Author Topic: Zimmerman Medical Report Shows Broken Nose, Lacerations..."  (Read 79626 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Zimmerman Medical Report Shows Broken Nose, Lacerations..."
« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2012, 09:48:18 AM »
The part he's talking about doesn't say who was chasing whom. It indicates the direction they were going, which I suppose could tell us something.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2012, 07:58:11 PM »
So just lets see if we get this right.
You believe that being chased by someone gives you the right to turn around and initiate an assault on them? Is that right?

Seriously, how many times do I have to point out that both parties can be guilty of something in these cases?  micro's biker example was on point.   If its foreseeable that you'd start a fight with some activity, your right to self defence gets incredibly narrow.

The main point about chasing is that it isn't consistent with earlier statements from the Zimmerman camp - it doesn't fit the "you got a problem?" or "ambush" theories very well.    It does fit the theory that Zimmerman kept chasing after he got off the phone, having described trayvon as running away, and it also fits the witness who heard trayvon saying "why are you following me for [sic]".

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2012, 09:39:29 AM »
There was a lot of information in the first couple of days that has proven incorrect.  I'd like to see a good run down of the known facts and statements.  However, I think what we know if somewhat limited. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2012, 09:54:35 AM »
Seriously, how many times do I have to point out that both parties can be guilty of something in these cases?  micro's biker example was on point.   If its foreseeable that you'd start a fight with some activity, your right to self defence gets incredibly narrow.

The main point about chasing is that it isn't consistent with earlier statements from the Zimmerman camp - it doesn't fit the "you got a problem?" or "ambush" theories very well.    It does fit the theory that Zimmerman kept chasing after he got off the phone, having described trayvon as running away, and it also fits the witness who heard trayvon saying "why are you following me for [sic]".

As with most witnesses, this one's story seems to be inconclusive.

The woman claims she saw a "chase" and then says it was just a glance and without her contacts. This is far too little to base a case on.

It could support your "Zimmerman was chasing the poor helpless boy and scaring him to death!"

It could also support a "Zimmerman was jogging back to the car and Martin closed on him quickly." Just a "glance" at such a situation could look like a chase, too.

I'll go back to the witness who saw Martin on top pounding Zimmerman "MMA Style" while Zimmerman screamed for help "at least 38 times." Whatever you believe happened before, this clearly indicates non-mutual combat and a desire to retreat. Unless these facts are false, Zimmerman was justified in shooting the unrelenting assailant.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2012, 11:44:21 AM »
"Any fact, when viewed from an alternate perspective, will yield a completly different interpretation," ~~ Sherlock Holmes.

:facepalm:  Holmes was right.  [tinfoil]

MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2012, 07:22:56 PM »
As with most witnesses, this one's story seems to be inconclusive.

The woman claims she saw a "chase" and then says it was just a glance and without her contacts. This is far too little to base a case on.

It could support your "Zimmerman was chasing the poor helpless boy and scaring him to death!"

It could also support a "Zimmerman was jogging back to the car and Martin closed on him quickly." Just a "glance" at such a situation could look like a chase, too.

I'll go back to the witness who saw Martin on top pounding Zimmerman "MMA Style" while Zimmerman screamed for help "at least 38 times." Whatever you believe happened before, this clearly indicates non-mutual combat and a desire to retreat. Unless these facts are false, Zimmerman was justified in shooting the unrelenting assailant.

Did you consider the possibility that trayvon saw the gun, which is why he tried to pound zimmerman?   Strange man chasing you at night with a gun ought to be grounds for trying to take it from him.  But no, let's not imagine anything the ccwer did could be bad.   It must be a frame up because otherwise al sharp ton wouldn't have said anything about it.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2012, 07:29:54 PM »
really?!  in your alternate version of reality he saw the gun?  and was gonna take it?  fascinating
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2012, 07:50:12 PM »
really?!  in your alternate version of reality he saw the gun?  and was gonna take it?  fascinating

How is that an alternate reality?   It's certainly a possibility, which if true would leave Zimmerman with no option but a plea, but it's also not necessary to make out the crime.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2012, 07:55:51 PM »
How is that an alternate reality?   It's certainly a possibility, which if true would leave Zimmerman with no option but a plea, but it's also not necessary to make out the crime.

Objection, your honor; 'assuming facts not in evidence.' "
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2012, 07:57:21 PM »
Objection, your honor; 'assuming facts not in evidence.' "

Uh, who is assuming that's what happened?  

Edit to clarify:  the point there was that even with all of what mak assumed to be true, Zimmerman could still be guilty of a crime.   Assuming that Zimmerman was jogging back to his car doesn't make out self defence under the circumstances.   For example, if he had his weapon visible at any point in time (say, drawn because he was afraid of being ambushed by a criminal) and trayvon saw that, it would definitely be provocation enough to deprive Zimmerman of a self defense claim. 

