Author Topic: My Honda is toast. Hello, Yamaha.  (Read 1205 times)

White Horseradish

• friend
My Honda is toast. Hello, Yamaha.
« on: June 09, 2012, 04:26:54 PM »
I am reasonably sure I'm giving up on reviving the CM200. I've been PB-blasting the motor for weeks and I still can't budge it. Luckily, I haven't invested into it very much. $100 for the bike, $40 for the clutch and that's about it.

Meantime, I ran into a 81 Yamaha Seca 750 on CL. I think I might have overpaid, given that it needs a carb overhaul, but it runs and drives. You just gotta fiddle with the choke to keep it idling.

So far I fixed the ignition lock and bought a few electrical parts. The glass tube fuse holders are, apparently, notorious for falling apart on these.

The bike came with an extra set of carbs. Which means I can mess with them without disabling it completely. Now, I'm going to see what I can get for the Honda...
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: My Honda is toast. Hello, Yamaha.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 05:50:20 PM »
had a seca once upon a time    liked it
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 12:17:33 AM »
Secas are decent machines. As to the carbs, Get some Sea Foam into the tank and run it with that for a while. Might just be gummed up a bit and running some good cleaner through might clear things up.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 11:04:05 AM »
Well, the couple of things I've done so far seem to have made a ton of difference. Fixed a vacuum leak, replaced crappy old fuse holders. Still gotta fiddle with the choke, but not nearly as much.

I was thinking of running some straight SeaFoam through the carbs. See what happens.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 11:14:57 AM »
Be very careful riding a seca, mine had a tendency to fishtail during emergency braking.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 01:35:56 PM »
Be very careful riding a seca, mine had a tendency to fishtail during emergency braking.
I'm being so careful you'd probably laugh your butt off. Seriously, I haven't been on any sort of a motorized two-wheeler in more than 20 years. Well, up until a couple of days ago. :D

Plus, I think I will do the same as I do with cars I buy and replace brake pads and bleed the brakes on general principle before I go very far.

Robert A Heinlein

griz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 08:19:29 PM »
Great bike.  I like the shaft drive instead of a chain.  If it's been sitting more than five years or so you probably should replace the tires. 
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 09:11:44 PM »
Meantime, I ran into a 81 Yamaha Seca 750 on CL. I think I might have overpaid, given that it needs a carb overhaul, but it runs and drives. You just gotta fiddle with the choke to keep it idling.
Nice! The first bike I rode was my sister's Maxim 650,  I absolutely love that bike, and have dibs on it if she ever sells it.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 11:18:07 PM »
If its been a while, take the Basic Ridercourse again. It's very useful to get you back into a risk management mindset.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 09:17:13 AM »
If its been a while, take the Basic Ridercourse again. It's very useful to get you back into a risk management mindset.

Signed up already. Taking it in 2 weeks.

Robert A Heinlein

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 09:33:48 AM »
congrat, the seca 750 is a great bike.  i had an '83 with the tour package.  the hard bags on the back were junk, but the bike never quit.  pretty quick for a shaft drive as well, although until then i had only owned up to a 350.   glad to hear you are being cautious, the first time i gunned mine coming out of a turn i remember the front wheel lifted and shifted over.     almost killed myself a few times through my own stupidity and unfamiliar roads.   i still remember (20+ years later) the exact point where my knee (wearing shorts) would come in contact with the cylinder fins.  it would leave a very distinct three line burn that would be repeated every so often in exactly the same spot.  have fun, and ride safe!
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2