Author Topic: .327 vs .357 stopping power and recoil? Opinions solicited  (Read 11025 times)

Stand_watie

• friend
For my non-shooter wife for home defense.

I'm talking about a full size Ruger or similar revolver. I've had a Rossi .357, full sized (971?) with a 4 inch barrel and the recoil when firing .38's I think to be small enough for a new shooter not to develop a flinch.

What sez the members of the peanut gallery?
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: .327 vs .357 stopping power and recoil? Opinions solicited
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 04:31:51 PM »
I tend to stick with the really common calibers like .38/.357 etc

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 05:35:10 PM »
I say they are both too loud to shoot indoors.  Go with a .38 Special (or a 9mm with a silencer if that's legal in your state)  The .38 is also too loud, but less likely to cause significant permanent hearing damage.
"It's good, though..."

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 05:49:23 PM »
i have never shot the .327.  given the choice, i prefer the more common cartridge.  likely just .38 would be plenty for what you need.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 07:12:28 PM »
Go with the 38/357. The 38 is pretty mild and if she desires something bigger, you have it covered.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 07:20:36 PM »
For ammo availability and sheer versatility - you can shoot anything from a .38 wadcutter to a full magnum load - I say stick with the .357. Oddball rounds like the .327 are the product of advertising hype in the hope of selling more guns/ammo to the guy who just has to have something different, even if it's not actually better than what we have now.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 07:28:00 PM »
I've never shot the .327 but used to shot a bit of .32 H & R mag. It is very load and flashy indoors in low light. You could drop down to a .32 Long for a light load but unless you reload it is going to cost you for ammo and be hard to find.

Having a very accurate 38/357 around here, I'm not seeing a need for a 327.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 08:18:11 PM »
.38 Special wadcutters are a potent defense load.  They don't expand, but they penetrate like crazy and do a lot of damage along the way.  I wish someone (not taurus) made a short-cylinder pocket .38 that would only chamber wadcutters -- like an I-frame chief's model.
"It's good, though..."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 09:01:26 PM »
While the .327 geels less "snappy" than the .32H&RMag, and feels like it has less recoil (by quite a bit) than the .357 in both 2" and 4" barrels, there is little difference in sound indoors or outdoors between .327 and .357.  All this is subjective data from one person.

On paper and in gelatin terminal ballistics between the .327 and .357 seem to be close enough not to matter.  I certainly wouylds not want to try and catch either one.

.327 and .38spl+p feel about the same.  Vanilla .38spl is, compared to .327, almost wimpy.  Almpst.

Why are you looking to get away from either tried-and-true round that is given to those we think can't handle "real" calibers?  And have  you tried SWMBO out on .45acp?  Many, even frail, women, find it a teddybear.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
For ammo availability and sheer versatility - you can shoot anything from a .38 wadcutter to a full magnum load - I say stick with the .357. Oddball rounds like the .327 are the product of advertising hype in the hope of selling more guns/ammo to the guy who just has to have something different, even if it's not actually better than what we have now.

One more round of an odball new cartridge in a snubby sized gun, versus the ubiquity of the .38/.357.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 09:23:30 PM »
Go with the more commen caliber.

I concur with the versitility of having the .357 mag. In a full size steel frame, .38 special is nothing, in terms of recoil.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 03:06:30 AM »
I'd prefer the versatility and cheap practice ammo of the .38/.357.

I'd also look at a long gun instead of / in addition to a pistol for purely in house work. Pistols are far inferior in literally every way except concealability and carryability. If she's not toting it on body even inside the house, it has nothing but disadvantages.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 03:17:18 AM »
Go with the more commen caliber.

I concur with the versitility of having the .357 mag. In a full size steel frame, .38 special is nothing, in terms of recoil.

I'm trying to buy myself a sexy new gun here and lay it off on my wife. As a woman, you should be especially empathetic to my cause. Help me out here.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 03:46:05 AM »
If you're a decent handloader you could probably get .357 stopping power and 9mm recoil.

Personally I want a .327 sp101 because I hope to be a decent handloader some day and heard from a friend that its going to be one of the best revolver cartridges ever.

Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 04:12:28 AM »
My non-gun person gun package is a DA revolver in .44 and a Marlin lever gun with a red dot also in .44. Use .44 special in handgun. Same can be done with .357/.38, just cheaper ammo.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2012, 06:24:29 AM »
I'm trying to buy myself a sexy new gun here and lay it off on my wife. As a woman, you should be especially empathetic to my cause. Help me out here.

*snort*
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2012, 06:45:43 AM »

*snort*

No, seriously, I feel his pain.  Buddy of mine did that - with a 2" .327 of all things.  Bought it "for his wife" because it was as powerfuk as, but had less recoil than the .357.  Turned out she is a 1911 person and appropriated his second-favorite one as her own, saying "You have a new toy so you won't miss this."

To his credit, he carries it.  Not all the time.  Just when going out with SWMBO.*

stay safe.

* But then, I'm pretty sure she also picks what he is going to wear when they go out.  (He needs the help - plaid pants with horizontal-striped polo shirts do not belong even on a golf course!)
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2012, 07:25:03 AM »
No, seriously, I feel his pain.  Buddy of mine did that - with a 2" .327 of all things.  Bought it "for his wife" because it was as powerfuk as, but had less recoil than the .357.  Turned out she is a 1911 person and appropriated his second-favorite one as her own, saying "You have a new toy so you won't miss this."

To his credit, he carries it.  Not all the time.  Just when going out with SWMBO.*

stay safe.

* But then, I'm pretty sure she also picks what he is going to wear when they go out.  (He needs the help - plaid pants with horizontal-striped polo shirts do not belong even on a golf course!)

I like this women. She is smart.
 =)

And I will help him out if he buys me a new .357 mag.  :angel:

"yes, ma'am. .327 is a GREAT caliber. Just perfect for you..."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2012, 03:49:42 PM »
I really like the concept of the .327, on paper at least, especially if they use the extra space savings to cram in +1 round over the comparable .38 or. 357.

Might make for the perfect nightstand gun for the non-gunnie type who might be a bit less safe with a mag-fed semi auto.

There is even ammo variety with the ability to fire any rimmed .32 of shorter length. Unfortunately they're all expensive and rare. So I say don't ginuea pig yourself on the .327 either...
I promise not to duck.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2012, 04:24:22 PM »
I really like the concept of the .327, on paper at least, especially if they use the extra space savings to cram in +1 round over the comparable .38 or. 357.

Might make for the perfect nightstand gun for the non-gunnie type who might be a bit less safe with a mag-fed semi auto.

There is even ammo variety with the ability to fire any rimmed .32 of shorter length. Unfortunately they're all expensive and rare. So I say don't ginuea pig yourself on the .327 either...

I think you can also use .32 ACP, but might have a little trouble with the extractor star jumping over the rims. (not a problem if you don't have a reload anyway)
"It's good, though..."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2012, 05:06:42 PM »

I think you can also use .32 ACP, but might have a little trouble with the extractor star jumping over the rims. (not a problem if you don't have a reload anyway)

SAAMI disagrees with both of you, saying that neither .32S&W short nor .32acp is compatable.

Granted you might get the boolit part to out the end of the gun you point away from you without having anything blow up, but the additional distance to jump from cylinder for both of them and the chance to not only jam the star extractor but allow gas out the back for the latter are issues you might want to consider/reconsider.

stay safe.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2012, 08:45:10 PM »
For my non-shooter wife for home defense.

I'm talking about a full size Ruger or similar revolver. I've had a Rossi .357, full sized (971?) with a 4 inch barrel and the recoil when firing .38's I think to be small enough for a new shooter not to develop a flinch.

What sez the members of the peanut gallery?

House gun?  How's her arm and hand strength?

I think I'd be looking at Ruger's 4" .357 SP-101.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2012, 09:07:44 PM »
My wife has one of those used Model 64 S&W's from J&G Sales, and we both love it.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2012, 09:10:54 PM »
House gun?  How's her arm and hand strength?...

Size is comparable to a typical small framed woman. Strength is about comparable to a small, but quite wiry welshman coal miner based upon how black my eyes get when I miss the laundry hamper with my dirty socks.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2012, 08:42:20 PM »
Stay with a K or J frame in .38/.357.  The report induces as much or more flinch than the actual recoil.  I'd take the .38 over the .327 for that, if no other reason.  A good hit between the shirt pockets would settle the dispute with either.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.