looking into.

But all that said, if the G19 works it works. I'd prefer the M&P personally, but that's just me.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2012, 10:22:39 AM »
I read a review on the S&W MP9 Shield, and it sounded interesting.  I am going to have to look for one to see how it holds and looks.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.