Author Topic: Map the states you have visited  (Read 9597 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Map the states you have visited
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2012, 08:29:39 PM »

Been a few places, I haven't been to a new state since 2006. I'll probably visit Louisana in March to see friends and fish for tuna.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2012, 08:46:50 PM »
Neat thread! Here is mine:

Foreign countries visited:
Japan
Brazil
Iceland
Greenland
France
Switzerland
Germany
Luxemburg
St. Thomas
Grenada
Venezuela
St. Croix
Puerto Rico
Belize
Aruba
Martinique
Cayman Islands

Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2012, 09:12:02 PM »
Japan
Brazil
Iceland
Greenland
France
Switzerland
Germany
Luxemburg
St. Thomas
Grenada
Venezuela
St. Croix
Puerto Rico
Belize
Aruba
Martinique
Cayman Islands

Last time I checked, Puerto Rico was still a US territory. ;)
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2012, 10:06:22 PM »
Neat thread! Here is mine:

Japan
Brazil
Iceland
Greenland
France
Switzerland
Germany
Luxemburg
St. Thomas
Grenada
Venezuela
St. Croix
Puerto Rico

Belize
Aruba
Martinique
Cayman Islands

Last time I checked, Puerto Rico was still a US territory. ;)

Along with St. Croix and St. Thomas (both part of the US Virgin Islands).

Customs :police:

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2012, 07:23:57 AM »
Along with St. Croix and St. Thomas (both part of the US Virgin Islands).

Customs :police:

Speaking of Customs.. When flying from St Thomas back to the US mainland, you have to go through an ICE checkpoint. I think it is mainly a USDA-type check (fruits, veggies, meat), but it still seems odd to have to do it.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2012, 07:59:12 AM »
Speaking of Customs..

Want to see something funny?
Watch the hilarity that ensues when a handful of fairly high ranking Naval officers come aboard the ship in Bermuda on our way back form deployment, ride back to Norfolk but transfer off VIA small boat before we moor and go through customs
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2012, 01:13:54 AM »
Dudes! Sorry I'm so late to the party.

I've also lived in Bosnia, and stayed a couple of nights in Budapest and Ontario, plus an additional night in Tazar, Hungary. Went just over the border into Mexico a couple of times. Our planes touched down in France and Ireland, and I did take a couple of bus trips through Croatia.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 01:32:57 AM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2012, 02:37:51 AM »
My map seems to have gone AWOL. Let's try again:

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

grislyatoms

• friends
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2012, 10:42:13 AM »
My map seems to have gone AWOL. Let's try again:

This one will disappear too if you linked to the survey site. Happened to me as well. They appear to clear that cache every 24 hours or so. To make permanent, save image and link via image hosting site or similar.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2012, 04:22:44 PM »

*Updated*.  Added NJ.

WA is green because that's where I work.
UT is green because I've just plain spent a lot of time there.
All the other green states I've actually had an address.

Countries outside US:  (parens around places where I just traveled through or overnighted)
  • England +++
  • Germany +
  • (Italy)
  • Greece +
  • (Spain)
  • Portugal +
  • (France)
  • Denmark +++
  • Sweden +
  • (Holland)
  • (Belgium)
  • (Canada)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 12:34:25 AM by ArfinGreebly »
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2012, 04:52:37 PM »
It's interesting to see how well-traveled most folks are on APS.

I stopped in Omaha years back on the return from a cycle trip out west. I was washing my motorcycle, and got to talking to a guy who was maybe in his 50's. He was at the motel for a wedding of some relative.

He was looking around at the city, and made a remark about how big it was. That struck me as a little odd, as I don't consider Omaha to be a big city. So, I asked him where he was from. The town where he lived was a small farm town in north central Nebraska, 200 miles from nowhere.

As we talked a bit more, I found out that this was the first time in his life he'd ever been outside of that little farm town. I can't imagine spending 50+ years in a small farm town and never seeing anything else. That's just weird.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2012, 05:15:35 PM »
If we're counting outside US too:

Germany
Italy
France
Spain
Denmark
Sweden
Austria
Switzerland
Netherlands
Yugoslavia
Mexico
Cayman Islands

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2012, 05:30:23 PM »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2012, 06:37:49 PM »
Pretty much just west of the Mississippi, with the exception of Cheddarland and Florida.

Lived in WA, OR, TX, MN and AZ.

I'll be filling this in much better in 2013... I have a 48 state (maybe 49) motorcycle ride I want to do in late spring, and a job that will allow me to do it.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2012, 07:10:46 PM »
Counting any country where I had at least one meal on the ground (no fly-overs) I looked at a 1960 world atlas and come to the amazing realization that the major countries I have not been to are Outer Mongolia and Maddagasgar  :O  The geopolitical map of Africa - especially sub-Saharan Africa - changed so much in the 1950s - 1960s that there may have been a few that I was in one day that were subdivided the next, causing me to miss one or two of the new ones.  The same holds true for portions of the Middle East that the British used to have and South East Asia that the Frencgh and Dutch used to have.
The thing is, as I mentioned before, I really cannot brag about this as a major accomplishment of anty sort.  I was a chld being dragged from pillar to post because my father was sent by the .gov to "help" scientists in those other countries solve issues of mutual concern.

As but one example, we visited Czechoslovakia (two days, or was it three?) where dad consulted with their food folks about keeping fat in canned food from going rancid in tropical heat environments.  Why were the Czechs interested in that?  Because they were supplying rations to the rebels in Portuegese Angol and a few other spots - something that did not become public knowledge until well after the dust had settled.  But dad told the US Army about it about a year before the fun started.

We (well, OK, dad) was supposed to spend one day at Ross Station so took me along so I could say I had been there in the dead of winter.  Weather problems kept us there an extra day, and I got to see what happens when you start a compost heap on the ice - the shaft was about 250 feet deep and they just kept throwing more stuff down there.  I wonder if it ever hit bedrock.

I remember bits and pieces of the journey, like the two trips above.  I also remember (Oh, how I remember <insert Maurice Chevalier voice please> ) the first time I became aware of chambermaids in French hotels.  We will not, please, discuss the first time I went to a Dublin pub.  But I can tell tyou it was no urban myth that if you could get your money up to the bar alcohol would be passed down to you.  I'd rather revisit the first time I tried to smoke a cigar - or worse yet, a Russian cigarette.

Between about 11 and 15 I was palmed off on folks my parents knew/knew of and allowed to travel by myself for varying lengths of time until I me back up with my family.  Talk about your classic liberal education!  Looking back I still do not know why I was not murdered, assassinated, or thrown under any of at least a dozen prisons.  The only thing I never worried about was being kidnapped or sold into the white slave trade.  Ask anybody who knew me - it would have made The Ransom of Red Chief look like a Sunday church social.

However, I paid dearly for all that.  I never learned how to socialize, make friends, or pretty much care about anybody who was not a family member.  Over the years since I was about 15 or so I learned how to fake it.  But there are still times that I revert to having essentially been raised by wolves and gypsies - well-meaning wolves and gypsies nevertheless.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2012, 07:49:05 PM »

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2012, 09:13:37 PM »
Fail. You have some Canada, eh territories on there. Those aren't states, you hoser.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2012, 10:51:54 PM »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2012, 12:36:02 AM »

For those of you who are just fascinated by maps, here's a little exercise in the four-color map theorem.

A little trial and error, but . . .

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2012, 12:39:47 AM »
vaskidmark, that's a fascinating story, but a little depressing in parts.

BTW, do you ever howl at the moon? ;)

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2012, 12:41:14 AM »

By way of comparison with the "where I've lived" map, I recently (eight months ago) did a little outline map of places I'd be willing to live -- where I'd be willing to move -- if I had to do so for a job.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2012, 07:46:42 AM »
You included Denver?!?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2012, 09:33:34 AM »
Crap. Mine flushed.

You know, I have never lived in a US State.

I have, however, lived in two Commonwealths (Pennsylvania and Virginia) and the District of Columbia.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2012, 01:02:32 PM »
Just a handful of foreign countries

Taiwan
Japan
Germany
West Germany
England
South Africa
Zambia
Zimbabwe
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain