Author Topic: Things to do near Fort Lee/Petersburg, VA  (Read 9571 times)

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Things to do near Fort Lee/Petersburg, VA
« on: June 06, 2012, 08:11:38 PM »
So, I'm down here in Petersburg, VA for six weeks of training at Fort Lee.  As the only prior service/TDY student in my class, I am not allowed to fraternize with the other members of my class as they are all fresh out of basic and pretty much confined to the base.  Also, I'm the only one with a POV (drove down from Connecticut yesterday - tons of fun).

Being entirely on my own nights and weekends, I'm interested in things to do.  I'm well aware of the historical significance of the area vis a vis the civil war, and I intend to check out the Petersburg Battlefield at the least.  I also hear that Virginia Beach is kinda nifty.  Any other suggestions of things I'd be foolish to miss during my stay?
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Things to do near Fort Lee/Petersburg, VA
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 08:34:21 AM »
"Nifty" is a strange term to apply to VB.  Just be aware of the "No Cruising" along Atlantic Avenue.  The Old Coast Guard Station and Aquarium/Marine Museum are worth the time.

Doing the crawl in Richmond's Shockoe Bottom will use up your time, your $$, and many of your brain cells - or so I'm told.  Just about any night will work, but of course Friday & Saturday are prime times.  There has not been a shooting there for 2 weeks, so maybe the place has calmed down. [tinfoil] (Seriously, stupid3 has been responsible for most of the stuff that happens.  Tourists are pretty much left alone.)

Carytown (Richmond neighborhood) has some nightlife (Can Can's bar is probably the best place).  Plan 9 records has actual vinyl discs if you ever wondered what they look like.  The Galaxy diner is supposed to be good but you could never convince me.  Late afternoon or weekend days are great for watching the passing scenery.

Virginia Historical Museum and Virginia Museum of Fine Arts are the "must-see" cultural stops unless you like touring old houses - we've got a Tudor (Agecroft) and antebellum (Wilton).  The area arounf VMH/VMFA is "The Fan" and has interesting archetecture, as well as the world's largest collection of second place trophies (momuments to the defenders of the War of Northern Aggression/The Late Unpleasantness).  It's also near VCU which will give you summer school students.  Monroe Park has a free lunch for the homeless on Saturday/Sunday (people watching).  Museum of Aviation out at the airport (Byrd Field, don't fall for that RIC crap!) is supposed to be good.

42nd Street at the James River Park, and the rocks just west of The Pony Pasture (park there and follow the path) are good places to watch folks sun and soak in the river.  Just remember to check ID - school's out and , well, 'nuff said.

Buzz & Ned's BBQ (they beat Bobby Flay in a showdown) has their original spot on North Boulevard and a new, larger, very noisy spot on West Broad at Parham (Par'am - no "h"), but I prefer Alamo http://www.alamobbqva.com .

There's a brand new shooting range - Colonial Shooting Academy http://www.colonialshooting.com - have not been there yet.  The buzz in town is over their rules, but everybody seems to like the amenities.  Be sure to wink at them over the "CSA" - what else would you pick in the capital of the Confederacy?

A day trip out to Colinial Williamsburg/W&M University can be worth the 1 1/2 hour drive.

Or did you have something specific in mind?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 09:14:27 AM »
It's a bit of a hike, but Green Top Hunting and Fishing is worth a trip.  Probably the best hunting and fishing shop in VA and most other places.  Imagine a Bass Pro condensed into a store a bit larger than an average gun shop.  I heard they moved to a new location near the old one (taking over Gander Mtn's old digs), so you might want to call first.  There's also a Bass Pro near Green Top.

http://www.greentophuntfish.com/

Chris

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 06:24:01 AM »
It's a bit of a hike, but Green Top Hunting and Fishing is worth a trip.  Probably the best hunting and fishing shop in VA and most other places.  Imagine a Bass Pro condensed into a store a bit larger than an average gun shop.  I heard they moved to a new location near the old one (taking over Gander Mtn's old digs), so you might want to call first.  There's also a Bass Pro near Green Top.

http://www.greentophuntfish.com/
Chris

Disregard and completely forget everything Chris, who lives north of Ashland and therefore is a Yankee, said.

There is no place called Greentops and they do not sell guns and fishing stuff.  Most importantly, they will not be moving in to the former Gander Mountain place soon, nor will they resolve the issue of what to do about the shooting range permit they were granted for the vacant property just north of the current location - the one that does not exist - keep it there or move it all to the new location?

Bass Pro is a nice chain, and the seafood restaurant is considered by the locals to serve "exotic" food - meaning no BBQ.

If you are looking for a gun shop/range go visit The Smoking Gun on US 1/301 just over the bridge north out of Petersburg.  Bring your mask and decontamination stuff as their state-of-the-art filtration system consists of a closed room.  But their sign outside does say they no longer accept credit cards/checks from Bank of America.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 09:27:33 AM »
Disregard and completely forget everything Chris, who lives north of Ashland and therefore is a Yankee, said.
I was born further south than VA, so I am most certainly NOT a damn Yankee. :P

I moved NORTH to live in Richmond for a while.

There is no place called Greentops and they do not sell guns and fishing stuff.  Most importantly, they will not be moving in to the former Gander Mountain place soon, nor will they resolve the issue of what to do about the shooting range permit they were granted for the vacant property just north of the current location - the one that does not exist - keep it there or move it all to the new location?
I didn't know about the range.  However, I generally hit GT on the way south to NC or Richmond, so I don't get out there very often, 3-4 times a year.

Bass Pro is a nice chain, and the seafood restaurant is considered by the locals to serve "exotic" food - meaning no BBQ.
Yup.  Restaurant serves good food and BP is a decent chain, though not as good as GT for gunny stuff (and probably not as good for fishing, though it's flashier).

If you are looking for a gun shop/range go visit The Smoking Gun on US 1/301 just over the bridge north out of Petersburg.  Bring your mask and decontamination stuff as their state-of-the-art filtration system consists of a closed room.  But their sign outside does say they no longer accept credit cards/checks from Bank of America.
Awesome.  Just gotta love ranges like that. 

Chris

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 08:56:56 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions!
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!