Author Topic: Windmill Dispute  (Read 5034 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Windmill Dispute
« on: May 10, 2012, 10:07:49 AM »
I found this story interesting from a couple of perspectives:

1) The statement, "At the time, city officials told him the issue needed to go before its Planning Commission because Longview did not have any windmill regulations."

That grates on my nerves because it implies that if there is not a law allowing it, that it is forbidden. I always thought America was all about, "If something is not specifically forbidden, it is allowed". And in this case they're making him pay $2000 just so they can decide if they should have a law or not.

2) The "He has weapons" statement. Because having a weapon always means you're gonna kill the revenuers.

It especially bothers me because of recent stuff I've been a witness to locally. At work, we're working with University of California on a joint building project. The contractor has been slacking off and not paying subcontractors, so there is an ongoing dispute. One of the subcontractors told the University that, "That guy shoots guns." So now every time the University has a meeting with him, they bring the cops with them because he, "...may have a gun in his office".

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/10/windmill-reportedly-at-center-dispute-between-washington-state-man-city/?test=latestnews

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Re: Windmill Dispute
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 11:44:30 AM »
Stupidity rooted in ignorance always causes fear. I hate that.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 11:50:13 AM »
Interesting ... our new neighbors sold out an orchard in Oregon and moved here, mostly or at least in part because of all the ridiculous regulations they had to deal with.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 01:56:20 PM »
I saw in one of the comments that someone had posted an ordinance in effect stating that if the guy were to attach a HAM antenna to the top of the windmill, he would be okay.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 02:56:19 PM »

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 04:13:51 PM »
Tripod books? You surely mean Triffids?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 04:22:16 PM »
Interesting aside, the wind turbines that they use for "green" energy have some interesting effects on people near them from the low frequency noise that the turbines produce.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 07:17:13 PM »
This looks like a job for a Spaniard with a lance....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 07:20:43 PM »
Interesting aside, the wind turbines that they use for "green" energy have some interesting effects on people near them from the low frequency noise that the turbines produce.

Some people will growl about anything  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 08:15:48 PM »
Some people will growl about anything  =)

SWMBO is an Audiologist, so it interests her.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 02:27:36 AM »
I once read an article about the effects of sub-audible-frequency sound on humans. From what I remember, it can cause instant and powerful reactions of fear and dread or impending doom, or a sense that there is an unseen dangerous presence with you.

Horror/drama movie directors know this, and use it to build suspense.  Obviously high-quality sound systems are needed to reproduce sound that low, like in theaters.

Another position by the article was the idea that this might explain why certain places are believed to be haunted.  Under the right conditions you could have a resonant frequency in a room or chamber that was sub-audible in frequency but with a large amplitude.  It could be powered by wind passing by, or large equipment running nearby, etc.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 12:20:14 PM »

Indeed.  This, and fall radius means that windfarms eat up a lot of useable land.

Plus, that whole cube root law means that energy output drops off quickly at anything less then full design wind pressure.  People see wind turbines turning all the time, and think they must always be putting out considerable energy.  Not so - they manage the transmission and armature winding current to maintain a fairly constant RPM reguardless of actual power output.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 11:11:15 AM »
no law allowing it?   perhaps we should all stop breathing?

SWMBO is an Audiologist, so it interests her.

what does she think about all the frequencies beyond our hearing that we are subjected to?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 11:20:44 AM »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 09:59:05 PM »
Nope.

http://www.amazon.com/Tripods-Trilogy-White-Mountains-City/dp/0020425716

I read them as a kid.

Chris

There was a comic strip version in, uh, Boy's Life, maybe?

Yup, here we go:
http://the-haunted-closet.blogspot.com/2010/03/white-mountains-boys-life-mar-1981-july.html

I think I may have read the books later.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 05:42:06 PM »
Nope.

http://www.amazon.com/Tripods-Trilogy-White-Mountains-City/dp/0020425716

I read them as a kid.

Chris

I remember reading one of them when I was younger. Every once in a while it would spring into mind but I couldn't remember what it wad called. Now I do. =D
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic