Author Topic: I'm changing the oil in my truck  (Read 4137 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
I'm changing the oil in my truck
« on: June 09, 2012, 03:06:23 PM »
...and I got to thinking, "WTF am I doing?"  Oil is a couple of dollars a quart x 5, the filter is another $4, and when I'm done I gotta haul the oil and used filter to a disposal site.  There are places all over town that will change the oil for $20.  For $22, the Ford dealer will even use synthetic blend oil.  (I assume a Ford dealer knows how to change the oil in a Chevy)

"It's good, though..."

Hutch

• friend
Re: I'm changing the oil in my truck
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 03:12:41 PM »
I quit changing my own years ago, and live a fuller, richer life for it.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 03:15:12 PM »
On the diesel truck I own, it still works out about 1/2 to 3/4 of the price of having a shop do it.   11 quarts adds up in a big hurry....  :)
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 03:32:58 PM »
i always do this stuff myself, otherwise i will blame whatever breaks down the road on the lame mechanic that changed my oil. (of course it will give me a scapegoat)   ;/
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 04:35:32 PM »
Be careful who you have change your oil.

I read several years ago that WW was filling to the line on the dipstick, not what was required.
The difference was between 1/4 and 1/2 a quart per vehicle that was saved.

Also, I have run full synthetic for years.
When I put the oil in, I know that it is synthetic.
If I don't, I am taking someone else's word for it.

I'll keep changing mine for now....
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 04:39:30 PM »
...and I got to thinking, "WTF am I doing?"  Oil is a couple of dollars a quart x 5, the filter is another $4, and when I'm done I gotta haul the oil and used filter to a disposal site.  There are places all over town that will change the oil for $20.  For $22, the Ford dealer will even use synthetic blend oil.  (I assume a Ford dealer knows how to change the oil in a Chevy)

Synthetic "blend" oil is a scam. It's partially synthetic and partially conventional, thereby negating the advantages of using synthetic while costing significantly more than conventional. Either use all conventional oil and change frequently, or use full synthetic and reap the benefits. Don't fall for the "in between" scam.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 04:43:08 PM »
I read several years ago that WW was filling to the line on the dipstick, not what was required.
The difference was between 1/4 and 1/2 a quart per vehicle that was saved.

Roger that. Jiffy Lube shops around here do that. They don't fill from quart containers -- they pump from 55-gallon drums. They fill to the line on the dip stick, and they make it a point to show the customer that it's "full." But they haven't started the engine, and it takes about a half quart to fill that new filter they just installed, so by the time the car is out of the service bay it's down a half quart.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 04:48:25 PM »
I use Mobile 1 0w-30 and a Wix filter in my truck. My cost is close to $30.

I can leave a milk jug of oil next to my trash and garbage company will take it for no extra charge. They use waste oil to heat their shop.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zahc

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 05:21:54 PM »
I change my own just because I think I it's a good idea to crawl under there every few thousand and look around, and I don't trust people. It doesn't distress me that I'm not saving money this way. I also have an old truck that needs greased, and I like to use good grease. The problem is disposing of the oil, now that I live in town. It was easier on the farm; you could always use it to lube chains and sickle bars.

I also insist on using a Napa Gold oil filter (same as Wix). I used to be friends with people who did fleet maintenance and they cut apart all the old oil filters for comparison. There's a major difference.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 07:24:19 PM »
I take the cars to Sears for an oil change.  The motorcycles, I do myself.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 07:29:37 PM »
i always do this stuff myself, otherwise i will blame whatever breaks down the road on the lame mechanic that changed my oil. (of course it will give me a scapegoat)   ;/

Isn't that what fistful is for?  He is the local scapegoat.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 09:31:12 PM »
I don't change the oil to save money, I do it because I know I did it RIGHT- I own the vehicle and care about it vs. some mechanic to whom it's "just someone elses car". I also grease, inspect, etc when under the vehicle. This has saved me countless times by catching problems early.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 09:34:22 PM by Avenger29 »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Grebnaws

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 09:55:23 PM »
I don't save much on the Buick but I save a ton doing my own motorcycles. The bikes are changed every 1500-2000 miles with $$ oil and the Buick gets whatever package deal is cheapest that day. Lady Grebs will pay out the nose for a full service oil change at the dealership on her Nissan Versa if I don't stop her, so I let her spend ~$30 on premium synthetic with a filter and change it at home. A genuine synthetic lube job does cost more than conventional at the dealership, so buying oil at wally world and avoiding the dealership saves about half on that car, although Nissan doesn't even bother to recommend synthetic on that engine.