Even assuming that did not happen, he's still got a problem because he ran after someone who wasn't doing anything wrong or threatening, knowing full well that the person was trying to get away from him.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 08:54:44 PM by De Selby »

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2012, 09:25:47 PM »
Sorry. Went camping over the weekend with my Cub Scouts.  No internet.  Anyways, I find  it interesting to find that so many are willing to take Z at his word as to what happened.  Just an observation.  When I was  a prosecutor, I never took aanyone's statement as gospel until everything made sense in my mind, start to finish.  So from that perspective, I played a lot of "what if" in my mind.  I also had the thought that DeSelby had.  Z goes into the unknown following a gang banger on drugs.  He may have drawn.  I imight have.  T sees the gun, may feel trapped, so attacks.

And anyone objecting to "facts  not in evidence," I'll overrule the objection as there are no facts in evidence as of yet, just press information, and we all know how reliable that can be.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2012, 11:36:23 PM »
Uh, who is assuming that's what happened?  

Edit to clarify:  the point there was that even with all of what mak assumed to be true, Zimmerman could still be guilty of a crime.   Assuming that Zimmerman was jogging back to his car doesn't make out self defence under the circumstances.   For example, if he had his weapon visible at any point in time (say, drawn because he was afraid of being ambushed by a criminal) and trayvon saw that, it would definitely be provocation enough to deprive Zimmerman of a self defense claim.  

Even assuming that did not happen, he's still got a problem because he ran after someone who wasn't doing anything wrong or threatening, knowing full well that the person was trying to get away from him.

YOU were assuming.
Did you consider the possibility that trayvon saw the gun, which is why he tried to pound zimmerman?

Is there any evidence Trayvon saw the gun?  I don't think so.  This may pass muster on an internet forum but unless there's a reason to substantiate it, the question would be deemed too speculative to be allowed in court.

Moreover, if I was just passin' through and minding my own business and someone was ..."apparantly" following me and had a gun out, the last thing in the world I would do is "ambush" him or confront him.  That sounds like a crazy thing to do.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 11:40:02 PM by TommyGunn »

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #87 on: May 22, 2012, 11:39:26 PM »
And anyone objecting to "facts  not in evidence," I'll overrule the objection as there are no facts in evidence as of yet, just press information, and we all know how reliable that can be.

Aw, c'mon. People were feeling pretty lawyerly using the phrase "facts not in evidence". ;)

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2012, 11:45:18 PM »
And anyone objecting to "facts  not in evidence," I'll overrule the objection as there are no facts in evidence as of yet, just press information, and we all know how reliable that can be.

:angel:
I was using the term rhetorically.  
Besides, it makes me feel like Perry Mason, one of my childhood heroes.  [tinfoil]

Since O.J. Simpson was found "not guilty" can we assume courts have only a slightly better record of getting things right? ;)

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2012, 12:25:06 AM »
Did you consider the possibility that trayvon saw the gun, which is why he tried to pound zimmerman?   Strange man chasing you at night with a gun ought to be grounds for trying to take it from him.  But no, let's not imagine anything the ccwer did could be bad.   It must be a frame up because otherwise al sharp ton wouldn't have said anything about it.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #90 on: May 23, 2012, 12:48:28 AM »
Well, let's see, the prosecutor/judicial officer here sees something funny, the lead investigator swore probable cause before the papers knew this was a case, and now the only possible explanation some people see for the charges is "politix!!!!!".   

Let's all say it together folks:  chasing people who aren't doing anything while armed is insane, and will (should, even) lead to charges.   Playing the cop role when you're a junior college criminology student isn't just lame, it's dangerous, to your freedom and to the lives of others.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #91 on: May 23, 2012, 08:04:24 AM »
Well, let's see, the prosecutor/judicial officer here sees something funny, the lead investigator swore probable cause before the papers knew this was a case, and now the only possible explanation some people see for the charges is "politix!!!!!".   

Let's all say it together folks:  chasing people who aren't doing anything while armed is insane, and will (should, even) lead to charges.   Playing the cop role when you're a junior college criminology student isn't just lame, it's dangerous, to your freedom and to the lives of others.

And, again, conflating following with "chasing."

You are assuming a fact not conceded. Everyone concedes Mr. Zimmerman followed Mr. Martin. The disagreement comes in (1) the length of time of the following and (2) that the following led to "chasing". Those are disputed (and unknown!) data.

You build your entire argument upon those disputed facts.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #92 on: May 23, 2012, 08:57:11 AM »
Did you consider the possibility that trayvon saw the gun, which is why he tried to pound zimmerman?

And Zimmerman with a gun already in his hand would have shot Martin before he landed a punch.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #93 on: May 23, 2012, 09:58:35 AM »
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/os-george-zimmerman-key-witnesses-20120522,0,4935982,full.story

A fourth abandoned her initial story, that she saw one person chasing another. Now, she says, she saw a single figure running.

