Author Topic: So is Rand Paul a sellout or a visionary  (Read 14267 times)

Waitone

• friend
So is Rand Paul a sellout or a visionary
« on: June 12, 2012, 06:41:01 PM »
I suppose by now most people have learned that Rand Paul has endorsed Mitt for president.  Predictably the wookie suiters went into vapor lock.  Establishment republicans (aka Rinos) yawned.

What says the APS brain trust.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: So is Rand Paul a sellout or a visionary
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 07:21:37 PM »
RP for Veep?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 07:37:33 PM »
RP for Veep?

He's more valuable in the Senate.  (I think his endorsement was a little premature.  Romney is not to the magic number of delegates yet, but he's darn close.)
"It's good, though..."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 07:47:51 PM »
RP for Veep?

Probably....Ron & Mitt may have already cut a deal for Paul's delegates. Rand may have jumped the gun on the endorsement, though....

Politics as usual....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 08:05:02 PM »
I choose c.
Politician.
7-11 was a part time job.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 08:20:02 PM »
One more example...

The tea party & libertarian candidates are called extremists who don't know how to compromise.

But when an establishment candidate wins the nomination, they seem to set aside their pride and unify with the party leader.
When a tea party or libertarian candidate wins nomination, the establishment republican goes independent like a sore loser.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 11:47:47 PM »
It's about Winning!  They are all part of "The Matrix," even Rand Paul.

But, that said, we have a Bystander Republic.  Most of us are just along for the ride.  We are here to pay taxes and be grateful and shut up.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 12:03:42 AM »
I have the feeling that the endorsement is just what's expected of a politician who hopes to have the support of the party establishment for a presidential nomination in the future. Ya know, be a team player, etc.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 07:33:51 AM »
I hope we all understand Rand will not be the party nominee in 2016. Or 2020.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 07:38:17 AM »
And how did we all reach this conclusion?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 08:26:41 AM »
And how did we all reach this conclusion?
Rand's barber - if he has one. Seriously, just look at the dude's haircut.  :facepalm:

No way The Great Unwashed are going to vote for him, no matter how much sense he makes.

. . .Romney is not to the magic number of delegates yet, but he's darn close.
According to The Wall Street Journal on June 6, Romney had 1,398 delgates . . . 1,144 are needed to seal the nomination.  http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2012/06/06/romney-delegate-tally-now-at-1398/
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 09:22:32 AM »
I have the feeling that the endorsement is just what's expected of a politician who hopes to have the support of the party establishment for seniority, choice committee appointments, etc. in the future. Ya know, be a team player, etc.
FTFY.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 11:06:36 AM »

The answer to your thread title: Yes. Probably.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 11:57:56 AM »

According to The Wall Street Journal on June 6, Romney had 1,398 delgates . . . 1,144 are needed to seal the nomination.  http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2012/06/06/romney-delegate-tally-now-at-1398/

They're lying.  Romney is right at 1100 now (he had less than that on June 6.)  Paul has about 240.
"It's good, though..."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 12:12:46 PM »
They're lying.  Romney is right at 1100 now (he had less than that on June 6.)  Paul has about 240.
Source?  ???
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 12:14:00 PM »
Bob: how are you arriving at that number? Not counting straw poll states that went Romney but don't officially award delegates til the convention?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 12:28:55 PM »
I hope we all understand Rand will not be the party nominee in 2016. Or 2020.
???

I doubt he'll ever be a serious contender ......
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 01:12:54 PM »
I say visionary.

He realizes that B.O is going to seriously fubar this summer and will step up to the plate and rescue the situation.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 01:26:36 PM »
Bob: how are you arriving at that number? Not counting straw poll states that went Romney but don't officially award delegates til the convention?

'Zactly.
"It's good, though..."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2012, 01:55:16 PM »
???

I doubt he'll ever be a serious contender ......

I doubt the Republicans will ever be a serious contender if they keep putting up guys like Romney....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2012, 02:08:20 PM »
I doubt the Republicans will ever be a serious contender if they keep putting up guys like Romney....

Is that why the demos are running around in circles like headless chickens in fear the Annionted One will lose to Romney in November? ? ? ? ? ? ??? ;/

[popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 02:14:47 PM »
It's politics. It's not a sport.

Having your team carry the odd-shaped ball across the white line is not an objective in and of itself.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2012, 05:28:10 PM »

Is that why the demos are running around in circles like headless chickens in fear the Annionted One will lose to Romney in November? ? ? ? ? ? ??? ;/

[popcorn]
The Big O is doing so bad he would likely lose to anyone this time around.  Hopefully, that trend doesn't change.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2012, 05:35:10 PM »
The Big O is doing so bad he would likely lose to anyone this time around.  Hopefully, that trend doesn't change.

Let's not make the mistake of thinking people vote for him according to what he is doing instead of according to what he represents.   :mad:

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2012, 06:12:35 PM »
Let's not make the mistake of thinking people vote for him according to what he is doing instead of according to what he represents.   :mad:

DD

Oh, he may very well not be so lucky this time around. In any case, he now represents incompetence, malfeasance and economic decline to many people who voted for him on the last go.