For me, it's about self satisfaction and  I wholeheartedly recommend that everyone else take it to a shop. It's a greasy waste of time and the savings aren't there unless you change a lot of oil.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 10:11:03 PM »
A 20 dollar filter and 16 quarts of oil would cost an arm and a leg at the oil change joints.
Always done it my self.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 08:03:50 AM »
I have a local, non-chain mechanic shop change my oil. They also check over everything & let me know when something needs attention (which is rare). I like supporting local small businesses....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2012, 11:11:55 AM »
I encourage my daughters to go to a good mechanic for oil changes.  He does a good job of keeping track of other mechanical issues at the same time.  One of them just got the Dutch Uncle treatment for overrunning a cooling system flush.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2012, 03:40:47 PM »
We use a "local" (the county seat, 26 miles away) independent tire and mechanic shop that's been in business nearly forever.

I just don't like crawling around under vehicles any more, and they get rid of the oil.

I did just recently repack our 4wd front wheel bearings - did one side one day, took a day off, and then did the other side.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2012, 03:55:08 PM »
I always took my oil to some auto parts store in town, they had a bin just for it.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2012, 06:57:46 PM »
I prefer to not let other people work on my vehicles. There are a few shops that I trust that get my business. For my tractors and lawn mowers I do the service myself as it would be cost prohibitive to haul them to a tractor shop. Nobody puts a wrench on my bike but me and one old school mechanic friend of mine.
As to the used oil, the tire shop I use has a waste oil furnace they get most of it and I use some for burning brush.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2012, 08:05:41 PM »
I'll do my own work, thanks.
I always fill the new filter before installation, I've never known a shop to do that.
A friend of the family owns a shop that burns waste oil for heat.
I know someone that's worked at the local oil change place for years. I wouldn't trust him to know which end of the wrench to hold, and he claims the rest of the people that work there don't have a clue.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2012, 08:34:22 PM »
I always took my oil to some auto parts store in town, they had a bin just for it.

If I make a 50+ mile round trip to take in the old oil, I might as well get them to change it, too.

Otherwise, I would just dump it on the ground - which I used to do.  >:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2012, 09:39:48 PM »
Otherwise, I would just dump it on the ground - which I used to do.  >:D
It came out of the ground, your just putting it back.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2012, 11:01:48 PM »
I typically do my own, been taking it in lately due to lack of workplace. In the future I hope to have a waste oil heater, all the more reason. I get to inspect the car, I use the right filter, I use either Mobil 1 or Rotella T depending on vehicle, the only other option is Chevron Delo, all good oil, not cheep.

I'll do my own work, thanks.
I always fill the new filter before installation, I've never known a shop to do that.
A friend of the family owns a shop that burns waste oil for heat.
I know someone that's worked at the local oil change place for years. I wouldn't trust him to know which end of the wrench to hold, and he claims the rest of the people that work there don't have a clue.

Yeah, pretty much all dat. Oil change takes 15 minutes anyway. Local shop had trouble, they put tires on a guy's car, wheel falls off a couple miles down the path. The local shop that I try to support cannot balance a tire to save their life. I just got 4 new at Wal-Mart and have paid for lifetime rotate and balance and replacement warranty for less than the local shop. Hate to do it to the local guys, but 4 tires is $$$$$
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2012, 11:04:32 PM »
I just got 4 new at Wal-Mart and have paid for lifetime rotate and balance and replacement warranty for less than the local shop. Hate to do it to the local guys, but 4 tires is $$$$$

Suprisingly the Walmart/Sams Club tireshops actually do a good job and have decent tires. Hence they are where I get my tires...but I am there during the installation process watching with a hawk's eye. I know damn well how to change a tire and balance it, I just don't have the machines to do so...but I can tell when someone isn't doing *expletive deleted*it right.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2012, 11:13:17 PM »
My next set of tires will be from treadwright.com  It might be a bad idea (retreads), but I gotta try it once.
"It's good, though..."