I think this is the witness De Selby is referring to about chasing.  She didn't have contacts in and just seems like a witness who saw little or nothing.

As for the other witness stories, I am not sure if they really hurt Zimmerman or not.  I guess it depends on how you are visualizing the events.  The one guy saying Zimmerman was on top after the shooting just doesn't seem relavant to me as it was after. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #94 on: May 23, 2012, 10:56:51 AM »
:angel:
I was using the term rhetorically.  
Besides, it makes me feel like Perry Mason, one of my childhood heroes.  [tinfoil]

Sometimes, I wish that real court was more like Perry Mason...

And I appreciate the use of the objection.  ;)
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #95 on: May 23, 2012, 11:26:11 AM »
I would like to ask a question, and I'm being serious.  From what I understand, these are the facts known independent of Z's statement:

T was walking down the street, wearing a hood up.  Z was following him in his vehicle, and reported to the dispatcher that he was following a suspected gang member who appeared to be under the influence.  T ducked between houses.  Per his phone call, he tells his girlfriend that he's being followed by some guy, and he's nervous/scared.  Z tells dispatcher that he's going to follow T on foot, and is told not to by the dispatcher.  Witnesses describe seeing a fight between two males.  Some describe the black subject on top, others the white subject.  A shot is fired by Z.  T died.  No one saw the shot fired.  Z was taken to the police station, has injuries documented (facial bruising, broken nose?, injury to back of head).  Autopsy shows T had bruising on hands (consistent with punching), and trace amounts only of marihuana.

Is this accurate?  I'm not going out of my way to keep up with the case.  Too much of my own docket to worry about.  But, before I make my next argument about something, I want to make sure I know the facts as well as I can (without having to read a bunch on-line).
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2012, 11:41:28 AM »
I would like to ask a question, and I'm being serious.  From what I understand, these are the facts known independent of Z's statement:

T was walking down the street, wearing a hood up.  Z was following him in his vehicle, and reported to the dispatcher that he was following a suspected gang member who appeared to be under the influence.  T ducked between houses.  Per his phone call, he tells his girlfriend that he's being followed by some guy, and he's nervous/scared.  Z tells dispatcher that he's going to follow T on foot, and is told not to by the dispatcher.  Witnesses describe seeing a fight between two males.  Some describe the black subject on top, others the white subject.  A shot is fired by Z.  T died.  No one saw the shot fired.  Z was taken to the police station, has injuries documented (facial bruising, broken nose?, injury to back of head).  Autopsy shows T had bruising on hands (consistent with punching), and trace amounts only of marihuana.

Is this accurate?  I'm not going out of my way to keep up with the case.  Too much of my own docket to worry about.  But, before I make my next argument about something, I want to make sure I know the facts as well as I can (without having to read a bunch on-line).

No. You are including unconfirmed reports with known facts.

T was walking down the street, wearing a hood up.  Z was following him in his vehicle, and reported to the dispatcher that he was following a suspected gang member youth who appeared to be acting strangely, indicating ciminal intent or being under the influence.  T ducked between houses. Per his phone call, he tells his girlfriend that he's being followed by some guy, and he's nervous/scared. That call was not recorded and all we have is Trayvon's girlfriend's word on that.   Z tells dispatcher that he's going to follow T on foot T has started running at which point the dispatcher asks where he went. Z gets out of the car to follow and begins breathing harder at which point he is asked if he is following T and replies in the affirmative. He is told not to by the dispatcher.  Some witnesses describe seeing a fight between two males.  Some describe the black subject on top, others the white subject. You have conflated testimony here. I believe only one witness actually saw a fight and described T as being on top. Other witnesses who saw Z "on top" do not describe a fight but say he was "standing over him.". A shot is fired by Z.  T died.  No one saw the shot fired.  Z was taken to the police station, has injuries documented (facial bruising, broken nose?, injury to back of head).  Autopsy shows T had bruising on hands (consistent with punching), and trace amounts only of marihuana.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2012, 02:26:44 PM »
Today's latest news is that the eyewitnesses have dramatically changed their stories.

Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2012, 02:39:33 PM »
Today's latest news is that the eyewitnesses have dramatically changed their stories.

Social pressure to "fit the narrative". Not surprising.
I promise not to duck.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #99 on: May 23, 2012, 02:52:59 PM »
Does this include the eyewitness that saw T atop Z beating the latter, just before the fatal shot was fired?

Changes in the stories of other witnesses would seem to do more harm to the prosecution's case rather than the defense . . . a matter of witness credibility.

You know, more info is leaking out, and I still don't know  - know! - whether Z is innocent or guilty; I suppose that means "reasonable doubt" still prevails right now.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain