Author Topic: What Not to Wear to the Office  (Read 10597 times)

MechAg94

• friend
What Not to Wear to the Office
« on: June 04, 2012, 08:25:04 PM »
http://shine.yahoo.com/secrets/not-wear-office-180500140.html

I thought I would post this.  The subject didn't seem so interesting at first, but reading the comments, I am surprised how many times I have come across some of this stuff before.  I am sure some of you have as well.  It is also primarily focused on women's clothes, but most of them apply equally in their own way to men (I don't men wearing skirts too short either).  

I think #3 about wearing excessive perfume is the one that bugs me the most.  Years ago at an older office, the site labor contractor had a time keeper that wore too much perfume.  You could always tell where she had been for 30 min or an hour after she left.  The same was true more recently for a guy that used to come out and calibrate our gas meters at one site.  It seemed the excessive smell of cologne would hang around for an hour or so.  

The comment I saw below the article was "Your perfume/cologne should not enter the room before you do".  IMO, it shouldn't hang around after you leave either.  

Most guys in chemical plants these days wear fire retardant uniforms so most of these are not an issue.  As for the office, please let me say that if a girl wants engineers to notice her, she doesn't really need to display anything.  They'll notice anyway.   =D
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 08:35:01 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: What Not to Wear to the Office
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 08:53:24 PM »
I have seen some women that really need this advice. And I don't say this because I am a table-leg-concealing fuddy-duddy - some of them just look silly wearing their club-hopping gear to the office.

I don't know what their boyfriends wear to their jobs. I don't think their boyfriends even have jobs.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 09:51:52 PM »
Ugh. We have relaxed dress code on holidays. One girl I work with wears a shirt that shows her belly, cleavage, and booty shorts. Problem is she's in her mid forties, 50 pounds overweight and ragged out.  That *expletive deleted*it shouldn't be legal.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 06:57:06 AM »
From the article:

Tight mini skirts are inappropriate for most office environments.

So, does that mean that loose miniskirts are OK?  Loose the schoolgirl fantasies! 

Your fantasies, darn bunch of perverts!  I'm too old to have any. :angel:

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 11:06:33 AM »
I get migraine headaches from strong odors and have packed up my desk and moved to the conference room to work due to women who bathe in whore water!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 11:53:52 AM »
What Not to Wear to the Office

Musk.

Lady at my first real job, 30 some odd years ago, wore it strong.  You could tell where she was, where she had been, sometimes where she would be.

I know it's a sex pheromone.  For that purpose, it's best done subtle.  Don't baptise oneself with it.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 11:58:01 AM »
Ugh. We have relaxed dress code on holidays. One girl I work with wears a shirt that shows her belly, cleavage, and booty shorts. Problem is she's in her mid forties, 50 pounds overweight and ragged out.  That *expletive deleted* shouldn't be legal.

True, but then I think of me: the middle-aged average build guy in spandex on a road bike.  Not as bad as your example, but I am no Adonis either any more.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 11:58:58 AM »
True, but then I think of me: the middle-aged average build guy in spandex on a road bike.  Not as bad as your example, but I am no Adonis either any more.

Do you wear your spandex on casual days to the office?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 12:05:09 PM »
Telecommuting: avoids dress code issues.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 12:28:40 PM »
Ugh. We have relaxed dress code on holidays. One girl I work with wears a shirt that shows her belly, cleavage, and booty shorts. Problem is she's in her mid forties, 50 pounds overweight and ragged out.  That *expletive deleted* shouldn't be legal.

Here's a thought....picture her without all those clothes on..... :-*
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 12:53:59 PM »
Meh, spandex is appropriate exercise wear. Booty shorts are rarely appropriate at work, especially when you look awful in them.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 12:59:46 PM »
Telecommuting: avoids dress code issues.

That assumes you have a job where TC is acceptable. 

Besides, even when I work from home (2-3 days a week), I still dress somewhat acceptable for the office.  I feel it gets me in the frame of mind to actually work.  I'm working from home right now, but I'm "only" wearing cargo shorts and a polo shirt.  While not office wear for most locations, we do get to dress this way during the hottest part of the summer at the office.  Dunno why, we work in a SOC and the temps are on the cool side already, but who am I to argue. :)

Chris

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 03:59:22 PM »
Wearing a gun to the office is usually unacceptable  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 04:49:18 PM »
Wearing a gun to the office is usually unacceptable  =(

One of the privileges I enjoyed working for the wifey.
JD

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 06:21:58 PM »
Here's a thought....picture her without all those clothes on..... :-*
We would do that with some women regardless what they wear.  It is amazing the thoughts you can have just seeing a half way cute girl in head to toe coveralls inside a chemical plant.  Many guys refer to some women as "plant cute".   =)

I guess that should be a lesson to Muslims in some cultures.  It doesn't matter how they dress, that won't remove the temptation.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 02:20:12 AM »
I have proposed "Bathing in Whore Water" to my friend as an album title for our non-existant band.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 03:32:57 AM »
IMO, they first need a "what not to wear to the interview" class.  I've gotten three different jobs that I wasn't really qualified for, but that suddenly became "will train" when I was the only interviewee that showed up in a tie.  Two of them were office jobs.  I've also done interviews for nice office jobs where I'd already eliminated candidates as they walked into the office in a t-shirt and shorts.

Judging a book by its cover doesn't apply, as a book doesn't choose its cover.

I've advocated for a core curriculum class in "how and why to dress and act like an adult" as a prereq for all sophomore level classes.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 07:15:07 AM »

Well, I do. :D

But I seriously think there are a lot of jobs where people can telecommute, and the employers haven't figured it out yet.

And there'll be more and more of them as technology advances.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 07:51:42 AM »
IMO, they first need a "what not to wear to the interview" class.  I've gotten three different jobs that I wasn't really qualified for, but that suddenly became "will train" when I was the only interviewee that showed up in a tie.  Two of them were office jobs.  I've also done interviews for nice office jobs where I'd already eliminated candidates as they walked into the office in a t-shirt and shorts.

Judging a book by its cover doesn't apply, as a book doesn't choose its cover.

I've advocated for a core curriculum class in "how and why to dress and act like an adult" as a prereq for all sophomore level classes.

One of my nephews can't understand why he can't get a job. Wears a batman hoodie, baggy, knee length shorts and ratty shoes to an interview. He might even get away with that but the guy looks like he did a face plant in a tackle box.
Personally I wouldn't care to be served fast food* buy a person with enough hardware sticking out of their face to weigh down a body.

Not that I eat fast food more than a few times a year anyway.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2012, 08:20:09 AM »
Strange. I see piles of face-pierced people at the local McD.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2012, 08:31:27 AM »
Two questions:
Why are they storing pierced individuals at a fast food restaurant, and why do they pile them, instead of stacking them in a more organized fashion?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2012, 09:33:13 AM »
Two questions:
Why are they storing pierced individuals at a fast food restaurant, and why do they pile them, instead of stacking them in a more organized fashion?
I think the various types of hardware keep getting tangled up so it is easier to just pile them up.  They don't have storage bins like a good tackle box to separate the hardware. 

You just think that is beef and chicken. 

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2012, 09:45:33 AM »
My wife is a first grade teacher, so her work attire is more conservative than most places, except sweet, sweet Friday.

5 days a week, 8am-5pm.  The rest of my team is scattered throughout the east coast.   The company I am actually employed by has its closest office 90 minutes away.  I've been there once and that was for the interview.

The other day I got out of the shower late (because I got up at 7:50) and because of that I worked until lunch wearing a t-shirt, boxer briefs and one sock.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2012, 09:59:09 AM »
5 days a week, 8am-5pm.  The rest of my team is scattered throughout the east coast.   The company I am actually employed by has its closest office 90 minutes away.  I've been there once and that was for the interview.

The other day I got out of the shower late (because I got up at 7:50) and because of that I worked until lunch wearing a t-shirt, boxer briefs and one sock.

My company is very TC-friendly.  I have coworkers worldwide who never go into an office.  On conference calls we hear kids, dogs, TVs, etc in the background.  It's normal and accepted.  I TC 2 or more days a week myself.

Most aren't so lucky.  If you work for FedGov, you're probably not doing much TC, especially when you get into the stuff that requires clearances.  It was a bit of a hassle to TC when I worked on a Treasury contract.  Not impossible, but I was limited in what I could do from home.

Well, I do. :D

But I seriously think there are a lot of jobs where people can telecommute, and the employers haven't figured it out yet.

And there'll be more and more of them as technology advances.

It's not a tech issue, but a policy one.  How do you allow an employee who works with Top Secret data to work from home?  Do you build a scif in their house?  Do you require visitors to their home to sign a log book?

Chris

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2012, 10:23:42 AM »

"Let me get this straight; I come in, work on a pile of paperwork that's over a week behind, enter it into a text-based app that's running on a server 1500 miles away, and do it in a makeshift cubicle in the corner of a hot conference room.  Why can't I just come get the pile on Monday and work on it in front of my own air conditioner at home?"
"Because we don't do it that way."
"Leave me out of that we.  Bye."