Author Topic: 2a double standard comming soon  (Read 2738 times)

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: 2a double standard comming soon
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 11:31:03 PM »
I agree with ex-Rep Cunningham that he should get his rights restored.  But so should all the other released prisoners (at least once they're no longer under probation/parole). 

My sympathy for him though tempered by his stated reasons being hunting and sport shooting.  Had he argued for self defence being his primary concern he'd get a lot more sympathy from me in his plight.  But he seems more interested in remaining with the elite than anything else.
Formerly sumpnz

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 12:46:14 AM »
So the judge (correctly) informed him that he can't help. Good.

The judge can't help because that's not how the Federal restoration of rights system works. There is one in the laws -- but for years the Congress has specifically declined to provide any funding for the operation of the system, so NOBODY convicted of a Federal felony can have his/her rights restored.

If former Congresscritter Cunningham was one of those who voted not to fund the appeal process -- "What goes around, comes around."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 01:50:39 PM »
I have to agree with sumpnz

It's not about hunting and competing...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 01:58:47 PM »
If he wants to hunt in spite of the felony conviction over his head he can go the black-powder route.  Same for a whole raft of competition sports.

He avoids looking like a spoiled brat and learns that in spite of there being negative consequences for violating the law there are loopholes.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 10:37:46 PM »
Interesting wording in the article- twice saying he wants to "carry" a gun. Technically, he would be carrying a gun to hunt or whatever, but still implies something else.
I agree that any non-violent felon should have the ability to regain his lost rights after time served.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 05:45:42 AM »
First, let us remember that the article was wwritten by a reportologist, and most of them are not sure which end is pointed in what direction.  To most of them "having a gun" and "carrying a gun" have no discernable difference in meaning.

As for felons (for some values of "felon") getting their rights back - how would all the law-abiding folks out there be afraid to violate the law if there were not some onerous and terrifying penalty that could be imposed?  Because penalties are not designed to deter the criminals.  Either that or the penalties are just not working, no matter how much or how often they tweak them.

Maybe if there was a waiting period (at least 5 years*) after all supervision was ceased.

stay safe.

* 5 years selected as most criminals who are going to recidivate (arrested and convicted) do so in 3.  Samenow & Yokelson said that most folks cannot sustain a "con" for 90 days.  I'd like to see if they really have given up their "life" of crime and am willing to give them time to prove it.  Yeah, being an ex-felon is both a bitch and difficult, but there are some who manage to permanently stay out of new trouble.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 09:18:29 AM »
It is definitely a double standard on his part.

I like the idea of a 5 year waiting period provided the standard for staying out of trouble a little tighter than just another felony.  That would alleviate a lot of my concerns. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 10:37:30 AM »
While the right to own and carry isn't recognized here (especially the carrying part), if you're convicted of a crime, you'll have to wait for atleast 5 years after you've served your sentence before you should even bother to apply for a license again.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 11:19:59 AM »
Nooooo problem.  All he has to do is ask for a Presidential pardon.  ;-]
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 11:23:19 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 11:24:40 AM »
I agree with ex-Rep Cunningham that he should get his rights restored.  But so should all the other released prisoners (at least once they're no longer under probation/parole). 

My sympathy for him though tempered by his stated reasons being hunting and sport shooting.  Had he argued for self defence being his primary concern he'd get a lot more sympathy from me in his plight.  But he seems more interested in remaining with the elite than anything else.

Basically this.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner