Author Topic: Gingrich's private ventures are going bankrupt  (Read 914 times)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Gingrich's private ventures are going bankrupt
« on: May 22, 2012, 09:30:08 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/gingrichs-private-ventures-going-bankrupt-100728262.html

When he entered the race for the Republican presidential nomination in May 2011, Newt Gingrich was the prosperous head of a small empire commonly known as Newt Inc, which included both for-profit consultancies and nonprofit foundations. Altogether, these entwined ventures pulled in more than $110 million over the past decade. Now the vestiges of this empire are mired in debt, as is Gingrich's campaign fund. A bankruptcy proceeding under way in Atlanta will determine whether the one company still owned by Callista Gingrich, Gingrich Productions, will lose an expected payout that now constitutes the bulk of the Gingriches' net worth.

In addition to the $4.8 million in debt from his presidential run, it looks as if his other ventures are going bankrupt as well.

His Center for Health Transformation is currently in bankruptcy, and Newt had sold his share to his partners when he began his presidential run for %6.4 million. Due to the bankruptcy, he will most likely never see that money.

Another corporation, American Solutions for Winning the Future was dissolved last summer, also mired in debt.

Interesting that these financial issues were never picked up by the MSM.

Given the inability to keep these entities solvent, one wonders how Newtie would have handled the US economy.

Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

HankB

• friend
Re: Gingrich's private ventures are going bankrupt
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 09:43:36 AM »
One wonders what actual product or service these corporations were going to provide, how they were originally funded, and what kind of business plan they had.

And they were mired in debt? From where?

Were I a banker - or venture capitalist, or investor seeking a return, or even a hot dog vendor - I would not have loaned money or extended credit to entities with names like American Solutions for Winning the Future or Center for Health Transformation.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 09:50:22 AM »
One wonders what actual product or service these corporations were going to provide, how they were originally funded, and what kind of business plan they had.

And they were mired in debt? From where?

Were I a banker - or venture capitalist, or investor seeking a return, or even a hot dog vendor - I would not have loaned money or extended credit to entities with names like American Solutions for Winning the Future or Center for Health Transformation.

Uh, they're shell companies? The "venture capitalist" is probably Gingrich, or someone giving him cash. They're probably just legal entities to segregate activity. If his accountant did his job, those companies could burn to the ground and Gingrich walks away with his own money. Assuming his accountant did follow GAAP, properly incorporated, did not comingle assets, arms reach transactions, etc.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 05:45:46 PM »
Given the inability to keep these entities solvent, one wonders how Newtie would have handled the US economy.

Just about like the last couple presidents   =(

Who needs solvency when you can print money  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 10:06:26 PM »
American Solutions for Winning the Future was dissolved last summer, also mired in debt.

Well doesn't that just sum up the current state of affairs? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife