Author Topic: .327 vs .357 stopping power and recoil? Opinions solicited  (Read 11027 times)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: .327 vs .357 stopping power and recoil? Opinions solicited
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2012, 05:40:56 AM »
The  .327Fed is, ballistically speaking, a 6-shot 9mm that doesn't need moon clips....but does need expensive, hard to find ammo. If more than one major ammo company offered the round, I'd be interested.

Right now, I'd recommend a good K-frame  .357Mag revolver....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2012, 08:51:06 AM »
I'd recommend a good K-frame  .357Mag revolver

That's a good answer to almost any "which handgun?" question.  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2012, 11:15:04 AM »
.38 Special wadcutters are a potent defense load.  They don't expand, but they penetrate like crazy and do a lot of damage along the way.  I wish someone (not taurus) made a short-cylinder pocket .38 that would only chamber wadcutters -- like an I-frame chief's model.

This, or a 9mm & moonclip version with the cylinder cut to accommodate the 9mm short OAL.  That way you could shoot everything from mild 90gr loads to the hottest 9mm+P+ ".357Sig" loads.

While the .327 geels less "snappy" than the .32H&RMag, and feels like it has less recoil (by quite a bit) than the .357 in both 2" and 4" barrels, there is little difference in sound indoors or outdoors between .327 and .357.  All this is subjective data from one person.

On paper and in gelatin terminal ballistics between the .327 and .357 seem to be close enough not to matter.  I certainly wouylds not want to try and catch either one.

.327 and .38spl+p feel about the same.  Vanilla .38spl is, compared to .327, almost wimpy.  Almpst.

Why are you looking to get away from either tried-and-true round that is given to those we think can't handle "real" calibers?  And have  you tried SWMBO out on .45acp?  Many, even frail, women, find it a teddybear.

stay safe.

My 5'-nuthin', 100lbs only with rocks in her pockets wife took a shine to 1911s and never looked back.

"It fits my hand and I shoot it better than all the others."  <----Words of wisdom from Mrs. roo_ster.

Stay with a K or J frame in .38/.357.  The report induces as much or more flinch than the actual recoil.  I'd take the .38 over the .327 for that, if no other reason.  A good hit between the shirt pockets would settle the dispute with either.

This.  Muzzle/cyl gap blast are definitely part of the whole subjective recoil effect.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2012, 12:22:23 PM »
Yeah, I never knew where the "common wisdom" (emphasis on the quotes) came about that .45ACP was something for the recoil-sensitive to avoid.

Unless it's one of those mini-micro deep concealment .45's, it's a bigger slower push, and not at all snappy, like .38's/.357's, 9mm, or .40 can be, depending on the load and gun combination used.

And the single stack magazine works really well for some people's hands.
I promise not to duck.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2012, 01:38:40 PM »
Yeah, I never knew where the "common wisdom" (emphasis on the quotes) came about that .45ACP was something for the recoil-sensitive to avoid.

Unless it's one of those mini-micro deep concealment .45's, it's a bigger slower push, and not at all snappy, like .38's/.357's, 9mm, or .40 can be, depending on the load and gun combination used.

And the single stack magazine works really well for some people's hands.

I found my first experience with a 1911 to be near-perfect. Like you say, it's a long (for recoil) slow push, rather than a sharp kick - I found the recoil of my .40SW and .357Sig to be far snappier, and therefore more objectionable.

But I know little of .357Mag (other than it was a flamethrower that kicked like a smallish mule in a 4"-barrelled Ruger revolver the one time I tried it), and nothing of .327.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2012, 02:54:14 PM »

.45's a pussycat in my little Bersa.

That's a good answer to almost any "which handgun?" question.  ;)

Which is why I recommended the 4" SP101, as the closest one can approach that currently (new).
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 09:31:02 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2012, 08:18:12 PM »
Plenty of K-frame S&W's & Ruger Security/Speed-Sixes in the used pipeline still....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.